Compost tea brewer vs Tote with large air pumps

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Is there any major difference?

I have a small room but will need a lot of tea. I'll pretty much be brewing perpetually. So I really don't want a bulky tea brewer if it can be avoided. I'd much prefer a 40 gallon tote with 2 or 3 large air pumps, pumping oxygen into it. And aside from the awkward dimensions of the store bought brewers, a tote would be much easier to clean and that's a big plus for me.

So, are there major benefits to buying a compost tea brewer over making a very simple tote and air pump type?

Thanks in advance.

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Check out the DIY vortex brewer. Get the 15 gallon one, lookin at I think 400$ total. I got a 35 gallon and god damn I can brew some tea. I put 2 ap - 100s to power tho

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use a 45gal rolling trash can because of the footprint, which is about as much as a 20gal tote I use to make smaller amounts of teas. Get one large air pump.

I've never used a vortex brewer so I don't really know if it's that much more superior to the method I'm using. The bigger the air pump, and with something like a 40gal you're not going to be able to get away with regular little aquarium pumps (I use a loud-ass EcoPlus or something like that, it's LOUD, there are better pumps out there), you have to get something suitably sized.

Hold on, I think I might have pix on my machine of my rig. I've got video, too, but I'd have to upload it to YouTube or something like that.

Everything is dry-fitted together so that it comes apart for cleaning. Thing is, because I drilled all the holes so that they're on the bottom of the PVC only, I never get any tea coming back up into the fixture. I just keep the air running while I put it in and out of the container and that prevents anything from washing back inside.

2013 05 22 110358
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I use a 45gal rolling trash can because of the footprint, which is about as much as a 20gal tote I use to make smaller amounts of teas. Get one large air pump.

I've never used a vortex brewer so I don't really know if it's that much more superior to the method I'm using. The bigger the air pump, and with something like a 40gal you're not going to be able to get away with regular little aquarium pumps (I use a loud-ass EcoPlus or something like that, it's LOUD, there are better pumps out there), you have to get something suitably sized.

Hold on, I think I might have pix on my machine of my rig. I've got video, too, but I'd have to upload it to YouTube or something like that.

Everything is dry-fitted together so that it comes apart for cleaning. Thing is, because I drilled all the holes so that they're on the bottom of the PVC only, I never get any tea coming back up into the fixture. I just keep the air running while I put it in and out of the container and that prevents anything from washing back inside.

So basically, it's a large air pump attached to pvc. The pvc is drilled with holes and is then submerged to aerate the water? Is it really that simple? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything...

Thanks.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Check out the DIY vortex brewer. Get the 15 gallon one, lookin at I think 400$ total. I got a 35 gallon and god damn I can brew some tea. I put 2 ap - 100s to power tho

Thanks man, I'll check out the thread.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So basically, it's a large air pump attached to pvc. The pvc is drilled with holes and is then submerged to aerate the water? Is it really that simple? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything...

Thanks.
It is REALLY that simple. Your goal is turbulence at the surface, which is where the most gas exchange occurs, and turnover from bottom to top. You want that tea to be ROILING. And I spent maybe $100 all told, including the loud-ass pump I cheaped out on. Since my NEIGHBORS can hear it across the street, I'll be spending a little more on the AP.

Ha! I DID upload it to YouTube. :D

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Hey there legalese..To keep things on the frugal side (do not translate that into being cheap) I prefer going to Goodwill or thrift stores to find my air pumps......found 2 awesome pumps, 3 airstones (totally unused), air lines and even an air distributor for a mere $5.14.....Subway has its 5 dolla' foot long - Byrne Burnham has a hell of a set up for the same price. ...now once you sample your homegrown with your 5 dollar air pump set up - then you can go hit up Subway for that 5 dolla' foot long........hehehehehe
Hope this helps.......
This is Byrne Burnham and I approve of this message....

T

toquer

I have a vortex Brewer the 30 gallon model. It didn't cost me anywhere near the retail price because I use the components from progress earth to make my tea. So I bought 5000 gallons of tea components and paid .47 cents a gallon including the brewer and shipping. Was very worthwhile to me. Their tea rocks and has replaced water altogether. To further the savings we brew it at half strength which is about 300ppm. So effectively it was even cheaper. But it was still a few grand in one transaction.

Top Bottom