2016 Interior Alaska Outdoor Autos

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

This started as a germination test of seeds produced last summer.
Pollen was provided by a landrace ruderalis from Fort Yukon. (North of Fairbanks on the arctic circle)
The mothers were two of my keepers. (TahoeOG, Mango)
2016 interior alaska outdoor autos

11 of 12 are above ground.
They will go outside in mid May.

This planting will be followed by a few more to get the grow spread out through the summer.

Good germination rate is a good start.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

So you chucked some pollen from a landrace rudy that is still a pure ruderalis on some female photo plants and these are the seeds sprouted?

Dunge

Dunge

So you chucked some pollen from a landrace rudy that is still a pure ruderalis on some female photo plants and these are the seeds sprouted?
Exactly.
The pictured seedlings are F1 regulars.
I intend to keep a male of each and see if I can produce some F2.
I don't know what to expect in terms of the autoflower genetics.
If I select for auto, heartiness, and bud structure, perhaps good things will result.

The ruderalis is stout, lush, and leafy.
Prone to bud rot, but otherwise very hearty plant.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

From what I understand, you might only get about 30% auto seeds from it and the other 70% of the seeds would be fast version photos.
I could be wrong because it could have to do with the dominant gene of the purity of the strain. What I was told about an auto being pollenated by a photo plant was that 70-80% of the seeds would be auto and the other 20-30% would be photo fast versions. I pollenated a few flowers on a fem auto with photo pollen and I popped all 18 of the seeds and the person on here that told me that was right, I got a few photos and the rest were auto.

So I ased if it were a photo pollenated with an auto if the %ages would be reversed but I cant remember if they answered me or not. I think it was on the accurate info on autoflowering strains thread.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

This started as a germination test of seeds produced last summer.
Pollen was provided by a landrace ruderalis from Fort Yukon. (North of Fairbanks on the arctic circle)
The mothers were two of my keepers. (TahoeOG, Mango)
View attachment 587910
11 of 12 are above ground.
They will go outside in mid May.

This planting will be followed by a few more to get the grow spread out through the summer.

Good germination rate is a good start.
Im following along!

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

I am very interested in this. I can't imagine we get warm enough down here in the summer months, but I'd sow some to try. Cool thread you've started :)

Dunge

Dunge

Got my paws on Yukon Rudy.
20160415 174001

About 30 small black beans.
This is the pure ruderalis I mentioned as the father to the auto cross experiments.
If you have a garden in interior Alaska, I'm happy to share the fun.
20160415 180943

The original experimental crosses after ten days from previous photo (plus a few more sprouts).
I like to see roots out the bottom before transplanting.

Dunge

Dunge

Up potted these little shits and probably killed a few in the process.
20160422 174109

Especially when compared to some of the same seeds planted by a professional gardener with a sweat green house.
IMG 1974

She said they took off after up potting, so I took the hint.
Now I need to provide them some better light.
Can't expect to get them outside for at least three weeks.

Dunge

Dunge

Got a call from the farmer who grew out the Mango mom and exposed her to his Ruderalis.
Seems we have some volunteers.
20160426 142648

These were all on the floor of the hoop house.
It's not been heated at all this year, and we rescued a bunch of seedlings.
Put about 60 into bigger pots.
He plans to sell them at the Ester farmers market.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

@Grow4me might need a few for outdoors or for his next run, I dont know if he has a clone source or not
wait, grow4me says female, maybe that is the wrong person

Grow4me

Grow4me

@Grow4me might need a few for outdoors or for his next run, I dont know if he has a clone source or not
wait, grow4me says female, maybe that is the wrong person
I'm way far away ... but thanks for thinking of me. I'd love to have some of those babies.

Dunge

Dunge

Seedlings now about six weeks old.
Interior Alaska has been record warm this spring.
Was able to occupy my tent weeks early. (and got away with it)
20160516 163413

I am keeping one male of each AMango and ATahoe. Upper left in their respective trays.
Other males were culled, and one runt that got selected against; by me.

One odd twisty top, but otherwise normal growth on all.
Hope the remaining seven are female.

Now that they are in 6" pots and out in the sun, they should take off.

Plan is to segregate my males and pollinate any matching girl who shows autoflower.

Gets cold at night, (no frost) but I have the tent closed up tight with two barrels of water to buffer the temps.
High temps are a problem. Have a nice fan, but my new thermostat is in the mail.

Saturday was a recorded high for Fairbanks of 82 F.

Dunge

Dunge

Turns out I have two AMango males.
20160519 164842

I was ready to cull one but then I thought, maybe not.
My objective is to make S2 seed, so shouldn't I use as many males as I can, since I have no way to evaluate them beyond basic vigor.
I will be looking for females with desirable auto flower and bud structure. Might just as well use as much variety in the pollen as possible.

Right?

AKM

AKM

Turns out I have two AMango males.
View attachment 601430
I was ready to cull one but then I thought, maybe not.
My objective is to make S2 seed, so shouldn't I use as many males as I can, since I have no way to evaluate them beyond basic vigor.
I will be looking for females with desirable auto flower and bud structure. Might just as well use as much variety in the pollen as possible.

Right?
Thanks for the seeds Dunge, will be planting and hoping for the best. How are you guys uploading pics?

Dunge

Dunge

Thanks for showing up AKM.
This thread is about to explode into a community supported breeding project.
Fairbanks serves as a commercial and cultural hub for interior Alaska.
Interior has a long history of artisanal marijuana growing.
For the robust Alaskan Ruderalis to find its way onto the world stage via crossing with global favorites is the goal.

I have learned what I think I know by reading thcfarmer.
So I will attempt to guide members of this "great auto flower search" as best I can from this platform.

Seed germination: http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

Project stages:
Get many trial seeds in the ground spring 2016 for outdoor growing.
Identify and segregate male plants. (if growing in beds, male plants may be culled, with pollen being provided by me or others)
Watch females for desirable characteristics.
Ability to auto flower after a suitable veg time. (flowering too soon is a cull)
Plants that start flowering after the plant is over 12 inches tall are candidates for seed production.
Pollinate flowers with matching pollen, (some of you are tasked with two varieties, so stay alert)
Get some of the resultant seeds back to me for distribution into the 2017 trial.

All growers have demonstrated willingness and ability to communicate in detail, and share an excitement for this search.
I am happy to have you all with me on this project.

I imagine us getting together in the fall to evaluate results and plan for next year.

Top Bottom