Heads Up In Mitten Fellow Farmers

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hot off the press, if you dont already know hope this helps........ Information is power.

New state law will allow roadside drug testing in some Michigan counties

ESCANABA, Mich. (WLUC) A new Michigan law named after an Escanaba couple will allow roadside drug testing in five Michigan counties.

Police-Crime_720.jpg

courtesy: MGN Online
In 2013, Barbara and Thomas Swift were killed in a crash involving their car and a logging truck.

The truck driver was convicted of having drugs in his system.

The Barbara J. and Thomas J. Swift law created a one-year pilot program that will allow some Michigan State Police officers to give roadside drug tests to drivers suspected of being under the influence of drugs.

State Sen. Tom Casperson (R-Escanaba) was the sponsor of the bill.

"The goal is to get to that standard so that law enforcement has tools when they're stopping people on the highway," Casperson said.

Only troopers trained as certified drug recognition experts could conduct the tests, which require a swab of saliva.

"That will give us a more immediate result of what possibly the people are under the influence of on the scene, which will help for court purposes and expediting the process along," Michigan State Police Inspector George Sailer said.

The police still need a valid reason to make a traffic stop.

Since this is just a study, the data cannot be used in a court of law against a person.

"If you got charged for impaired driving or reckless driving or anything and this test shows that you haven't had anything in your system, as an example, you could use it to defend yourself, but the prosecution can't use it against you until we get to that standard," Casperson said.

The pilot program will be in five yet-to-be-determined counties.

Casperson said after a year, they'll take the lead from law enforcement on how to proceed.

"Maybe they'll find some glitches that we need to address, so we're going to take their lead once they get into this and see how it's going, and if they think further testing is needed then I believe the legislature would react to that much like they did this time," Casperson said.

According to the Michigan State Police, more than 36 percent of all traffic fatalities involve alcohol or drugs.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com...ting-in-some-Michigan-counties-385259291.html

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Thanks for posting this, peeps need to be aware of it. I had heard about it, but no details.

Sinner D

Sinner D

Ain't that some sh!t. The bullsh!t our politicians allow policing forces to get away with shows how little they represent the people and how much they represent fiscal interests of the state.
Machines were, it may be said, the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor. ~Karl Marx

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
They haven't choosen which counties yet... this is some seriously shady ass bullshit there tryin to pull.

Someone needs to call the aclu....
Well bro , I have to agree , at least I am not over there . But sux for those of you that are.

I'm sure you can see the writing on the wall as more and more states push to legalize or have MMJ dispo's or rec use. Once you let the gov in at any level all the fun will be over. Sad but tell me it isnt true!!!!. I'm all for going back to the stone ages and black market and taking my chances cause I really dont like what I see coming. Guys and gals like us folk are going to be on the loosing end you can be sure of that. Never turns out well for WE the People when money,taxes and gov steps in. :( Peace out @LittleDabbie Hey bro good to see you slingin some veggies and what not. Flexn those green thumb skills eh? You tried any herbs at all like basil, rosemary, thyme. Nothing like picking your own erbs fresh off the plant. I cook a lot and standard erb is a staple in my garden.

2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

Keep pushing for "legalization" and find out what the new prohibition looks like. I guarantee you this is just the first of many more assaults on the public's liberties by the police, in service of their corporate masters.

Hopefully they keep this over the bridge and leave us trolls alone:D

2b2s

2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

Hey yooper 420 your yooper congressman sponsored the bill so only seems fair that you guys get the 5 counties:D

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

Ann arbor, Lansing, Wayne, Macomb, an grand rapids are my guesses. Seems they would go by the strongest population of card holders. If they go by fucked up counties, Muskegon, Benton harbor, flint, Jackson, an Wayne county. Lol lol yoopers area would be funny, u only pass a car ever so often lol lol who knows what they'll do

2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

I am curious as to what would constitute "probable cause" for them to breakout the swabs. I wish them yooper congressmen would leave the rest of us here in Michigan alone, for a congressman of such a small population to affect such a large population that are not from their district is just straight BS. If they want to hate on mj keep it over the bridge, lol:D

2b2s

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I actually don't drive so really this ain't a problem for me..

But my dood does drive stoned alot... :\ That is a problem.

This was bound to happen in one way shape or form.. Can't drink and drive, and while driving stoned is by no means a comparison to driving drunk, IT is still drugged driving, no different then taking oxycodone and driving..

Impaired is Impaired.. Law is the Law. We need to change it tho.

G gnome

G gnome

I actually don't drive so really this ain't a problem for me..

But my dood does drive stoned alot... :\ That is a problem.

This was bound to happen in one way shape or form.. Can't drink and drive, and while driving stoned is by no means a comparison to driving drunk, IT is still drugged driving, no different then taking oxycodone and driving..

Impaired is Impaired.. Law is the Law. We need to change it tho.
As both a pothead and a recovering opiate addict i can assure u thats its MUCH worse to drive on oxys. Apples n oranges pal

Latest posts

Top Bottom