If You Could Relocate Anywhere In The State, Where Would It Be? Why?

• Thread starter Juicin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Juicin

Juicin

I'm coming from the midwest (no bitching, I didn't fuck up the status quo) and am looking to buy a house and build some equity. Make some money doing something fun without all the stress of serious time as a possibility.

But having never been to any of the state but San Diego, where I am not going to live. I need to narrow down my search before I make a trip out there. It's not feasible to experience such a large state for myself.

So I'll start off by saying where I want to go just by doing a bit of research.

Sierra Nevadas. Maybe Mariposa county looking at zillow. Lot's of great priced homes out there with not that much snow. Not that far from Fresno where you can dump your shit, as opposed being out in the boonies like in the North. Seems like intense sun, grow a few trees for the hell of it. Probably run a nice indoor setup assuming it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

Also looking into mendicino/humboldt but property value seems a little absurd for what they're selling over there. I want to live in teh redwoods but I'm not spending 250k on a former meth den, even if it is easier to have a micro business. Sacramento seems nice but I really love the idea of growing a few trees twice as tall as me in a big ole mound.

So where would you move to if you could? Or would you stay right where you are

Freshone

Freshone

Are you sure you want to be in Cali?More people are leaving this state than coming for the first time in history due to high property values,overtaxation and just plain bad politics,just saying not trying to discourage.I also would not count on making a living growing at this point but if you just want to grow your own your good.
If it was me I would not rule out southern Oregon or southwestern Colorado for legal states.
Cali is an awesome state but trust me it has issues and the days of cash cropping are over unless you already have a network in place,just my 2 cents.Now that I think about it I would not go to any legal state as a newcomer and try to make a living growing weed unless I had lots of expendable cash,lots.If you have the balls for it there is still opportunity in illegal states,at least for now,best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Juicin

Juicin

California is the only state in the nation where the plant is not a crime

Go check the criminal penalties in any of the "recreational" states. Minimum 10x the penalties of cali outside concentrates

There is no other alternative.

I would prefer Oregon for the simple fact power is much more reasonable there. But I'm not leaving my home state to still face felonies

And Colorado is not happening, look at the penalties for gettin caught up with weight.

Edit - and as an out of stater, cali's domestic market isn't going to make or break me.

Freshone

Freshone

Ok I see what your getting at,grow here distribute elsewhere,that might work but if your worried about the law that is risky business too.
I'm not familiar with intricacies of the law in other states so I can't speak to that.

Juicin

Juicin

We'll see how it all plays out, but yea I have that option

It's a federal crime still and I'm not convinced on the merits of telling anyone unnecessary or registering my grow....Certainly not without a strong ability to deter people from fucking with my shit

Every other state has some dog shit laws. Even the recreational ones

lino

lino

Mendo is a tight society, at least it was back in the day... Cali had lots of raids to. But you're Rite, I'm in Colo now and if they catch you over on plant count you got prob... Our colo Gov is gearN up to take out home grows, advises other states how to raid home grows, he;s been bragN bout it on TV.
Cali political and economical system is crashing and is about to lose it Fed Funding and good chance to go bankrupt. In LA and other parts of S cali , city life is ugly behind the high life,,, I saw building with broken plumbing, urine in the streets bro,,, cpl places didnt speak my language. I had to buy a bike in spanish homie, I stayed there in a van , summer of 2010, cali is pretty in the tourist areas, but very rough behind the scenes, LA and parts of Cali have tent cities HUGE , miles and is like 2 different countries N and south. Visit both states Co and Cali and you'll notice as soon as you land, LA airport terminals looks 3rd world, Denver airport has Roman Style Spa's, gyms, tracks, bowling, magnificent hotels, art . new airport.
this has happen in just a few years, Are homes and Rent are SKYROCKETING!
Downside to Denver- - , well We recently got a strip of poverty bull shit from bout 100 blocks S on Federal Blvd to 100 blks N on Federal Blvd that popped up in the last 5 - 6 years and spread rapidly bringing filth and property damage. Its about to get cleaned up a little bit in Colo, maybe, boosting home values a little more, maybe well get our ghetto fixed. we got some politician leaning on Gov Hickpoop and Aurora Co to straighten up or we'll lose money also...
But Cali is making some VERY bad political decision that will finish bankrupting that state, there already out of money. They are in the negative -. They are about to lose their life line of Fed Funding, It will look worse than Syria soon- exaggeration guys but i hope ppl get what I'm sayN. Not hateN on Cali. Just the opposite , I'm livid, sad , to many emotion to express over Cali, It was MY paradise MANY YRS AGO , home away from my Colo home and I go there now and almost cry when I see what has happen to the state. Hey, we saved the ol Growth Redwoods back then and least there still there. So if ya go there, I'd live in the wealthy protected hoods IMO.

lino

lino

lots of articles that agree with your article online that cali is on the uphill since 2010. What if Cali loses the Fed Funding?
Do you think losing Fed funding will have any effect on Cali? It should be almost impossible to own the whole coast and go broke. But I read that could bankrupt cali... IDK , that the reports I've been reading...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm coming from the midwest (no bitching, I didn't fuck up the status quo) and am looking to buy a house and build some equity. Make some money doing something fun without all the stress of serious time as a possibility.

But having never been to any of the state but San Diego, where I am not going to live. I need to narrow down my search before I make a trip out there. It's not feasible to experience such a large state for myself.

Sierra Nevadas. Maybe Mariposa county looking at zillow. Lot's of great priced homes out there with not that much snow. Not that far from Fresno where you can dump your shit, as opposed being out in the boonies like in the North. Seems like intense sun, grow a few trees for the hell of it. Probably run a nice indoor setup assuming it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

Also looking into mendicino/humboldt but property value seems a little absurd for what they're selling over there. I want to live in teh redwoods but I'm not spending 250k on a former meth den, even if it is easier to have a micro business. Sacramento seems nice but I really love the idea of growing a few trees twice as tall as me in a big ole mound.

I have lived in four regions of the state now. L.A. Basin, which I would avoid like the PLAGUE (plus, if you're a real principal, keep in mind you're going to have to compete with cash buyers), the Sierra Nevada (was a LOT like living in Shreveport, La in the late 60s, if you want more details I'll give 'em, otherwise I leave it at that and let you draw your own conclusions), San Diego, and now am in the Mojave near Joshua Tree.

Where I was in the Sierra got just as hot, and just as cold as where I am now in the Mojave. 31" annual precip, which was at 2,500' elevation. VERY conservative, pretty anti-cannabis. In fact, geographically, the majority of the state voted against Prop 215, it was really SF and LA that carried that particular vote. Keep in mind that the higher elevations in some areas of the Sierra can get plenty of snow. My first year living in Tahoe we had 10' berms with 4'-5' on the ground. At lake level. (One of those berms saved my life in the high country when I hit black ice, too, so.. yeah, trade-off.)

I absolutely LOVED living in San Diego because there is SO MUCH to do! I had a wee boat, a 16' Chrysler hydro-vee, that we would take out onto the bay regularly. Nearby mountains, desert in Anza Borrego, and Tijuana is right there, too. MANY people in the area go to TJ for dental work and Rx's, as well as booze and other goods. Also, I really love living nearer the ocean. SD's weather, being so near the sea, is much closer to subtropical and milder. The same could be said of the L.A. basin of course, with regard to so many things to do.

All of California, outside the high elevations that are not desert, can get HELLA hot. It's just a fact of life here. The question is more one of how long does it stay hot and does it cool off at night. The high desert here does not cool off at night, the Sierra is preferable in that regard.

For pricing and availability, I think you're going to have a much easier time of it in the Sierra or desert regions. Although there are pockets out here where highly desired properties are being snapped up by the cash buyers, and this is especially true in those areas where MCRSA & AUMA have been embraced locally.
Ayup. For decades I've heard things like posted above, yet when the actual hard numbers come out... We're a top dog. No other way to say it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think I've met anyone I didn't like there. :) I *love* the art stuff, absolutely love it.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

The state of jefferson

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

The state of jefferson
That's where I am! Besides having to deal with about 86" inches of rain a year, and some of the racist mentalities, I LOVE it up here.

I bought a house with a 4 car garage and a 1500 sqft workshop that sits on just under half an acre of land for 120,000. The house needs a LOT of TLC as it was built in the 40's, but it's bones are redwood.

@Juicin ......look at Del Norte County. Just not INSIDE Crescent City limits as they have a ban on cultivation. We are on Pacific Power, not PG&E, and just a stones throw from Southern Oregon. I know someone up here that buys and sells houses on OWC if you are interested.

Juicin

Juicin

Mendo is a tight society, at least it was back in the day... Cali had lots of raids to. But you're Rite, I'm in Colo now and if they catch you over on plant count you got prob... Our colo Gov is gearN up to take out home grows, advises other states how to raid home grows, he;s been bragN bout it on TV.
Cali political and economical system is crashing and is about to lose it Fed Funding and good chance to go bankrupt. In LA and other parts of S cali , city life is ugly behind the high life,,, I saw building with broken plumbing, urine in the streets bro,,, cpl places didnt speak my language. I had to buy a bike in spanish homie, I stayed there in a van , summer of 2010, cali is pretty in the tourist areas, but very rough behind the scenes, LA and parts of Cali have tent cities HUGE , miles and is like 2 different countries N and south. Visit both states Co and Cali and you'll notice as soon as you land, LA airport terminals looks 3rd world, Denver airport has Roman Style Spa's, gyms, tracks, bowling, magnificent hotels, art . new airport.
this has happen in just a few years, Are homes and Rent are SKYROCKETING!
Downside to Denver- - , well We recently got a strip of poverty bull shit from bout 100 blocks S on Federal Blvd to 100 blks N on Federal Blvd that popped up in the last 5 - 6 years and spread rapidly bringing filth and property damage. Its about to get cleaned up a little bit in Colo, maybe, boosting home values a little more, maybe well get our ghetto fixed. we got some politician leaning on Gov Hickpoop and Aurora Co to straighten up or we'll lose money also...
But Cali is making some VERY bad political decision that will finish bankrupting that state, there already out of money. They are in the negative -. They are about to lose their life line of Fed Funding, It will look worse than Syria soon- exaggeration guys but i hope ppl get what I'm sayN. Not hateN on Cali. Just the opposite , I'm livid, sad , to many emotion to express over Cali, It was MY paradise MANY YRS AGO , home away from my Colo home and I go there now and almost cry when I see what has happen to the state. Hey, we saved the ol Growth Redwoods back then and least there still there. So if ya go there, I'd live in the wealthy protected hoods IMO.

Yea but my crew is insular in the midwest.

All crews are, but in this day and age where you have forums and all these cups to go to. Never been easier to network with your fellow cultivators, certainly going to be easier than where I'm from. Or the vast majority of the country outside rec/med states

Colorado as far as I'm concerned is a terrible place unless you're going to be 100% legal.

As I've been looking at houses, yea it seems like if I want to live t here and not have to deal with tweakers. I've got to pay up to live somewhere nice.

And I'd like to make a little money on the property too

It's got to be cali though, there are lots of reasons not to go. But numero uno is reasonable laws. Can't beat that, might as well stay at home if I'm giong to go to Maine or Colorado and take my chances here

Juicin

Juicin

I have lived in four regions of the state now. L.A. Basin, which I would avoid like the PLAGUE (plus, if you're a real principal, keep in mind you're going to have to compete with cash buyers), the Sierra Nevada (was a LOT like living in Shreveport, La in the late 60s, if you want more details I'll give 'em, otherwise I leave it at that and let you draw your own conclusions), San Diego, and now am in the Mojave near Joshua Tree.

Where I was in the Sierra got just as hot, and just as cold as where I am now in the Mojave. 31" annual precip, which was at 2,500' elevation. VERY conservative, pretty anti-cannabis. In fact, geographically, the majority of the state voted against Prop 215, it was really SF and LA that carried that particular vote. Keep in mind that the higher elevations in some areas of the Sierra can get plenty of snow. My first year living in Tahoe we had 10' berms with 4'-5' on the ground. At lake level. (One of those berms saved my life in the high country when I hit black ice, too, so.. yeah, trade-off.)

I absolutely LOVED living in San Diego because there is SO MUCH to do! I had a wee boat, a 16' Chrysler hydro-vee, that we would take out onto the bay regularly. Nearby mountains, desert in Anza Borrego, and Tijuana is right there, too. MANY people in the area go to TJ for dental work and Rx's, as well as booze and other goods. Also, I really love living nearer the ocean. SD's weather, being so near the sea, is much closer to subtropical and milder. The same could be said of the L.A. basin of course, with regard to so many things to do.

All of California, outside the high elevations that are not desert, can get HELLA hot. It's just a fact of life here. The question is more one of how long does it stay hot and does it cool off at night. The high desert here does not cool off at night, the Sierra is preferable in that regard.

For pricing and availability, I think you're going to have a much easier time of it in the Sierra or desert regions. Although there are pockets out here where highly desired properties are being snapped up by the cash buyers, and this is especially true in those areas where MCRSA & AUMA have been embraced locally.

Ayup. For decades I've heard things like posted above, yet when the actual hard numbers come out... We're a top dog. No other way to say it.

That's very good to know about the nightly heat, that's very relevant. I had only been thinking about the average temps during the day. I hadn't really considered the differences between night time temps, I should be checking that more.

Relative to where I am, even if I'm 100% illegal there is no risk worth mentioning. Beyond maybe seizing my assets.

The heat does seem to be an issue. I don't like the idea of wildfires, that shit is scarier than a tornado by orders of magnitude. And being from a water rich state I don't like the idea of living in a place that doesn't have an abundant source the most basic necessity of life.

Juicin

Juicin

That's where I am! Besides having to deal with about 86" inches of rain a year, and some of the racist mentalities, I LOVE it up here.

I bought a house with a 4 car garage and a 1500 sqft workshop that sits on just under half an acre of land for 120,000. The house needs a LOT of TLC as it was built in the 40's, but it's bones are redwood.

@Juicin ......look at Del Norte County. Just not INSIDE Crescent City limits as they have a ban on cultivation. We are on Pacific Power, not PG&E, and just a stones throw from Southern Oregon. I know someone up here that buys and sells houses on OWC if you are interested.

I'm looking for a very similar property to what you have. Probably a bit more land and less work needed on it though.

Pacific Power is a huge boon. Where I'm from power is less than 10 cents a kilowatt hour, no matter how much you use. Looking at the tiering system from PGE makes me want to vomit. Over 500 a year to run a fucking 1k lol, and that's if you stay at the tier 1 pricing

Oregon has shit laws too, not an option. If he does work in NorCal I'm interested though

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I know you want Cali, but if your willing to relocate to a place that is going to get you the most. Be a medical state and look through each state's laws like ND or AZ, then get signed up. Then sell to dispensaries, no tax(usually). Then your ahead of the game once that state starts considering going Rec. North Dankota paying $500 for garbage ozs. I would relocate there if I didn't have so much attaching me here.

Juicin

Juicin

I know you want Cali, but if your willing to relocate to a place that is going to get you the most. Be a medical state and look through each state's laws like ND or AZ, then get signed up. Then sell to dispensaries, no tax(usually). Then your ahead of the game once that state starts considering going Rec. North Dankota paying $500 for garbage ozs. I would relocate there if I didn't have so much attaching me here.

All of you talking about other states have not looked at the penalties...

None of them are an option,

The 2nd best is Massachusetts. But they have terrible forfeiture* law and very high cost of living as well

And if you get caught with weight you're still fucked.

I'm not leaving my state to eat felonies to produce a crop that isn't worth half what it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom