Pinching The Top Of A Bud In Flower..

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

I wish I could remember where I saw it but some chucklehead was pinching out the very top of his buds and said it dramatically increased his yield. He claimed that the bud would split into multiple distinct buds. Well I've pinched out a few as suggested and they are splitting into multiple tips. I'll post a couple of pics but the really proof will be the yield. I'm finding it very interesting at this juncture.
Pinching the top of a bud in flower

Pinching the top of a bud in flower 2

Pinching the top of a bud in flower 3

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I wish I could remember where I saw it but some chucklehead was pinching out the very top of his buds and said it dramatically increased his yield. He claimed that the bud would split into multiple distinct buds. Well I've pinched out a few as suggested and they are splitting into multiple tips. I'll post a couple of pics but the really proof will be the yield. I'm finding it very interesting at this juncture.
View attachment 675791
View attachment 675793
View attachment 675794
neat little trick and it does increase your cola yields a LITTLE bit but the reason i dont recommend it is because it also increases your chance of mold. You basically end up with buds touching each other which is a huge no no

Screenshot 2017 03 04 21 41 51 1
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

View attachment 675791
View attachment 675793
View attachment 675794
I think he was pinching tops instead of buds.

Planter01

Planter01

So GT21 you raise a good point that I had not given any thought and that is the dreaded PM and it's ilk. An increase in yield is just about always a good thing but I sure don't want to facilitate mold and bud rot for a few grams. I will say a topped bud doesn't waste any time recovering from the pinch and developing multiple buds. I have some controls in place so I'm gonna give it a shot for the sake of curiosity if nothing else. Topping your plants is not an advanced technique Mr Two Bears but you should give it a try. No guts no glory.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

So GT21 you raise a good point that I had not given any thought and that is the dreaded PM and it's ilk. An increase in yield is just about always a good thing but I sure don't want to facilitate mold and bud rot for a few grams. I will say a topped bud doesn't waste any time recovering from the pinch and developing multiple buds. I have some controls in place so I'm gonna give it a shot for the sake of curiosity if nothing else. Topping your plants is not an advanced technique Mr Two Bears but you should give it a try. No guts no glory.
I will be giving it a go. I plan to shoot for 8+ tops per plant. I'm going to add unsulphured molasses to get more trichomes.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I will be giving it a go. I plan to shoot for 8+ tops per plant. I'm going to add unsulphured molasses to get more trichomes.
Uvb will give you more trichs and thicker cuticles... much more than any molasses you try.
Ya its just something to keep in mind late flower. Just pull the little bushels apart once in a while a check for pm.

Planter01

Planter01

I should have used sumpin for scale. The pinched buds seem to be enjoying life and bulking up nicely. I really should be able to use the scale to figure out if there was any tangible benefit.
20170308 211625

20170308 211621

20170308 211617

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

I kind of do this but what I do is top the plant right as I put it in to flower or a few days after flower also helps keep the plant short

Planter01

Planter01

I just wanted to give you guys an update on the rarely discussed or practiced idea of topping/pinching a young colas. I should be able to get a pretty accurate assessment on which colas weighs the most. I'm thinking it's actually going to be the pinched flowers that win over the unpinched ones.
20170320 212938
20170320 212933
20170320 212930

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I've only done it by mistake or because I let it get bleached ( watch that stretch! ).
I sorta see this like piercing or other body mutilation. It must be for the art of it or, DAMN you seem to like pain or disfigurement.

Perhaps I lack imagination at the moment.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

If you want more tops, why not LST? I currently have a 14 topper, 12 topper, and two 10 toppers. It doesn't damage, or stress the plant, its easy to do, and the tops just keep coming. Every node of the plant turns into 2 tops when grown horizontally. You can also get creative, and bend those new tops down once a few nodes tall, and they too will produce 2 tops per node of growth before being bent. I'm growing mine halo style, in a circle around the outside edge of the planter. Seems to be working very well.

IMG 20170326 092428
IMG 20170328 111235
IMG 20170328 111352
IMG 20170328 111553
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

If you want more tops, why not LST? I currently have a 14 topper, 12 topper, and two 10 toppers. It doesn't damage, or stress the plant, its easy to do, and the tops just keep coming. Every node of the plant turns into 2 tops when grown horizontally. You can also get creative, and bend those new tops down once a few nodes tall, and they too will produce 2 tops per node of growth before being bent. I'm growing mine halo style, in a circle around the outside edge of the planter. Seems to be working very well.

u can do toping lst super cropping all that and still pinch and get 2 to 4 times the tops

only thing I could see on my end is if played with to much u might get nanners

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Somehow, I think this is just another way to approach what becomes a SCROG, but with a mutilation edge. I see the intent and where the thought goes, I would just consider it an incomplete and perhaps bizarre way of interpreting the style.

If you get decent fruit, the weight of the fruit becomes an issue - always my experience. This is why SCROG makes sense unless you are staying very compact in growth habit and mutilation is the only path to more flower on substantial enough branches.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Somehow, I think this is just another way to approach what becomes a SCROG, but with a mutilation edge. I see the intent and where the thought goes, I would just consider it an incomplete and perhaps bizarre way of interpreting the style.

If you get decent fruit, the weight of the fruit becomes an issue - always my experience. This is why SCROG makes sense unless you are staying very compact in growth habit and mutilation is the only path to more flower on substantial enough branches.

LOTS n LOTS of ties for sure

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

u can do toping lst super cropping all that and still pinch and get 2 to 4 times the tops

only thing I could see on my end is if played with to much u might get nanners
Yea, stressing a plant too much definitely breaks it. I prefer low stress myself, sometimes with topping. I start early, soon as 3rd node hits I'll bend it, and continue to bend and shape my lady how I want/need her, with every new node. Never developed banana's, just a bunch of tops.

Top Bottom