Maine's First Grow Journal????

• Thread starter Maine.Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Ok, I know this isnt Maine's first grown journal, but I needed a title and since I also wanted to do a grow journal and since I also didn't see anything like it here in the 'Maine' section, it worked. I've been debating joining a Forum for years (rollitup vs 420 mag vs grasscity) but just wasn't sure which one to join. When I saw this Maine specific forum here at thcfarmer.com, I figured I had to start here.

So a little backgound on me...

Been smoking since I was 11 (picked it up from good old dad). Started researching growing in middle school on the library computers after school. Having no horticultural roots or any interest in plants in general, this plant just facinated me. Maybe it was the psycological effects taking hold of my young brain...maybe it was the uniqueness of the plant visually...maybe it was just the right time for me to get a real interest in life...I don't know. But I do know I fell in love. I smoked from 11 to 15 and tried to learn as much about the plant as possible. The summer of 1998 my family moved to Maine from Mass, and I actually stopped smoking for a few years. I continued to research and learn about the plant and eventually got back into smoking when I was 17 going off to college. It wasn't until I was 18 and returned home from my freshman year of college that I even truly acknowlegded to my dad that I smoked and that we finally smoked together. Shortly there after we started our first grows together. I don't even know/remember where the plants came from or how we got started but we did. That was about 2003-4 give or take. Between then and now my father developed lung cancer. He wasn't diagnosed until stage 4 early in 2016...and passed shortly thereafter. I have continued on with the knowledge gained and shared between us over the years and have completed 2 complete grows on my own since his passing and currently am working to complete my 3rd (somewhere around DAY 35-40 of flower). I am also currenty working to start a new grow, in a newly built grow room, with all new equipment...which is where this Grown Journal starts :)

Details -
Room # - 2 (have '1' already - planning a '3' - plus my general work / clone space)
Size - 13ft x 7.5ft
Lights - 1 x 1000 MH/HPS and 2 x 1200 King-LEDs
Water / Feed system - Recirculating Ebb and Flow
Nutes - General Hypdroponic Flor Series
Medium - Clay
Plant sites - 6
Plants - MOB (been growing for about 6 years now)

And those are the dirty details. This room was built / based off a current system I already have in Room 1. That system you cant really buy any more (which is why I built one, plus it was much cheaper), but it's basically a 'simpler' version of the Hydrofarm complete systems you can easily find on Amazon, but without the fancy digital control bucket. Basic Ebb and Flow with - 1 x 55 Gal Res, 1 x 5 Gal Control bucket, 6 x 5 Gal Grow Sites (with grow bags), 2 x Air Stones, 1 x Pump to Control Bucket from Res to fill the sytem, 1 x Pump to Res from Control Bucket to drain the sytem and 2 digital programmable timers to control the timing of the pumps. 3 of my grow sites actually came from Room 1 cause they were not being used, but the others (and the control bucket) are simply black buckets from Home Depot, drilled and connected with the approriate fittings and 3/4" Black line. I even sewed the needed grow bags cause I couldn't seemingly find any to fit in a 5 Gal bucket (they all had the wrong dimentions...and as mentioned, the previous system my father bought 6 years ago is no longer available). I am almost ready to get my 'little guys' into this room and am excited to see how it performs in comparison to Room 1 and the set up in there. Right now they are all still in my clone space under a T5 just working on getting a little bigger. they are fully rooted and growing, I just like my plants a certain height before I put them in these buckets. Yesterday, a buddy of mine came over and gave me a hand hangin mylar around the room, and I do have to say it has certainly brightened up an already pretty bright space haha. Was pleasently surprized :)

I've included some pics of Room 2 and some shots from what I've got going on in Room 1. Once I get my third room up and running I will have the perfect rotational system. Especially here in Maine where I can only Flower 6 at a time and have 12 others in Veg. I will end up with - 1 Room in Flower 12hr/12hr lights (6 plants) ready to switch back to veg when finished - 1 Room in Veg 20hr/4hr lights (6 plants) ready to switch to Flower when the other room finishes - 1 room constantly in Veg 24hr lights (6 plants) to begin the grows for a couple weeks (first site for the clones and no veg) - and 1 general work area / clone space. If I can get this down to a good system then I should be able to get a rotational harvet ever 2 - 3 Months (should be right around 2) and might not even need to create a Room 3...but who doesn't want more space haha. As noted, I've been growing MOB for about 6 years now, exclusively, but just bought some Purple Bud Fem Seeds from White Label Seed Company off SeedSupreme.com and they are also sending me a couple free Fems from random :) Super excited to see what those are (keeping my fingers crossed they are NYC Desiel, but I know I'm dreaming haha). I'll be updating this journal weekly with updates and pics...and I sure hope there are some Mainers out there who will enjoy this journey. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Feel free to ask questions or just chat about growing here in Maine. Peace folks...

Maines first grow journal
Maines first grow journal 2
Maines first grow journal 3
Maines first grow journal 4
Maines first grow journal 5
Maines first grow journal 6
Maines first grow journal 7
Maines first grow journal 8
Maines first grow journal 9
Last edited:
Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Ok, so I know its a little childish to be this excited, but I've got the last piece coming today for my new room. The fill valve I had in the control bucket just wasnt putting out enough gpm so I had to buy a new one (was taking over 30 minutes to even half fill my buckets...my other room fills in 15). Once it gets here I can start to thinking about planting , the girls are certainly ready!!! And as dumb as it might be, I'll put a pic up of the new valve just cause I'm excited haha. And big thanks to [Homesteader] for the link to the sugar distibution ( https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/do-i-need-so-many-fan-leaves.88571/ ). I just never bothered to look into it before, and I have no excuses as to why. And now I just cant wait to get going with this new found knowledge haha. I've got 12 little ones...and I've decided I may end up doing both of my rooms. I'm worried that for some reason these plants won't surive in Room 2 (it is a completely new set up so I'm just being extra cautious). I'm about to harvest Room 1 (part this weekend, part the next), so I'm gonna plant 6 in Room 2 as planned and put the other 5 into Room 1 once it opens up next weekend (probably plant the weekend after that). And who knows...if the plants in Room 2 look great at that time (will be about 1-2 weeks in at that point) maybe I'll just put these outside somewhere and let nature take its course. But, if I'm not seeing any growth in Room 2 or have any doubt, then I'll just put the 5 I have left into Room 1 :)

Also picking up some of my final fittings today for my Res drain system. Currently if I want to drain either Res bucket in either room, then I pull out and extra pump and attach it to a line and run the line out to my drain, drop the pump in the Res and pump it out. But I already have a pump in each Res designed to pump water out to the control buckets, so I figured there was an easier way. Last night I ran a 'permanent' line from my drain through the back of both rooms and behind both Res buckets. I am going to connect it to the lines coming off the Res buckets with the appropriate T's and on/off valves so that when I want to drain a Res, I just need to flip the appropriate on/off valves and kick on the pump already in place. No more moving the extra pump and line around :) Gonna be so awesome and actually allow me to maybe do a couple days of clean water between fert changes. Currently I just add water to whatever is already in the system once it starts to run low...and add fert to whats already there as well. Might be nice to dial it in a bit.

On another note - I've spent a couple hundred bucks recently on various 'parts' for my grown rooms. Water lines to run new water outlets into my Rooms (no more running a hose to fill the Res buckets), doors for both rooms (no more zipping and unzipping) and now this drain system (no more manual pump moving around). And I'm starting to wonder...with the amount of work these 'little' things are saving me, why did I not do them sooner hahaha.

Peace folks...

jipp

jipp

yeah that was a helpful link for sure.. i forgot whop posted when i read it the other day.. he has a bunch of good info on light too.. over m head but you keep reading the shit has to stick sooner or later.

welcome to the farm.. i do not think you will find better help anywhere else with out a lot of fishing ( we have some good growers here.. sigh, one day maybe.. laughs )..

i went looking for some info and stumble onto a lot of grow forums and speaking of childish wow. hah

and its not childish to get excited about grow gear man.. we only live once so whatever makes us excited is good.

rock on, and im along for the ride sir.

chris.

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Yeah, since reading just that little bit, I've meant to go back and break out my [Ed Rosenthals Marijuana Growers Handbook] to read through again and see what info might be in there which didn't stick the first few times haha.

Sad day for me though. Just got back from the PO Box...nothing :( Did get my valves and T's though while I was out, so drain system updates coming tonight. Still got a few more hours to get my float...so fingeres crossed!!!

Thanks man. Hope you enjoy the next few months. This is def the first time I've truly tried to document to an extent like this...should be interesting and fun. Hoping to put together some 'time lapse' type video when all is said and done as well :)

Peace

jipp

jipp

bummer nothing in the box.. but on the other hand when it arrives it will be like chritsmas morning. even better!

yeah, it does take work to document a grow.. hardest part is taking pictures.. sometimes you just do not want to stop to take a photo. heh.
chris.

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Got my control bucket fill valve :) But it still feels a little restricted :o FAQ on Amazon had conflicting info...1 said 31 GPM, 1 said no where near...more like 3 GPM if even. I was hoping for somewhere inbetween. We will see later when I get it installed and do a second test fill and drain. Fingers crossed...

Peace folks...

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Time for an update...been a few days. So that valve was a total bust :( I ended up sending it back and simply drilling out the hole on my origional valve and it seems to be working better now :) Fills the system in about 15 minutes give or take. I've also cut the room down to actually 6 sites (from the previously pictured 6 sites haha) and moved the lights a little to accomodate the space. I've added a drain line straight off the control bucket fill line with a couple shut off valves so I can basically control if the pump fills the sites or drains the Res (so much easier) and I did a final drain of the sytem tonight so I can fill it back up tomorrow. I've got the little ones just sitting on top of the sites for tonight, taking in their new lights...tomorrow I plant!!! I can't wait!!! :D

20170428 211216

20170428 210841

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Haha right, I hear you...I woke up this morning and my first thought was how much I wanted to jump up, get going and getting those suckers planted :) It was like I've been waiting all year for those little presents under the tree haha. Turns out my motivation was short lived tho and I went back to sleep...but they're going in today.

And if I can get my dry space strung up today, I'm planning on picking my first couple plants today from Room 1. Been lookin at the trics the past few days and most of what I see has turned cloudy (I'd say around 80%)...and I'm just starting to see my first ambers. I also bought a borescope the other day off Amazon but much like the fill valve, I've started the return almost instantly :( I was really hoping it would make my tric investigations a little easier than with my usual 60x-100x mini scope thing (you guys knwo what i'm talking about) but alas...I mean, the little scope is great, adjustable focus and strength blah blah blah...but I have yet to find a way to see the shit I need to see without turning my hat around, taking off my glasses (thats my routine in that order haha) and then sticking my face up against my plants with my scope. I use it at 60x and maybe i just need to 'practice' with it @ 100x, who knows. I was really hoping this fancy thing would allow me to just hold my phone in one hand, hold the scope in the other and place it up to the plants and voi la. Not so much. Maybe if I had spent more than $8 hahahaha...

Peace folks

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Girls are looking good :)
20170509 071357

In addition, my seeds are in CT...should be here in just a couple days which means in about 4-5 months I'll be enjoying some 'Purple Bud' and whatever my mystery seeds are.

I've also finshed up my harvest from my other room and should be starting to jar up tonight :D

Peace folks...

S

ShadowFarmer

Any update on how this grow is doing?

Also, I think you'll find the "6 flowering plant" rule is per adult. So, if there are 2 or 3 adults in the house ...

1816 House

1816 House

Holy Cow, that grow is sophisticated.
It's like what Batman would have in the Bat Cave.

I'm still in the Grow 101 class, and probably going to have to repeat it if I don't do more homework!
Is the limit really 12 x flowering per Household? I haven't really gotten to the point of needing to know that yet, but might as well find out sooner than too late.

The 1816 House

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I just spent about an hour looking for any proof that there is in fact a 12 per household rule and I found nothing. I thought I saw it somewhere but cant find it now so, I don't think it is true. Unfortunately, I can no longer edit my previous post.

We are supposed to have our plants tagged with our name and license or state ID number though- even in our own homes.

S

ShadowFarmer

I just spent about an hour looking for any proof that there is in fact a 12 per household rule and I found nothing. I thought I saw it somewhere but cant find it now so, I don't think it is true. Unfortunately, I can no longer edit my previous post.

We are supposed to have our plants tagged with our name and license or state ID number though- even in our own homes.

I went looking and couldn't find a restriction per household. The statues are linked on the top left column of the following page. I don't see any, but there's always the possibility some other law, interpretation, rule or whatever exists.

https://legislature.maine.gov/9419

1816 House

1816 House

but there's always the possibility some other law, interpretation, rule or whatever exists.
Thanks, I looked at that too and good call on the interpretation, that is always fluid.
I also saw that silly" put your name on it" rule...I think that is geared more for caregivers which makes bureaucratic sense, but goes against every fiber of common sense that I used to have, lol.

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

ShadowFarmer - I owe you a large debt of gratitude for point out something so obvious :) I never even gave that a thought with regards to the number of plants. You rock my friend!!! With that knowledge, I think I'll end up putting 3 more back in each room (18 total) and making the 2 rooms just a few weeks apart with regards to harvest, for ease of harvest and dry timing. And I'm finding, no matter if I flower both rooms around the same time, or alternating...that there really is no need for any other space than the clone space I already have (just means I have to clone more each time). Doing both rooms a few weeks apart will also give me SERIOUS harvest (at 9 plants a room I think each room could harvest 1.5-2 lbs as I sit..maybe more once I get back to topping) and will still give it to me about every 4 months give or take, rather than smaller harvest every 2 months if I alternate the rooms. Anyway....

1816House - While I certainly appreciate the compliment, this is probably more on the lines of something you'd see in the village idiot's mud hut hahaha.Super simple to set up and maintain. Like stupid easy once you break it all down. Most set ups truly are tho honestly. Fanciest thing about this was running the water lines for the Res fills, so I can just turn on the fill valve and fill the system directly. And the drain system I ran for both rooms...but again I say, honestly, both were simple and cheap. I'm just glad I have the perfect space for something like this and that my father and I got into it long ago haha.

As for an update...its going well. I resisted all urges to defoliate large leaves along the way. I did selectively prune a bit during veg, but tried to leave the large sugar factories haha. Looks like it made a difference for sure. The plants in the middle of the room have grown some huge colas, tho I will aim for bigger next time haha. The plants on the ends (under the LEDs) grew some nice buds and they do look frostier again as they did in the last room...but they are not nearly as large as the plants under the HID. I'm going to end up doing another 'test' of sorts coming up. I've noticed 2 rooms in a row now, the plants under the HID lights grow arger buds. But everyone is going LED. What am I missing? I've got 2 1200 watt 7, or 9 band 'full spectrum' LEDs, one at either end...but they are doing as well as I think they should...so what am I going to do? Add more lights haha. I'm actually going to take the 1000 watt HID from this room and put it into Room 1 with my other 1000 watt-er. I'm also going to take the 2 1200 watt LEDs I have in that room and bring them over here to room 2. So that'll be 4800 watts of purple light haha, set up against the 2000 watts of MH/HPS. The kicker is in 2 pieces tho...the LED room, has 4800 watts of light output but truly only uses 235 watts a light (940 total). But I've seen them grown next to the HID and they do not seem to compare. But, the world keeps moving to LED and the thing is the true 'Full Spectrum' sun-like white/yellow light like the Cree LED Chips and stuff that's more sun-like with green, yellow orange included and not just the 'red/blue'. Even CFLs have that much right hahaha. So I've a couple new 300 watt ones of those coming haha...not Cree one but like the ones I have, but 60 x 5 watt diodes which will be set up with the 120 x 10 watt :) So that'll be 5400 watts of LED. I'll get the 300's in the middle with the 1200's all around the edge sort of. This should get some of those green/yellow/orange color tones...and we'll see it can match the HID lighting. But again, it'll be 5400 watts output, but only 1100 usage compared to the 2000 with the HID. Anyway...time for pics.

First up is my new pipe
20170715 212346

5/15 - Plants get bigger :) looking good
20170515 072814

20170515 072918

5/25 - and bigger still...
20170525 072236

6/1 - I had started noticing some 'burn' on some of the plants. I'm actually not sure what it was. Only happened on like 1 or 2 leaves a plant. But i did drain the water (which I do regularly) and fluhed with plain water for a few extra days and then went back to it. Eerything has looked god since :)
20170601 073226

7/9 - 1 month jump -About 4 - 4.5 weeks into flower give or take and doin well. Little to no defoliation with select pruning till this point.
20170709 204155

7/12 - Defoliate fan leaves
20170712 213344
20170713 202247
20170713 202255

Hope that qualifies as an update, damn well been long enough haha. Thanks guys. Be harvesting in 2 weeks...maybe less :D more pics to come...

1816 House

1816 House

...more on the lines of something you'd see in the village idiot's mud hut hahaha....

Nope, that's me most the time. This is me a'learning PH stuff.
1390005760_8.jpg

Any time I have doubts or safety concerns about an decision I'm going to make, I ask "What would Jethro do? ", then do the opposite!
However, when logic and reason don't work, then the solution is to put my gigantic brain to work and adjust the PH like only Jethro could do it.

Maine.Grower

Maine.Grower

Haha nice...brings new meaning to WWJD for sure. I've been trying to real care with the PH this grow as well. I had stopped just cause of the extra steps and I wasn't convinced I truly needed to, but felt it did affected the outcomes of the last few grows. Guess we'll see in a few weeks :) I've got natural well water (which is good...I think) which comes out at around 7 - 7.5 consistently so I've gone throught my whole bottle of PH down between the 2 rooms. Need to order some up pronto :o

Top Bottom