botanicare nutrients....any problems ?

• Thread starter beast
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

From what Ive seen, finished product from users of the pure blend line all tend to have the same smell and taste, individual strains tend to get dominated by the fertilizer and end up with a similarity. Its not immediate, its kind of an after taste thing/exhale after smoking and just smelling the sack or jar. I know a ton of people love it, grow great crops. IMHO I put the Pureblend and advanced nutes in same boat... You can grow great yields, healthy plants, the finished product will all have a similar odor and taste dominated by the fertilizer. The strains lose their uniqueness even seem plasticish. Ive seen alot of stuff grown with these nutes.

my .02
Man what this guy says is so damn true. Hits the nail on the head. I have a friend that only grows strictly with Botanicare and I must say he produces great frosty bag appeal. The bud always seems so similar in structure and odor, that exhale almost ALWAYS taste the same. Also it is sort of seems fake, especially when you take a hit and realize it looks ALOT better than it smokes and the high isn't ever anything to write home about.
This is one of my main motivators for going organic, and unlocking the actual terpenes that are naturally present. While also maintaining that great true organic high. Let the bag appeal come naturally not forced and the genetics speak for themselves.
(I know this is a revival after a 5 year hiatus, just showing MY .02 cents on overpriced nutes);)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
All grown with botanicare. All different strains not one smells or tastes the same. Been using for 10 years. Just gots to figure out what works best for your grow.
IMG 0716
IMG 0929
IMG 0890

IMG 0894
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

All grown with botanicare. All different strains not one smells or tastes the same. Been using for 10 years. Just gots to figure out what works best for your grow.View attachment 712003View attachment 712009 View attachment 712012
Nice,Whatever works for you. All I know is (maybe it's my awesome taste buds) when I smoke a botanicare grown only product it has a very distinct after taste after the exhale. And some of my friends agree and disagree on this, I'm just happy to see it brought up on the forums (little bit of affirmation).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nice,Whatever works for you. All I know is (maybe it's my awesome taste buds) when I smoke a botanicare grown only product it has a very distinct after taste after the exhale. And some of my friends agree and disagree on this, I'm just happy to see it brought up on the forums (little bit of affirmation).

It's not your "awesome taste buds". It's a matter of over fertilizing the plants or giving them only what they need.

Fertilizer is not food to plants. We don't "feed" them. It's more like vitamins as building blocks to them.

They "eat" light for energy.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If I feed my plant grapefruit juice will it taste like grapefruit on the exhale?

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

It's not your "awesome taste buds". It's a matter of over fertilizing the plants or giving them only what they need.

Fertilizer is not food to plants. We don't "feed" them. It's more like vitamins as building blocks to them.

They "eat" light for energy.
I would have to do a lot of research right now to dispute these statements.
Instead I will just say show me the evidence, as all that seems really ass backwards.
We need a @jumpincactus, pretty much Rhizo aficionado.

EDIT: The bottom half of your statement, I believe over fertilizing does effect taste a lot. But Cannabis is the most over fertilized crop on the planet. Sooo....?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would have to do a lot of research right now to dispute these statements.
Instead I will just say show me the evidence, as all that seems really ass backwards.
We need a @jumpincactus, pretty much Rhizo aficionado.

EDIT: The bottom half of your statement, I believe over fertilizing does effect taste a lot. But Cannabis is the most over fertilized crop on the planet. Sooo....?

Evidence of what? That plants use light for energy? It's basic horticulture.

If they used minerals for process wouldn't they likely need more than 50 or 100 parts per million at a time? They are mostly building blocks.

They absorb light to photosynthesize. With weed. Very high light levels can be absorbed.

And I am not interested in any over fertilized crop. And I sure don't do it to my meds.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Evidence of what? That plants use light for energy? It's basic horticulture.

If they used minerals for process wouldn't they likely need more than 50 or 100 parts per million at a time? They are mostly building blocks.

They absorb light to photosynthesize. With weed. Very high light levels can be absorbed.

And I am not interested in any over fertilized crop. And I sure don't do it to my meds.
I understand how photosynthesis works, but to go as far as saying nutes aren't food and only building block or "vitamins". A coco grower or Hydro grower can't just give their plants water and light, they have to put some ppms in there in order to FEED the plant of its basic needs. It's splitting hairs at this point, it's a subjective term "feed."

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I understand how photosynthesis works, but to go as far as saying nutes aren't food and only building block or "vitamins". A coco grower or Hydro grower can't just give their plants water and light, they have to put some ppms in there in order to FEED the plant of its basic needs. It's splitting hairs at this point, it's a subjective term "feed."

This is what I was trying to say. I just did a quick search and every link says the same thing. That I already know and thus try not to overfertilize plants.

But it's not subjective. You said the nutes make the weed taste bad. And I say you are adding too much fertilizer.

Plants make their own food.

Of course they need the elements either we provide or they get from the earth to do it.

But only what they need to make chlorophyll. The fertilizer is not food to make them grow.

What do plants eat?
A:
QUICK ANSWER
Plants make their own food through a process known as photosynthesis, which involves creating energy from sunlight, water, carbon dioxide and other nutrients. The substance in plants that makes the energy is known as chlorophyll, which is located in the leaves and is what gives plants their green color.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I've used the PBP and CNS-17 lines of botanicare. PBP is not the best nutrient for marijuana growing from my experience. The CNS-17 gave me way better results. I believe part of the problem is the their use of Fish meal and seabird guanos and their extraction process for them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've used the PBP and CNS-17 lines of botanicare. PBP is not the best nutrient for marijuana growing from my experience. The CNS-17 gave me way better results. I believe part of the problem is the their use of Fish meal and seabird guanos and their extraction process for them.

I don't really believe that one nute is better than others so much as long as the ratio is balanced and the nutes are complete as you need for your system.

I am more concerned with the relationship of the nutes with my source water and medium I grow in.

PBP Grow is perfect for my well water and ocean forest with added large perlite for drainage.

No ph adjustment needed even with 8.0 ph well water. I add the pbpg each watering after the potting mix is depleted of its nutrients.

I start low and after peak budding taper the concentration back down for ripening.

Seems to work well for me. and simple. No other additives at all.
IMG 6235

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I don't really believe that one nute is better than others so much as long as the ratio is balanced and the nutes are complete as you need for your system.

I am more concerned with the relationship of the nutes with my source water and medium I grow in.

PBP Grow is perfect for my well water and ocean forest with added large perlite for drainage.

No ph adjustment needed even with 8.0 ph well water. I add the pbpg each watering after the potting mix is depleted of its nutrients.

I start low and after peak budding taper the concentration back down for ripening.

Seems to work well for me. and simple. No other additives at all.
View attachment 712864
Any nutrients will work if you can dial them in for your specific cultivar. I use base hydro nutes' only with just a slight N reduction in flower and a slight PK boost. 450-500ppm (@.5 conversion) for most feeds in coir DTW. At that level I am only talking about 30 ppm of N reduction and 30 ppm of P increase.
My 400 ppm well water doesn't play well with my coir, that's because 300 ppm of that is CaCO3 . That much carbonates in my water make chasing pH a bitch in hydro and coir, not to mention the cal deposits attached to the sides of the pots is terrible to remove. The pH of my well water is over 8.5 with that much carbonates in it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Any nutrients will work if you can dial them in for your specific cultivar. I use base hydro nutes' only with just a slight N reduction in flower and a slight PK boost. 450-500ppm (@.5 conversion) for most feeds in coir DTW. At that level I am only talking about 30 ppm of N reduction and 30 ppm of P increase.
My 400 ppm well water doesn't play well with my coir, that's because 300 ppm of that is CaCO3 . That much carbonates in my water make chasing pH a bitch in hydro and coir, not to mention the cal deposits attached to the sides of the pots is terrible to remove. The pH of my well water is over 8.5 with that much carbonates in it.

That is pretty hard water. I would likely cut that in thirds with ro water. And then I would still use a nute with no calcium probably. Like jacks classic maybe. For my soil grow I mean.

You use it unfiltered?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

That is pretty hard water. I would likely cut that in thirds with ro water. And then I would still use a nute with no calcium probably. Like jacks classic maybe. For my soil grow I mean.

You use it unfiltered?
Use to as its all I had, didn't like dumping copious amounts of pH down into my mix to get the pH down to at least 6.5 for use in coir. RO now and with my nutes' I don't even use a cal-mag product anymore.
There's nothing wrong with PBP, but it does require the use of a cal-mag supplement with RO and I've believe that the use of cal carbonate, mag carbonate and potassium carbonate is not a good choice for nutrient delivery. I have a good idea why they use it as if I use my RO water to mix it it puts my pH at 5.0.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

And I,m not a big fan of guanos and fish meal as a nutrient sources. Give me a big compost pile of oak leaves and earthworm casting to replenish the soil of nutrients. Just as mother nature does.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And I,m not a big fan of guanos and fish meal as a nutrient sources. Give me a big compost pile of oak leaves and earthworm casting to replenish the soil of nutrients. Just as mother nature does.

I use it for convenience. I'm used to it for years now.

But I have been wanting to try a mix with organic dry frets mixed in and water only unless need to topdress. I will at some point.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

And I say you are adding too much fertilizer.
Funny you should go to my thread, and then you might understand a thing or two about my fert schedule before speaking. Going organic vs your salt farmin lol
Of course they need the elements either we provide or they get from the earth to do it.
So is this not feeding or are you splitting hairs again? Because yes that's how photosynthesis works but in a near 0 ppm medium, they need certain elements to feed on as we all know. The light allows them to feed their selves but so does the medium.

https://www.reference.com/science/plants-grow-c561411e78111455
^--"Plant growth is caused by water that is absorbed by the plant's roots and sunlight that spurs photosynthesis, which is the process of creating food for the plant. Plants also need space, time, clean air, healthy soil and nutrients to grow. The main ingredients that plants need are phosphorous, nitrogen and potassium." ;)
I checked out your link, went around and looked up "How do plants grow?" There you go, Case in point. Seem a bit close minded, and these are all obvious facts there buddy.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Funny you should go to my thread, and then you might understand a thing or two about my fert schedule before speaking. Going organic vs your salt farmin lol

So is this not feeding or are you splitting hairs again? Because yes that's how photosynthesis works but in a near 0 ppm medium, they need certain elements to feed on as we all know. The light allows them to feed their selves but so does the medium.

https://www.reference.com/science/plants-grow-c561411e78111455
^--"Plant growth is caused by water that is absorbed by the plant's roots and sunlight that spurs photosynthesis, which is the process of creating food for the plant. Plants also need space, time, clean air, healthy soil and nutrients to grow. The main ingredients that plants need are phosphorous, nitrogen and potassium." ;)
I checked out your link, went around and looked up "How do plants grow?" There you go, Case in point. Seem a bit close minded, and these are all obvious facts there buddy.

Got a link to your thread. I will check it out. I will look to learn.

I use a bottled natural ingredient fert. Only the calcium and trace elements are really salts in liquid form.

Honestly I don't know how we got into this anymore.

Top Bottom