Help With Nutrients And Hardening Off

• Thread starter KaylasKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Hi, I've got a few questions since my last thread. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, my plants are looking very healthy. Also far happier under an LED, you can really tell when they're thriving.

My first question is, since this is going to be an outdoor grow, when should I put my plants outside? I planted them May 27th and they've now been growing for 4 weeks. I'm attaching pictures for you as I think they're growing slower than the average plant. I just want to know when to start hardening off.

Before anyone attacks me on my crazy stem lengths, I will be sorting that out when I do another transplant. For now they are very sturdy from the fan blowing on them and I don't want to worry about it. However I do want to ask if you think I should move the LED down more? I've seen no signs of light burn but I have noticed the stem growing up a bit more and obviously I want to avoid that for now.

The leaves have become much bigger and the stem soooo much thicker. My plants in general just seem really happy and healthy and I'm very pleased. Just want to stay on this track.

My final question is, when should I give these babies nutrients and can anyone recommend me a product that works, and isn't overly expensive?
I'm using biobizz all mix for anyone who might want to know.
I also live in the U.K. so I'd appreciate not having to pay a ridiculous shipping fee.

Thanks in advance peeps! :)

Help with nutrients and hardening off
Help with nutrients and hardening off 2
Help with nutrients and hardening off 3
Help with nutrients and hardening off 4
Help with nutrients and hardening off 5
Help with nutrients and hardening off 6
GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Plants are looking bigger since I last saw :) yes I would move LED closer you will notice light burn if that were to happen within a day or so the plants won't looks very happy so yes move light down. If u really wanted to u can give them a very small dose now go with organic and there is less likely to burn NOT saying you can't lol but less likely but they prob don't need it really yet at that size :) I'm sure there growing at just a fine pace :) you are just to excited :)

Toaster79

Toaster79

You're either gonna need much more light or put them out about now or at least keep them outside where they can get the most sun but keep your eyes on them so they don't get burned and soil doesn't get too dry.

You've got good soil and good nutrients. Just keep them on water for now.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Plants are looking bigger since I last saw :) yes I would move LED closer you will notice light burn if that were to happen within a day or so the plants won't looks very happy so yes move light down. If u really wanted to u can give them a very small dose now go with organic and there is less likely to burn NOT saying you can't lol but less likely but they prob don't need it really yet at that size :) I'm sure there growing at just a fine pace :) you are just to excited :)

Yes much bigger now, just still too long :)
Haha maybe you're right. It's also that I've had a friend from Sweden over for a week and I feel like I've neglected them, when in actual fact I've probably done them good without the constant staring and moving the pots around under the light hahah.
I definitely don't want to risk burning so I'll wait. I also don't have any nutrients at the moment so I'm happy they're not begging for anything more yet.

Thanks!

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

You're either gonna need much more light or put them out about now or at least keep them outside where they can get the most sun but keep your eyes on them so they don't get burned and soil doesn't get too dry.

You've got good soil and good nutrients. Just keep them on water for now.

Okay so it's basically between needing to give them another LED or placing them outside?
It's just that the weather here is so bipolar and cannot be relied on, hence why I need to buy a small greenhouse for the days there's sudden rain. This week there was 3 days of 32 degree weather which would have been perfect, but now the upcoming 4 days are just rain.
Thanks, I'll debate between the two ideas. Might just get another 1-2 LED's and wait for the sunny days to become more consistent.

Farmer P

Farmer P

I say put them in some bigger pots and bury them up past the round leaves, then move the light way closer. You may need a better light. What kind are you using?

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

I say put them in some bigger pots and bury them up past the round leaves, then move the light way closer. You may need a better light. What kind are you using?

For now I'm leaving them in the pot and will transplant and cover later on. I still need to purchase 3 bigger pots as transplanting them in the same pot won't even be good enough to cover the amount of stem I have, the pot's too short.

I've attached pictures of the LED and homemade lamp shade (haha). I know, it's not enough. I need about 2 more right? The issue is this is my parents place and their electricity bill is gonna be crazy if I add another. I'm trying to use as little light as I can while still providing them with what they need, before placing them outside.

I will however move the light more down tomorrow :)

IMG 1864
IMG 1869
IMG 1875
Farmer P

Farmer P

See how close you can hold the back of your hand for like 30 seconds without it being uncomfortable and move it about that close. Then keep an eye on them! I would hate to cause you to burn up your babies lol. Good luck!

Toaster79

Toaster79

For now I'm leaving them in the pot and will transplant and cover later on. I still need to purchase 3 bigger pots as transplanting them in the same pot won't even be good enough to cover the amount of stem I have, the pot's too short.

I've attached pictures of the LED and homemade lamp shade (haha). I know, it's not enough. I need about 2 more right? The issue is this is my parents place and their electricity bill is gonna be crazy if I add another. I'm trying to use as little light as I can while still providing them with what they need, before placing them outside.

Five of those lights might get you somewhere.

One more thing. How's the weather in september-late october in you neck of the woods?

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Yes much bigger now, just still too long :)
Haha maybe you're right. It's also that I've had a friend from Sweden over for a week and I feel like I've neglected them, when in actual fact I've probably done them good without the constant staring and moving the pots around under the light hahah.
I definitely don't want to risk burning so I'll wait. I also don't have any nutrients at the moment so I'm happy they're not begging for anything more yet.

Thanks!

Ha they will stay long for awhile but once they mature a lil more u won't even notice also after u transplant them u can bury stem I see would not put them outside yet tho. Haha there your lil girls and u feel guilty for neglecting them lol we all go through that. Yes plenty of time for nutrients I'm assuming your going to transplant into the same soil they are already in?

Crop Duster

Crop Duster

Hi KK
First order of business is move the light close to the top of the plants.
That is only 20 watts and stands very little chance of burning your ladies.
I would start with about 12 inches away and move closer once I notice them growing healthy.
I would not use fertilizer until weeks after you transplant. The soil if it is quality should contain enough nutrients for healthy growth for a few weeks.
I would be careful putting them outside because the wind will blow them right over. But try to get them outside a couple hours to soak up some sunlight and strengthen them up. But beware of the wind, it's not your friend with delicate seedlings like that.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Five of those lights might get you somewhere.

One more thing. How's the weather in september-late october in you neck of the woods?

Lol I'm not buying 5 LED's. That's also not what I've been told by other people.
My only option is to put them out then. September is still fine, October is cooler.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Hi KK
First order of business is move the light close to the top of the plants.
That is only 20 watts and stands very little chance of burning your ladies.
I would start with about 12 inches away and move closer once I notice them growing healthy.
I would not use fertilizer until weeks after you transplant. The soil if it is quality should contain enough nutrients for healthy growth for a few weeks.
I would be careful putting them outside because the wind will blow them right over. But try to get them outside a couple hours to soak up some sunlight and strengthen them up. But beware of the wind, it's not your friend with delicate seedlings like that.

Hi!

Thank you :) I'm going to put the light much closer tomorrow, especially if my LED in specific isn't strong enough to burn it.
Okay. But I won't be transplanting for a while, is this okay? They're now 4 weeks old. I think I'm going to give them nutrients in about 2-3 weeks.

As for them going outside, they'll be in a small green house to protect them from wind so no worries there. Trust me, I've come planned with the English weather, haha. But during the sunny days I will take them outside the greenhouse in order to soak up as much sun as possible. Can't guarantee England will even have enough.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Ha they will stay long for awhile but once they mature a lil more u won't even notice also after u transplant them u can bury stem I see would not put them outside yet tho. Haha there your lil girls and u feel guilty for neglecting them lol we all go through that. Yes plenty of time for nutrients I'm assuming your going to transplant into the same soil they are already in?

Glad to hear that :)
And yeah I won't put them outside just yet, I'll wait for them to strengthen up a bit.
Exactlyyy. I'm lucky I study from home so I can check on them whenever. Some people don't have as much time and their babies are just fine, so I just gotta chill out, haha.
Great, because I doubt I have the money for nutrients right now. But yeah they'll be in the same soil.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

See how close you can hold the back of your hand for like 30 seconds without it being uncomfortable and move it about that close. Then keep an eye on them! I would hate to cause you to burn up your babies lol. Good luck!

I can touch the light itself and it's fine. That's what I found weird at the beginning. Because I was testing that method out but felt little to no heat. I might as well move this light as close as possible then.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Glad to hear that :)
And yeah I won't put them outside just yet, I'll wait for them to strengthen up a bit.
Exactlyyy. I'm lucky I study from home so I can check on them whenever. Some people don't have as much time and their babies are just fine, so I just gotta chill out, haha.
Great, because I doubt I have the money for nutrients right now. But yeah they'll be in the same soil.

Ok cool so if ur gonna use same soil they will feed off the nutrients from the transplant in there new soil. England huh ya not much sunny days out there lol need that cali weather lol ya thats good I work 50 hours a week so my time in my garden can get s little spread out lol but when u love sonthing you make time for it :)

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Ok cool so if ur gonna use same soil they will feed off the nutrients from the transplant in there new soil. England huh ya not much sunny days out there lol need that cali weather lol ya thats good I work 50 hours a week so my time in my garden can get s little spread out lol but when u love sonthing you make time for it :)

Yeah precisely. So those nutrients in the new soil will last me about another 4 weeks after right?
Haha I know. I actually want to move to California, but it'll be hard to get into.
Couldn't agree more. Time and patience for the things you love are what will satisfy you in the end.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Yeah precisely. So those nutrients in the new soil will last me about another 4 weeks after right?
Haha I know. I actually want to move to California, but it'll be hard to get into.
Couldn't agree more. Time and patience for the things you love are what will satisfy you in the end.

Depends they def will have extra nutrients to feed off so yes it will buy u more time but also the bigger and healthier the plants get the more they feed but it will def buy u some time :) maybe 4 weeks maybe 2 lol hard to get into but so worth it lol NOT to knock England in any way :) I have family they comes from there my Grandmah still has her accent haha. Exactly :)

Crop Duster

Crop Duster

Definetly move that light as close as possible. And add a small oscillating fan if you haven't already, that too will help strengthen the plants and provide fresh CO2 for them to grow.
As far as transplanting I would say your good for another few weeks at that rate. It does not appear to be root bound, just stretching for more lumens.
I live in California, so I'm not at all familiar with your weather or seasons out there in England. So yeah, keep them warm in the green house, and bring them out when the conditions are best.
Edit: also if your going to feed them, go light at first and gradually add more as you see there are no problems. I would suggest you get a PH and PPM/EC meter before administering any nutrients. That way you know what your giving your plants precisely.

Top Bottom