Chitin & Chitosan Many Benefits

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So how many of you organic farmers are using chitonase as and amendment to your soils and crops?

You know the derivatives from crab or shrimp and lobster shells. Insect frass is also a great source as well.

Studies have shown that chitonase can induce your crops SAR response by juicing up its immune system. It has also been shown to be a pest and fungal repellent.

I will post a few of the paragraphs for some of the benefits but to save space will also post the link so my fellow nerds among us can read the entire study. Most excellent read and I found it fascinating how many other uses this compound has other than the Ag industry.

I also found the link to the plants stomatal response very kool as it helps with transpration and water reduction from excessive transpiration. I use crab shells and insect frass myself but I use it in my compost pile to allow the herd and natural decomp to break the shells and frass down as it becomes more available thru the mineralisation process to be taken up by the rhizospshere when you plant.

So here are some snippets from the study. Be sure to visit the link at the bottom of the thread and read the entire paper when you get a chance.

Chitosan is derived from chitin, a polysaccharide found in exoskeleton of shellfish such as shrimp, lobster or crabs and cell wall of fungi.

Chitosan is a one of the most abundant natural amino polysaccharides extracted from the exoskeleton of crustaceans and insect, from fungal cell walls, etc.

Chitosan effects on plant response were first characterized as an elicitor. It was shown to be able to activate plant defensive genes through the octadecanoid pathway [70]. According to the defensive gene induction activity, chitosan was proved to induce disease resistance in several plants, with pathogen and plant cultivar specificity

http://medcraveonline.com/APAR/APAR-01-00006.php

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
How ironic. I just posted up about diastatic malted barley flour. More available chitin than anything. Clackamas has actually removed shellfish from his mix because he finds it to be more expensive and overlapping since he amends with MBP.
Thx for that little tidbit. Logged into the data base. :D Ya NH crabs shells and sourcing insect frass is a tad much. I appreciate the lead!!!

Organikz

Organikz

Thx for that little tidbit. Logged into the data base. :D Ya NH crabs shells and sourcing insect frass is a tad much. I appreciate the lead!!!
Anything that guy says is gold. His interviews are always simple and he gets mad if the guy interviewing starts making things too complicated. I think most guys have learned to not add input unless asked.

"Okay...I wanna talk about worm castings!" Lol

I also wanted to add that he has seen increases in worm metabolic processes. MBP stimulates cellular mitosis.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i bookmark the paper for later,,but i use crab meal and fishbone meal,ewc all in line with bio char and love results,,most folk go with blood and bone meal,,i dont like the idea,of certain animal remains in my soil,,the crab and fish bone meal also have anthor purpose most dont believe,,the combo is great for killing off them ornary pesky grubs and slugs,,that i like i use neem cake to help with others,,but thanks for the link i check it out,one thing about organics is you get plenty of bug activity,,with companion planting and planting desirable flowers to draw in bees wasp and flying polinaters is also a plus for organic gardening ,so dont forget them either,,you forgot to mention,i think anyway they are a slow release amendentment very benifitul

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i just read that long ass book,,very interesting,,only thing not mentioned that i was dumb founded about,is with all the study there was no mention of the difrent effect of the watertable,,are and what typical foundation were they done on,,for instince my water is very alkaline,,simply because of the runoff of some of these farmers and chemical going back into the water table,,were these studies singled out in difrent situations and effects from difrent factors,,aint no way im use roaches in my garden either,same with piss,,i just cant get next to that whatever science says or not,,hahah,,i used oyster shell flour ,crab meal and fishbone meal in my soil and didnt even realize the benifits from it,,i do now and thing i will up my amount to 6 to 8 lbs for ever 100 sq ft,,inscet frass is to damn expensive for me,,im talking about 4700 sq ft garden here,,my ass pocket and got nothing but sand in it lately,,i just put in a 400 dollar order today at kelp4less,,i only got 25 lbs of oyster shellflour and 20 lbs crab meal and several other amends,,wish i would have seen this before hand,,all good next month

B

BeanCrayons

Yo! Full transparency, I work for Tidal Vision, a company that produces chitin and chitosan for a bunch of purposes. We sell it mostly for water treatment, beer/wine fining, and as an input in other company's nutrients. That said, we do sell a bunch of liquid products with chitosan and some dry flakes that you can make your own solution with. We even make a product similar to the fining agent you posted up top with a higher content of chitosan (also on amazon).

We're the only company in the US that makes chitosan. Honestly I don't know much about how it works in an horticultural context other than the basics jumpincactus listed, but if you want it, we can sell it to you at a better price than you'll find elsewhere—without having to pay for shipping it from China.

DM me for my email address.

brazel

brazel

Before you remove crab meal remember it provides additional inputs that coot gets from his EWC

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Before you remove crab meal remember it provides additional inputs that coot gets from his EWC
Indeed. Coots is the shit, but when it comes to individual gardens and enviros they are in some of what he professes are what works for his setup and it isnt set in stone as to what worx for everyone!!! But I give dude major props!!!! He is on point.

Good to have you mention the crab brazel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom