Advice Needed About Minimum Drying Time

• Thread starter BrandyBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BrandyBud

Hi! As I posted on another thread, I planted an autoflower sour diesel speculatively in my garden this summer and although it's only small has lots of small buds and I'm excited about harvesting and trying my first crop ☺️

It's now 11 weeks from seedling and still not ready. The pistils are starting to turn brown but most are still white, especially the tiny buds lower down.

As a complete noob I didn't realise at the time of planting that it actually takes longer than the stated ten weeks until harvest and the problem is that I go on holiday in 11 days time for two weeks.

I accept I will probably have to chop the plant a week or so early which is fine, but I would like some advice on what to do regarding the drying. If I have just a week between chopping it and going away, should I dry it by hanging as long as possible? How should I then store it? I feel sorry that I have misjudged the times and that I won't be able to dry and cure it properly. I will be using a vapouriser so am not too bothered about harshness etc. My main concern is making sure that the dried buds are going to be ok when I return ie no mold.

I have been reading about paper bag drying and was thinking of hanging the buds until the day I go on holiday and then putting them in paper bags while I'm away, but think that this may create mold if they're not turned every day?

If I dry them instead as much as possible how should I store them to prevent mold forming? In an airtight container or in paper bags where they would get some air? Or leave them hanging the whole time I'm away?

I feel sorry that I've run out of time and hope you guys can give me some advice on what to do so I can sample my first harvest when I get home from my break. Thanks!

Polar510

Polar510

Hey Man congrats on the successful grow!
11 days is plenty time to get this wrapped up.
Chop it and hang to dry 5-7 days until the small branches snap. Maybe an extra day or 2 since You will not be there to burp the jars.
Trim it and put it in Mason jars with a humidipak.
When You get home Immediately burp and air out the jars. If You have dried it out enough before You jarred it You should be Golden.
Most Important thing is to make sure You dry it out sufficiently before You Jar it. If the Buds are sticking together in the jar take them out and put them on a rack for a day or 2. Hope this Helps!

B

BrandyBud

Chop it and hang to dry 5-7 days until the small branches snap. Maybe an extra day or 2 since You will not be there to burp the jars.
When You get home Immediately burp and air out the jars. If You have dried it out enough before You jarred it You should be Golden.
Most Important thing is to make sure You dry it out sufficiently before You Jar it. If the Buds are sticking together in the jar take them out and put them on a rack for a day or 2. Hope this Helps!

Thank you! That's great advice thanks. I have been advised by a member here that as the plant isn't big it should only take a couple of days but I will monitor it until the twigs snap. So the humidipak will prevent mold as long as the buds aren't too wet to begin with? Am I correct in thinking that I need the boveda 62 8g?

B

BrandyBud

Hey, plant is drying and I'm hoping that it will be ready by the time I leave for my holiday on Sunday.

I have a question: if it isn't quite dry enough what should I do? Put the buds in a mason jar with the humidipak as you recommended, or leave it hanging in the attic in the dark until I get back in two weeks and then rehydrate it by putting it in the jar with the humidipak? As I say, I'm hoping it will be dry enough but could do with knowing in advance an emergency plan. Thanks!

B

BrandyBud

Would putting them in paper bags work, if the buds are quite dry but not yet at the twigs snapping stage? Bearing in mind I'll be away for two weeks.

Dunge

Dunge

I wouldn't use a Bovida in jars for anything but well cured storage purposes.
Had you not already cut them, I would have recommended you water heavily, then leave them to finish on their own for your two week absence. It would be experimental, but probably better than early harvest and un-attended cure.

Beat of luck.

B

BrandyBud

I'm thinking that if it isn't dry enough by tomorrow to put the buds in a paper bag with a humidipak and hang it in the attic while I'm away. My reasoning is that it will dry/cure and not develop mold before I return, but not dry out too much. Hanging the bag would hopefully allow airflow at the bottom rather than it sitting on the floor. I recognise that my whole situation is far from ideal and that I've sacrificed drying time for a couple of days more growth. Any thoughts on whether this sounds like a reasonable plan of action gratefully received.

Last edited:
B

BrandyBud

Hi. Well I decided not to mess around with experimental methods like described above. I figured that the worst thing that can happen is mold so I turned the fan on the plant for a few hours yesterday afternoon just to speed it along a little. I know it's bad practice but needs must. I reverted to normal drying overnight and now some of the smallest twigs are snapping and the plant doesn't smell much of hay but sweet as it should. So I'm going to cut the buds from the plant before leaving today and stick them in the jar with the humidipak. I sampled a bit last night in my vaporizer and it tasted fine and got me baked so I'm happy. I'll post any further updates and when I get back from my holiday in my other thread about odour control. Cheers.

Monster762

Monster762

I'm thinking that if it isn't dry enough by tomorrow to put the buds in a paper bag with a humidipak and hang it in the attic while I'm away. My reasoning is that it will dry/cure and not develop mold before I return, but not dry out too much. Hanging the bag would hopefully allow airflow at the bottom rather than it sitting on the floor. I recognise that my whole situation is far from ideal and that I've sacrificed drying time for a couple of days more growth. Any thoughts on whether this sounds like a reasonable plan of action gratefully received.
If you bag them in free air they will overdry in 2 weeks. Now bagging and putting entire paper bag in the mason jars may help. Half gallon mason jars. I'm not sure but maybe putting holes in top of jar. That allows air but at a really slow rate. Might allow just enough air but not enough to crispy dry it. I know for fact sealed mason will not dry. If it is too wet it will mold in 2 weeks. But if you wrap in paper bag the bag will suck moisture from the inner bud outward then a few holes in top of jar will allow a little air to dry the bag. Paper bag fully exposed to air will crispy dry them in couple days max. The paper bag will work as a buffer and the jar will control the rate of drying by the size of holes you allow air through. Just a theory. I've never put holes in mason jars. But think of it. Kids keep bugs alive that way. Air does get in. But eventually the bugs die. From the limited amount of air. Warmth breeds mold so I would say put in a cool place with good airflow. Dark closet with a fan in it. Or similar.

B

BrandyBud

If you bag them in free air they will overdry in 2 weeks. Now bagging and putting entire paper bag in the mason jars may help. Half gallon mason jars. I'm not sure but maybe putting holes in top of jar. That allows air but at a really slow rate. Might allow just enough air but not enough to crispy dry it. I know for fact sealed mason will not dry. If it is too wet it will mold in 2 weeks. But if you wrap in paper bag the bag will suck moisture from the inner bud outward then a few holes in top of jar will allow a little air to dry the bag. Paper bag fully exposed to air will crispy dry them in couple days max. The paper bag will work as a buffer and the jar will control the rate of drying by the size of holes you allow air through. Just a theory. I've never put holes in mason jars. But think of it. Kids keep bugs alive that way. Air does get in. But eventually the bugs die. From the limited amount of air. Warmth breeds mold so I would say put in a cool place with good airflow. Dark closet with a fan in it. Or similar.

Thanks for your advice. I've just l seen it but have already left for my holiday.

The plant was very nearly dry anyway but I decided not to put all my eggs in one basket and put half in a mason jar with a humidipak as the previous poster suggested, and the other half in a brown paper bag with a humidipak in it, both in the attic. I think the jar buds are dry enough not to mold and the bag buds might be very dry after two weeks but they'll be usable and *may* have not become bone dry because of the humidipak. I'm hopeful all of it will be ok.

I'm back home two weeks today... I shall report back. The suspense will be unbearable! :D

Ps it was smelling delicious, sweet as it should and not hay like at all, and I had some before leaving and am properly baked at the airport :smoking::cool:

Monster762

Monster762

Thanks for your advice. I've just l seen it but have already left for my holiday.

The plant was very nearly dry anyway but I decided not to put all my eggs in one basket and put half in a mason jar with a humidipak as the previous poster suggested, and the other half in a brown paper bag with a humidipak in it, both in the attic. I think the jar buds are dry enough not to mold and the bag buds might be very dry after two weeks but they'll be usable and *may* have not become bone dry because of the humidipak. I'm hopeful all of it will be ok.

I'm back home two weeks today... I shall report back. The suspense will be unbearable! :D

Ps it was smelling delicious, sweet as it should and not hay like at all, and I had some before leaving and am properly baked at the airport :smoking::cool:
Oh I didn't loook at date of post. I never do. I just scroll down the list n click into the ones catch my attention. Sounds good.

B

BrandyBud

Hey! So I got back from my holiday and obviously the first thing I did was zoom up to the attic. I'm delighted to report that all the buds are fine. The only difference really between the buds in the jar and the ones in the bag was that the ones in the jar seemed to have more smell but that's most likely because they were in an airtight container. Both sets seem to be the same dryness. Stems snap but still a bit spongy when squeezed so it looks like I've got away with the rushed ending :D

I haven't had a chance to sample them yet but would like to thank everyone whose replies helped me out, in particular @Polar510 for suggesting the humidipak which undoubtedly saved me. I shall let you know how they are once I get a chance to vape them :)

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hi! As I posted on another thread, I planted an autoflower sour diesel speculatively in my garden this summer and although it's only small has lots of small buds and I'm excited about harvesting and trying my first crop ☺️

It's now 11 weeks from seedling and still not ready. The pistils are starting to turn brown but most are still white, especially the tiny buds lower down.

As a complete noob I didn't realise at the time of planting that it actually takes longer than the stated ten weeks until harvest and the problem is that I go on holiday in 11 days time for two weeks.

I accept I will probably have to chop the plant a week or so early which is fine, but I would like some advice on what to do regarding the drying. If I have just a week between chopping it and going away, should I dry it by hanging as long as possible? How should I then store it? I feel sorry that I have misjudged the times and that I won't be able to dry and cure it properly. I will be using a vapouriser so am not too bothered about harshness etc. My main concern is making sure that the dried buds are going to be ok when I return ie no mold.

I have been reading about paper bag drying and was thinking of hanging the buds until the day I go on holiday and then putting them in paper bags while I'm away, but think that this may create mold if they're not turned every day?

If I dry them instead as much as possible how should I store them to prevent mold forming? In an airtight container or in paper bags where they would get some air? Or leave them hanging the whole time I'm away?

I feel sorry that I've run out of time and hope you guys can give me some advice on what to do so I can sample my first harvest when I get home from my break. Thanks!

No do NOT leave them in paper bags for two weeks might as well throw your buds in trash if your gonna do that.
Is there someone who can look after the plant while your gone ? I say this cuz in my opinion it's better to leave a plant unchopped for a lil longer then chop early depending on how the plant look before you leave maybe you can just leave it on stem and chop when u come home just have someone water it to keep it alive as long as possible

Latest posts

Top Bottom