How Many Gallons Of Water Do You Use When Watering A Plant In 5 Gal Bucket

• Thread starter superweed420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
superweed420

superweed420

So I just transplanted and noticed my dirt in my half gal pots had some dry spots at the bottom when transplanting.. So how many gal of water do y'all usably use when watering your plants in 5 gal bucket...I know they say 30%. Run off but idk wtf 30 % run off is lol so how many gallons y'all use

Strangeone

Strangeone

So I just transplanted and noticed my dirt in my half gal pots had some dry spots at the bottom when transplanting.. So how many gal of water do y'all usably use when watering your plants in 5 gal bucket...I know they say 30%. Run off but idk wtf 30 % run off is lol so how many gallons y'all use
Pics???

Strangeone

Strangeone

How big are your plant's?

superweed420

superweed420

My rule of thumb is one gallon of feed everytime. You will get run off for sure. If it's a flushing, I would do 3-5 gallons
Agree on the first... But flushing is something I don't do I just stop feeding and let plant use up the food before harvest... And if I do flush I use twice the container size of water so in a 5 gal pot I would flush with 10 gal water that's just me

G gnome

G gnome

30% runoff is approximately 1/3 of of what u put in lol. So for example if u put 3 gal of water on ur plants 30% of that wud be just shy of 1 gal. That being sed ive always shot for only 15-20% runoff.

So, to answer ur question, of how much water to use it really depends on ur soil mix...... 100% peat is gonna hold a different amount of water than a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite or rockwool croutons.

One thing u can do to avoid dry spots in ur pots is water half half of the intended amount, wait a cpl minutes and water the rest. Sometimes, if u let em get too dry u will experience whatis refered to a "channeling " thats when ur water forms a pathway to the bottom of the pot and runs out the bottom b4 its allowed to thoroughly soak the medium. This can be avoided by followin tbe half and half procedure i mentioned above.
With my mix, which is over 35% perlite and grow stones i use about 1 1/2gal for a #5 pot. But, more important than what ur putting in is making sure u have enough comin out the bottom.

How big are your plant's?
What difference does that make?

Week 4 some are smaller then others some are behind in growth.. But the biggest is probably 6 or 7 in tall..
5 gal pots are tok big for such small plants imo. Ur better off graduating to larger pots in smaller increments

superweed420

superweed420

30% runoff is approximately 1/3 of of what u put in lol. So for example if u put 3 gal of water on ur plants 30% of that wud be just shy of 1 gal. That being sed ive always shot for only 15-20% runoff.

So, to answer ur question, of how much water to use it really depends on ur soil mix...... 100% peat is gonna hold a different amount of water than a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite or rockwool croutons.

One thing u can do to avoid dry spots in ur pots is water half half of the intended amount, wait a cpl minutes and water the rest. Sometimes, if u let em get too dry u will experience whatis refered to a "channeling " thats when ur water forms a pathway to the bottom of the pot and runs out the bottom b4 its allowed to thoroughly soak the medium. This can be avoided by followin tbe half and half procedure i mentioned above.
With my mix, which is over 35% perlite and grow stones i use about 1 1/2gal for a #5 pot. But, more important than what ur putting in is making sure u have enough comin out the bottom.

What difference does that make?

5 gal pots are tok big for such small plants imo. Ur better off graduating to larger pots in smaller increments
I never let my catch pan over fill when I see run off I stop watering... I do like to pot up to let plants get much bigger in the 5 gal... But never had problems with the auto flowers in the big pots I usaly cut the bottom of the solo cup then stick in the soil... What problems have you had starting in big pots.... I'm new to indoor but my first 4 indoor grows went great

O

onionslinger

My rule of thumb is one gallon of feed everytime. You will get run off for sure.

Really?

Im doing my first grow in 5 gal plastic. The few times before i was running 3 gal pots and by end of grow i was feeding 1 gal and getting run-off. I'm three weeks into flower and have been running 1 gal feeds since i transplanted to fives. While I did poke run-off holes in the fives i have NOT run-off once since i started using these.

If my girls werent thriving then id be more concerned about the lack of run-off. But that also doesnt mean my question about the original question is dead..

Monster762

Monster762

I agree with leew421. If you use a gallon you will be covered. Water evenly and make sure something is in place to catch runoff. I use 3-4 20oz Gatorade bottles and it has little runoff. But I think I'm almost rootbound in the 5 gal buckets too. Slow even watering is where it's at.

G gnome

G gnome

I agree with leew421. If you use a gallon you will be covered. Water evenly and make sure something is in place to catch runoff. I use 3-4 20oz Gatorade bottles and it has little runoff. But I think I'm almost rootbound in the 5 gal buckets too. Slow even watering is where it's at.
Again, it depends on the medium. Some holds more than others. If ur usin hydroton for example ur probably gonna get a shitload of runoff ina #5 pot usin a gallon of water but if ur usin peat ur probably not gonna get much runoff if any assuming the medium is dry enough to be watered.

Point is, dont go by how much u put in. Go by how much ur gettin runoff wise

Monster762

Monster762

Again, it depends on the medium. Some holds more than others. If ur usin hydroton for example ur probably gonna get a shitload of runoff ina #5 pot usin a gallon of water but if ur usin peat ur probably not gonna get much runoff if any assuming the medium is dry enough to be watered.

Point is, dont go by how much u put in. Go by how much ur gettin runoff wise
Yeah true. My soil is cactus n palm soil with added desert sand and peat with extra perelite. It drains fast.

Top Bottom