Will Odor Leak From My Grow Tent?

• Thread starter FOURMOST
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Hello,
As a new grower I have 756899654238000 questions to ask. My first grow will take place in a couple of weeks and I've been slowly buying what I think I need for starting my first 2 auto plant grow. My goal is like everyone else's, Quality and Quantity. My goal is to reach a yield of a pound+ per harvest with stealth being a priority.

Odor is my biggest concern not so much the grow space. I'm thinking of using two carbon filters, one for intake and another for exhaust. Originally, I was thinking of just leaving the bottom vent flaps on my tent (2 x 3 x 5) open to let fresh air in and I believe that's called "passive intake" if not mistaken but since odor is my main concern, Will odor leak from my grow tent if I use passive intake method? Please help me, Thank you.

P.s This will be my very first grow ever so this is just a test grow and if all goes accordingly I will get a bigger tent, lights, etc

Last edited:
MW7945

MW7945

Just stick to one thread and ask multiple questions.

As far as filters one is plenty. You could probably even get by with a cheap inline fan and a 4" filter for your tent size. The way a passive intake works, assuming your fan is generating negative pressure, you don't have to worry about smell leaking out of the open vents in the bottom of the tent.

I can tell you right now you're not going to get a pound this time. Especially with the viparspectra. For now worry about just getting through your first goal and learning from mistakes. I

Have you figured out what you're going to grow in for soil/soiless?

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Just stick to one thread and ask multiple questions.

As far as filters one is plenty. You could probably even get by with a cheap inline fan and a 4" filter for your tent size. The way a passive intake works, assuming your fan is generating negative pressure, you don't have to worry about smell leaking out of the open vents in the bottom of the tent.

I can tell you right now you're not going to get a pound this time. Especially with the viparspectra. For now worry about just getting through your first goal and learning from mistakes. I

Have you figured out what you're going to grow in for soil/soiless?
Yes sorry I figured I'd seperate my questions with threads so that I didn't write 600 paragraphs with a million questions.

Yes this is a test/experiment for me I understand I won't get a pound from two autoflowers but my goal is to use autoflowers to reach my 1pound per harvest mark.

Also I'm using coconut coir.

MW7945

MW7945

Guess I don't have experience with autos, but imo being able to control veg times is more ideal for higher yields. That being said, your lighting is what will control your field. Aside from growing techniques and experience.

This grow, just worry about getting finished product.

what are you running for nutrients? Are you using RO water? what size pots are you going to use?

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Guess I don't have experience with autos, but imo being able to control veg times is more ideal for higher yields. That being said, your lighting is what will control your field. Aside from growing techniques and experience.

This grow, just worry about getting finished product.

what are you running for nutrients? Are you using RO water? what size pots are you going to use?
Right now I'm not planning on getting an RO system, my tap is at 120-130 ppm.

Nutes: the florabloom three bottle general hydroponics nutes.

I'm thinking of using smartpots perhaps 15gal

Screenshot 20171129 010908
MW7945

MW7945

You won't need ro water if your tap is that low.

Did you already order nutrients?

If I If that's a typo or not, but 15 gallon pots are huge.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

You won't need ro water if your tap is that low.

Did you already order nutrients?

If I If that's a typo or not, but 15 gallon pots are huge.
I have not yet, I've only got seeds, tent, lights.

I thought the same about the pot size but according to YouTube, smartpots and regular pots are measured different because the smartpot is fabric so it's not as big as normal plastic or clay pots

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

So the pressure of the passive intake air won't let odor leak thru the vent holes even with a little oscillating fan blowing air around inside of the tent?

MW7945

MW7945

I have not yet, I've only got seeds, tent, lights.

I thought the same about the pot size but according to YouTube, smartpots and regular pots are measured different because the smartpot is fabric so it's not as big as normal plastic or clay pots

I can assure you you don't want a 15 gallon smart pot. Start in solo cups. You don't want or need anything bigger than 3 gallons smart pots. Coco needs to be watered daily. The more times a day you can feed them, the smaller the pot you need. Just make sure it doesn't dry out.

Just my recommendation, but look into the lucas formula. You'll only need flora micro and flora bloom. No flora gro, the green one. From there, epsom salt is all else you need. Would highly recommend Hydroguard as well. Pretty simple.

As far as the smell. Yes. As long as you're effectively creating negative pressure you're fine. That's not a big tent so you won't need too big of an exhaust fan. The only air leaving the tent is air going through the filter.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

I can assure you you don't want a 15 gallon smart pot. Start in solo cups. You don't want or need anything bigger than 3 gallons smart pots. Coco needs to be watered daily. The more times a day you can feed them, the smaller the pot you need. Just make sure it doesn't dry out.

Just my recommendation, but look into the lucas formula. You'll only need flora micro and flora bloom. No flora gro, the green one. From there, epsom salt is all else you need. Would highly recommend Hydroguard as well. Pretty simple.

As far as the smell. Yes. As long as you're effectively creating negative pressure you're fine. That's not a big tent so you won't need too big of an exhaust fan. The only air leaving the tent is air going through the filter.
Autos don't like transplanting so it is advised to plant the seed in the final pot you plan on using up until harvest

MW7945

MW7945

Autos don't like transplanting so it is advised to plant the seed in the final pot you plan on using up until harvest

alright well, regardless, idk who said you want a 15 gallon pot on YouTube but I wouldn't recommend watching any more of their videos. That's way too big.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

alright well, regardless, idk who said you want a 15 gallon pot on YouTube but I wouldn't recommend watching any more of their videos. That's way too big.
O Chet. Ur right, probably a 5 gallon * lmao

K

kansabis

All very good advice given to you,I hope you take it seriously,I say for the autos just do a 1gal smartpot,do you have a ec or ph pen? If not you will most likely need one soon.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

O Chet. Ur right, probably a 5 gallon * lmao
That sounds alot better lol with auto's I don't see the need to go over 5 gallons. maybe 7 if you've got a particularly heavy feeding super-auto in supersoil. but IMHO, a 3 gal should be plenty, you may be able to get away with a 2 gallon but I like to give them that extra room if they need it. That being said, I run a more organic approach so our methods will differ regardless. but I would go bigger than a 1 gal unless you want to transplant later. just so you know though, auto's aren't big fans of being transplanted from what alot of people say. best to go with a 3 or 5 gallon
Let us know what you end up going with! Good luck Fourmost!

B

brimck325

he's going to use coco, no need to go over 2 gallon. 1g would be better if u can do multiple feeds as stated.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Go with a 3 or 5 gallon. Multiple hand waterings a day is going to be a chore and might take away from the fun of your first grow. You should look into a resivoir and drippers in the future, multiple feedings is the way to go, just not as your first time. If you are using fabric pots, get really sturdy saucers if you plan on moving them much.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hello,
As a new grower I have 756899654238000 questions to ask. My first grow will take place in a couple of weeks and I've been slowly buying what I think I need for starting my first 2 auto plant grow. My goal is like everyone else's, Quality and Quantity. My goal is to reach a yield of a pound+ per harvest with stealth being a priority.

Odor is my biggest concern not so much the grow space. I'm thinking of using two carbon filters, one for intake and another for exhaust. Originally, I was thinking of just leaving the bottom vent flaps on my tent (2 x 3 x 5) open to let fresh air in and I believe that's called "passive intake" if not mistaken but since odor is my main concern, Will odor leak from my grow tent if I use passive intake method? Please help me, Thank you.

P.s This will be my very first grow ever so this is just a test grow and if all goes accordingly I will get a bigger tent, lights, etc
You get one free question per day

MW7945

MW7945

Go with a 3 or 5 gallon. Multiple hand waterings a day is going to be a chore and might take away from the fun of your first grow. You should look into a resivoir and drippers in the future, multiple feedings is the way to go, just not as your first time. If you are using fabric pots, get really sturdy saucers if you plan on moving them much.

Can confirm hand feeding twice a day is soul crushing after a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom