Exhausting Question

• Thread starter Henrytd5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Henrytd5

Good morning farmers. Ive not been growing for a few months. Been living with the outlaws until i found a new house. Got moved in and now its time to build my new grow room..
Ive got a sectional prefab concrete garage to erect and at the back, a partition wall to put up and install the secret door... more on this will be documented over the christmas period.

My main question is, after my filter and exhaust fan, whats the maximum length the ducting should be before the air reaches open air? I have a strange feeling about my neighbors and want to realease the air from the grow room further down my garden where its more open.

I have some 4'' underground ducting that i can connect my flexie ducting from the exhaust fan to and run the heavy duty stuff in a shallow trench down my garden for a about 6-8 meters and terminate it there and the stale air will be out in the open..

Will such a long run of ducting affect the efficiency of the exhaust fan?

H

Henrytd5

I was running a carbon scrubber at my old property and I pretty sure there was still a faint smell in the air especially during the summer months.. I was using a rhino pro 5" with 5" exhaust fan.. maybe i should try a bigger scrubber.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I was running a carbon scrubber at my old property and I pretty sure there was still a faint smell in the air especially during the summer months.. I was using a rhino pro 5" with 5" exhaust fan.. maybe i should try a bigger scrubber.
My recent experience with outdoor exhaust odor was a similar situation. I installed 4" fan and (used) filter system that was working, but a faint smell. The odor drifted around the backyard and was noticable from 20 foot away. I freaked. Installed a new filter, and viola! Scrubbers work. Just maintain them and be ready to replace when needed. I bought a mid grade filter rated for 200cfm. Fan draws slightly below that at 165cfm. It exhausts out the basement window which is sub grade within a window well. Hidden from view. Ironically, the window is right next to the radon mitigation exhaust fan mounted on the side of the house. Masks most of the noise of the rooms exhaust. That's how I'm set up. Working great.
How close are neighbors? If you absolutely have to extend the exhaust, I would say length of exhaust will play into the efficiency. More duct equals more contained volume of air to push in addition to the fan drawing through the intake section and filter. If you size the combination of duct and fan right, I suppose you'd be good. And always remember that a good fan is like a good woman. They suck just as much as they blow.

H

Henrytd5

Haha... I love the theory of fans and women! Pretty accurate also..

So really, I need to be measuring my.new grow room. Moving out of the tent and into a bigger space for 8 plants.. and suit my scrubber and fan to that..

And my old 5" probably won' be suffice anyway as that was from 4 plant grow tent..

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Well, length times width times depth. Cubic foot will be a great start. I've heard and read a few theories and formulas regarding the topic of ventilation, fans, filters. I can safely say I'm still confused to an extent. Lots of info out there. After figuring my numbers, my current set up is considered under equipped by some. I can safely say it is working great. I just replaced filter and no unwanted odors. Sides of tents draw in nicely, even though cubic foot is greater than what the fan is "rated" for. And yeah, I said tents. Plural. I have two tents. Tents are approximately 26 cf more than the fan rating. Pulling through a 4"x12" filter, it's doing just fine. Larger flower tent pulls air from smaller veg tent in addition to vents on tent that are about 50% open. When I have anything going in the veg tent I also run a small 4" booster inline fan to help exchange air faster around those plants. This is automatically a boost in overall air exchange of the combined tent system. At that point the fans together are within the formulas and equations out there. Plus, my 1000hps is not exhausted independe
So, I guess what my stoner ass is trying to say is, there's always a lot of variables for each set up. Final cubic foot of space should be in consideration in relation to the equipment you either have or are ready to invest in. Whatchu got for equipment so far? Cfm rating of fan will dictate your design. As I stated above about an additional booster fan, is a consideration. Don't have to replace what you already have. Or you gonna construct space desired and purchase equipment after.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

What lights you have/use? Another consideration on room/plant size. And those factors greatly effect the need for cubic space. Sorry to be so drawn out on description. I tend to be a rambler. Plus this is subject matter I enjoy.

H

Henrytd5

Im not sure of the room size yet as it' not been built.. it will be in a few more weeks
.. I have a 5" fan and carbon filter, X2 4" in line fans I have used 1 for intake and 1 as a spare/back up.. 600w omega with wing reflector, 600w lummi with cool tube..

brazel

brazel

Blowing is easier than sucking. I've used a 6" green hydrofarm inline blowing through 25' of ducting with no problems

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

here is a thought,i ran it just fine,since your building the room anyway,put vents into the ceiling of room and put your fan filter combo in the attic,i even spliced into my ac vent line put a scrubber in it to push ac into the closet,and how i did it was very easy,,the trap door going into attic,i took out and took that syrofoam board home depot sells as insulation siding,i took a compass and made 4 holes in it 6in,a had 2 400 watt hid lights in there,12 hoses were for exhaust threw the lights into filters,1 hole was for fresh air venting from a close sofit under eve of house and the other way the slice for ac,worked out great,and running it into your attic,the smell has to compete with insulation and all foriegn shit you can imagine,with air comint in sofits from all around the house threw the attic,the smell never makes it out the house in a confined type area,it every were there is a sofit,by the time it does make it out of attic and outside nothing but heat left,also putting the fan filter combos in the attic help with keeping house quite

H

Henrytd5

There wont be much of a attic, eve or sofit where my grow room is.. its going in the back of a concrete garage. Thanks to all for your input, there are some factors that need to be addressed, I will be sizing up the grow room later tonight.. I just need to exhaust the stale air in the best safestway i can, I have a strange feeling about my neighbor. i think he wouldnt hesitate to call the police if he had a single incline i was up to something..
I have to grow again, i love doing it! So to condense this thread.. Lets go back to the basics... size of room + which fan and scrubber I think I should use..

H

Henrytd5

so.. grow room is going to be 8ft x 6ft x 7ft = 336cf.. Local hydro supplier has systemair fans, i will look into which size suits that size room

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

so.. grow room is going to be 8ft x 6ft x 7ft = 336cf.. Local hydro supplier has systemair fans, i will look into which size suits that size room
Definitely scrubber. Imo, best to buy second filter. Added expense, but in the event of failure or need to change, good to have on hand. Learned that once myself. Needed to change out old and had to wait for new.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

You'll always have a smell with a scrubber. Wait till chop day, it's always the worst and the best at the sametime

Latest posts

Top Bottom