Who's Growing Tlo Style (the Rev)?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Conclusions on Grow:
Overall, I'm very happy with how things turned out, and how easy everything was. It took a lot of up-front studying to get The Rev's system down, but once I was rolling everything was very easy. The buds look more frosty than other grows I've done, and the smells coming from my tent were stronger than I've had before. The plants were relatively healthy. Is this method superior? I don't know - I'm going to need to do a lot more experimenting and comparison. But overall, I'm very happy with the system.

At this point, I have finished final trim, and have smoked scissor hash of both strains (see results below). I'll post smoke results in a couple months after a proper cure.

Coma Cluster
The Coma Cluster (indica) scissor hash was not super impressive. DEFINITELY a strong indica (sedative), but wasn't super potent, and didn't have anything special about it. But it worked.

Darling Sativa
The D.S. scissor hash on the other hand was SUPERB. I really really really liked the high. Potent, VERY psychedelic, clear headed, and low anxiety considering how smacked I was last night. I had one of those experiences where you lay in bed, slightly hallucinating while falling asleep. It was amazing. Everything I want out of a Sativa. Hoping it cures up well and gets even better.

Things I'd change next time:
I think should have done more feedings in flower. In hindsight, I would have liked to have done an additional high Nitrogen feed around week 3 or 4, and an additional high phosphorus (finishing) feeding around week 7 or 8. I should have paid more attention that these plants could take up to 11 weeks, and accounted for that. Especially in 3 gallon pots. They DEFINITELY started to run out of steam near the end. Leaves started yellowing too early, (weeks 6 and 7), and they just seemed hungry near the end. The ripening REALLY slowed down. So next time, I'll add additional teas and/or top dressings. Again, this is taking in to account the pot size I used, and how long it took to flower these.

IMG 3950
IMG 3953
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Looks good @Perception !!

Mine took forever to finish up too. At 11.5 weeks I was out of time and took them down. They also seemed like they were hungry. Next time I’m going up to 5 gallon pots.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Conclusions on Grow:
Overall, I'm very happy with how things turned out, and how easy everything was. It took a lot of up-front studying to get The Rev's system down, but once I was rolling everything was very easy. The buds look more frosty than other grows I've done, and the smells coming from my tent were stronger than I've had before. The plants were relatively healthy. Is this method superior? I don't know - I'm going to need to do a lot more experimenting and comparison. But overall, I'm very happy with the system.

At this point, I have finished final trim, and have smoked scissor hash of both strains (see results below). I'll post smoke results in a couple months after a proper cure.

Coma Cluster
The Coma Cluster (indica) scissor hash was not super impressive. DEFINITELY a strong indica (sedative), but wasn't super potent, and didn't have anything special about it. But it worked.

Darling Sativa
The D.S. scissor hash on the other hand was SUPERB. I really really really liked the high. Potent, VERY psychedelic, clear headed, and low anxiety considering how smacked I was last night. I had one of those experiences where you lay in bed, slightly hallucinating while falling asleep. It was amazing. Everything I want out of a Sativa. Hoping it cures up well and gets even better.

Things I'd change next time:
I think should have done more feedings in flower. In hindsight, I would have liked to have done an additional high Nitrogen feed around week 3 or 4, and an additional high phosphorus (finishing) feeding around week 7 or 8. I should have paid more attention that these plants could take up to 11 weeks, and accounted for that. Especially in 3 gallon pots. They DEFINITELY started to run out of steam near the end. Leaves started yellowing too early, (weeks 6 and 7), and they just seemed hungry near the end. The ripening REALLY slowed down. So next time, I'll add additional teas and/or top dressings. Again, this is taking in to account the pot size I used, and how long it took to flower these.

Nice! Thanks for the reports. The Darkling Sativa sounds like my cup of tea.

Perception

Perception

Mine took forever to finish up too. At 11.5 weeks I was out of time and took them down. They also seemed like they were hungry. Next time I’m going up to 5 gallon pots.

I was thinking the exact same thing: 5gal might be nice. The Rev is really adamant about keeping small pots, but if I can cut down on the number of times that I add amendments, that's good in my book. Also, less stress on the plant.

Morpheus007

Morpheus007

Awesome thread! The Rev was the first dude to change my mind the first time I read skunk magazine. Im embaressed to say but one year before that back in 08 I had heavy harvest after watching brown dirts documentary. First grow, what can ya do.. The 2.2 soil mix is working wonders! In 7 gallons the KOS Black Poisons deff could have benefitted w.o spikes. This time around no spikes shes purring like a kitty

Screenshot 20180706 231002
20180331 090110
20180331 090259
20180412 225926
Perception

Perception

Awesome thread! The Rev was the first dude to change my mind the first time I read skunk magazine. Im embaressed to say but one year before that back in 08 I had heavy harvest after watching brown dirts documentary. First grow, what can ya do.. The 2.2 soil mix is working wonders! In 7 gallons the KOS Black Poisons deff could have benefitted w.o spikes. This time around no spikes shes purring like a kitty

Awesome! Really interesting to see you running 7 gallons with no spikes. Did you end up using any teas or topdressings? (I’m guessing you are all done from those nice flowers) Thanks for the info

Morpheus007

Morpheus007

Yeah I finished that round, the wild thing about it was that when i made the spikes.. Reflecting now, in some of my pots there was voids(air pockets). I made the mistake of transplanting from square 5 gal to circular 7 gal. Deff over packed the spikes by not transplanting proper and filling the soil in w empty air pockets. I did use a mix of EWC yucca(hygea hydration) mollases, coconut sugar, and agave nectar. 1 tablesooon of each sugar bubbled in a 5 gal cut w an additional 5 gal of RO making 10 gal. Every 2 weeks till that last week. Deff still have room for improvement to make. But so far imo its the easiest style to automate. Been working on a drip system to run w the yucca extract. https://www.maximumyield.com/yucca-extracts-a-gardening-secret-from-the-desert/2/1236 All my other strains loved the mix w spikes and top dress. Now w the Black Poison in a 10 gal smartpot just his soil mix no cut, no top dress, no tea. Doing very well, should have a pic for ya'll next week finishing up. But thus far, I clean the bottom 1' of the plants and remove all emerging pea size shoots leaving the top 12"-16" full of a denser fuller structure that becomes a 1 2 3 trim

20180407 130625
20180202 131606
20180227 080312
20180330 090221
20180330 090147
20180412 002506
Perception

Perception

Ohhhh... i see what you are saying on spikes. You filled giant voids in the soil!

So far I’m loving the spikes, and used some on my outdoor plants for the second year in a row. I just love the time release effect. Although I’ve never gone larger than 5gal pots indoors. I bet 10gal is REALLY nice for sustained microbial populations.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Yeah I finished that round, the wild thing about it was that when i made the spikes.. Reflecting now, in some of my pots there was voids(air pockets). I made the mistake of transplanting from square 5 gal to circular 7 gal. Deff over packed the spikes by not transplanting proper and filling the soil in w empty air pockets. I did use a mix of EWC yucca(hygea hydration) mollases, coconut sugar, and agave nectar. 1 tablesooon of each sugar bubbled in a 5 gal cut w an additional 5 gal of RO making 10 gal. Every 2 weeks till that last week. Deff still have room for improvement to make. But so far imo its the easiest style to automate. Been working on a drip system to run w the yucca extract. https://www.maximumyield.com/yucca-extracts-a-gardening-secret-from-the-desert/2/1236 All my other strains loved the mix w spikes and top dress. Now w the Black Poison in a 10 gal smartpot just his soil mix no cut, no top dress, no tea. Doing very well, should have a pic for ya'll next week finishing up. But thus far, I clean the bottom 1' of the plants and remove all emerging pea size shoots leaving the top 12"-16" full of a denser fuller structure that becomes a 1 2 3 trim

Shit is looking FROSTY! What’re you growing in that room?

I will say this: although I have mad respect for the Rev (it’s because of him that I even went totally organic; although I don’t subscribe to his methods, he’s the reason why I grow the way I do, even though I don’t use his soil mix and don’t subscribe to the whole “layers and spikes” thing that he recommends) and I think he’s super-genuine in his appreciation for growing totally organic, clean, bomb-ass herb, I think the whole “spikes” thing is unnecessary and kinda bullshit. But it looks like it’s working out really well for you! That’s some good-looking herb right there!

Is that one strain or a few different ones? Shit looks bawmb!

Minitiger

Minitiger

Also, what’s “Brown dirt’s” documentary? Link? Sounds interesting, but I haven’t heard of that at all. If you’re getting results like I’m seeing in those pics, though, I might have to check it out haha!

dmandam

dmandam

Hey guys! Just made an account because this thread was so interesting to read. Been doing living soil for over a year now and have to say its definitely the way to go. Putting in a lot less effort then you guys but getting amazing results. Letting the worms and mulch do the majority of the work, also setup a Blumat Automatic Drip System and that seems to be keeping the soil trully alive.
Haven't heard of this Brown Dirt documentary either but found a pretty cool youtube channel called BrownDirtWarrior that seems to be relevant.
Either way, can't wait to learn more from all of you, love all the reports and analysis going around.

Results
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Hey @dmandam. Welcome, and nice picture. What strain is that?

I have been thinking about a watering system for my next indoor grow. I just looked at that Blumat system (on amazon), very interesting. Do you feel it does an adequate job? Do you have any complaints about it?

The thing I like the best about growing in organic soil, besides the results, is the lack of work. Except for putting together the soil recipe and the final transplant (with spikes and layers), it really doesn't get much easier. Heck, I don't even bother to check PH anymore. With a watering system, it must be almost totally hands-off. I have a few outdoor plants at the moment and we have been getting some sporadic rain so, I check them daily but that's about it. They are happy and I'm loving it.

Perception

Perception

Hey guys! Just made an account because this thread was so interesting to read. Been doing living soil for over a year now and have to say its definitely the way to go. Putting in a lot less effort then you guys but getting amazing results. Letting the worms and mulch do the majority of the work, also setup a Blumat Automatic Drip System and that seems to be keeping the soil trully alive.
Haven't heard of this Brown Dirt documentary either but found a pretty cool youtube channel called BrownDirtWarrior that seems to be relevant.
Either way, can't wait to learn more from all of you, love all the reports and analysis going around.

That's great! Happy you joined. I'd really like to go the direction you are going - letting nature do the heavy lifting, and let the Blumats handle the watering. I figure that a more consistent moisture level will help the microbes stay healthy (And I get tired of hand watering).

So are you using any of the TLO techniques, or just doing a living soil on your own?

Thanks!

Morpheus007

Morpheus007

circa 07 08. He's a synthetic guy or was at that time. But his documentation is worthy of admiration i believe. Let me know what you guys think. Should have some purple kush, afgan kush shots later.. used 2 neem seed meal spikes in place of the revs veg spike formula. Really dodges fungus gnats, atleast my observations show me

dmandam

dmandam

Hey @dmandam. Welcome, and nice picture. What strain is that?

I have been thinking about a watering system for my next indoor grow. I just looked at that Blumat system (on amazon), very interesting. Do you feel it does an adequate job? Do you have any complaints about it?

The thing I like the best about growing in organic soil, besides the results, is the lack of work. I check them daily but that's about it. They are happy and I'm loving it.

Honestly not really 100% sure on the strain at this point, that was from a few years back and we grow so often. Could be some Sour Kush or the likes.
But I 100% agree with the Organic Soil, the best thing is once its set, nature takes over and keeps the plants thriving! No longer needing to mess with nutrients and find pH balance. Once you get the soil right and have the microbiology doing its job, you just keep growing and growing with very little effort.
In terms of the Blumat System, its trully a remarkable system. The only complaints I have was when I set it up wrong and the Blumat ran-away (meaning the water kept getting released despite the soil being wet), but this was because I set it up wrong initially. But since then (that was a couple of months ago) I haven't had a single issue, and plants are all thriving! Loved it so much I have it on both marijuana and regular plants alike, have noticed that each are growing larger then they have before because of the constant feed.

IMG 9977
dmandam

dmandam

That's great! Happy you joined. I'd really like to go the direction you are going - letting nature do the heavy lifting, and let the Blumats handle the watering. I figure that a more consistent moisture level will help the microbes stay healthy (And I get tired of hand watering).

So are you using any of the TLO techniques, or just doing a living soil on your own?

Thanks!
Hi friend! Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with your thoughts regarding letting nature do it's job. Blumats work in a similar way to nature as well, thats what got me hooked! The way that the carrot (thats the sensor) pulls water into it, and then releases water based off the soil conditions, is similar to how a tree pulls water from the roots. And then it replicated rainy tropical conditions because it is always watering the plants, so similar to after a big rainfall, the plants thrive the next day (except they are always thriving as a result).
In terms of TLO, I am just doing a regular living soil grow with very little care. Used some composting to get it started with worms and nutrients, and now feed it the occasional microbe mix and use mulch from the weed leaves themselves to keep it all fed. Have gotten some beautiful results but still have more to learn in terms of getting heavier nugs.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Dude, that’s the whole point of growing completely organic that people just don’t seem to get: IT’S FUCKING EASY. No ph’ing water, no mixing up hydro solutions or whatever, just water your plants and you’re done. Every once in a while I’ll brew up an AACT or an SST or a little kelp/alfalfa tea, but even that doesn’t require any work. Just throw that shit in a five gallon bucket, let it bubble and then water your plants with it. Easy as pie.

Anyway, welcome to the farm, dude!

Perception

Perception

Hi friend! Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with your thoughts regarding letting nature do it's job. Blumats work in a similar way to nature as well, thats what got me hooked! The way that the carrot (thats the sensor) pulls water into it, and then releases water based off the soil conditions, is similar to how a tree pulls water from the roots. And then it replicated rainy tropical conditions because it is always watering the plants, so similar to after a big rainfall, the plants thrive the next day (except they are always thriving as a result).
In terms of TLO, I am just doing a regular living soil grow with very little care. Used some composting to get it started with worms and nutrients, and now feed it the occasional microbe mix and use mulch from the weed leaves themselves to keep it all fed. Have gotten some beautiful results but still have more to learn in terms of getting heavier nugs.

@dmandam howdy - I’m setting up a grow for this winter and plan to start running blumats, for all the reasons you’ve listed.

Quick question on the extra long (Maxxi) carrots that you called the sensor: Do these deep carrots actually water down low through the ceramic spike, or are they purely just pulling creating the siphon which waters up top only?

I’d guess they are also watering down low, but wasn’t sure. Thanks!

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

What does anyone do for calmag

There is enough Cal and Mag in the soil mix (supplied by the oyster shell, dolomite lime, bone meal, ect.) that it generically isn't necessary. That said, I have been cutting my RO water with a little tap water (well water) to bring the PPM up around 35 and add a few minerals in low dose.

Top Bottom