Lets Talk Condensate

• Thread starter G gnome
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

U dont haveta have a question to start a thread. I was curious what ither ppl are thinking and doing. I think the first post ses it all[/QU[/QUOTE
]
The water is deionized/distilled when passed over the coils, right?

Is deionized water safe?
In it's purest form having a neutral pH, the water has the most solubility. I don't believe deionized water is safe to drink because of its "leaching" ability's. Deionized water will strip CO2 from the air. When you drink it, this waterwill strip vitamins and minerals from inside you.

Jw if that can lead thia conversation in another direction, I was told not to uae it for the fact of it being deionized. Something about thw chelated nutrienta nit having the ions to attach to? I may be way off

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Is deionized water safe?
In it's purest form having a neutral pH, the water has the most solubility. I don't believe deionized water is safe to drink because of its "leaching" ability's. Deionized water will strip CO2 from the air. When you drink it, this waterwill strip vitamins and minerals from inside you.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Is deionized water safe?

That's why you don't drink that water. You will dehydrate instead of hydrate on it. With mineral rich water you introuduce salts to your body that help binding water to your blood. With deionised water you actually leach those minerals from your body through your liver making your blood thicker - getting dehydrated.same thing happens in soil. But in hydro, you actually want your water to be pure so you can add exactly what you want/your plant needs.and you know how much that water can take up before it gets over saturated.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is deionized water safe?
It will only strip enough Co2 and other gasses from the air in order to reach equilibrium just the same for any water. Pure water still contains dissolved gasses.

P

PharmHand

I use my condensate too, been using it for years.... It’s a lot of water and our well isn’t the greatest so it gets used. I bought a filter and uv light to treat it but haven’t gotten around to hooking it up. Mine gravity feeds back to my res room thru pvc pipe and it’s ALWAYS flowing so there’s nothing stagnant about it. If I stick my finger in the end of the pipe it is a little slimy, not green just slimy, pretty sure it’s jist algae tho. Between runs I change the air filters and clean my handler and dh coils with a non toxic coil cleaner then I pour h202 then vinegar thru the piping and let it rinse out for a few days or so. The water tests about 3-6ppm on a good Hanna meter. That link to the quest article was great thanks to whoever posted that, definitely helped me justify what I’m doing haha

P

PharmHand

And just for reference I have a friend that has never cleaned his ac doesn’t even use a filter on it never cleans his dehums and sure as hell never cleans his piping. He reuses all his condensate and hits over 2 per k.

I used to have a 4 lighter that was sealed really well. I collected and reused the condensate in there as well. It was so efficient that I barely added any outside water probably less than 5% but I am in the pnw where humidity is generally high

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I got so much transpiration going on in my basement I could have a small lake in the back yard if I wanted too.
I am right there with ya. I stopped using it because the smart guy at the hydro store talked about it being deionized and thats not good for the plant. No one seems to agree with him. Gees I guess u couldve saved myself some dough on the RO system. My ppm out of the humidifier is less than 25 ppm.
So the general consensus is watch out for the slime but other than keeping the water moving it seems like a never ending well in my basement.
My dehumidifier will freeze over from time to time. Any ideas what is causing it? Its running 24 7 and so is a 4 inch intake and exhaust because the dehumidifer puts off heat.
Thanks
Its your bud,
-Ty

P

PharmHand

I am right there with ya. I stopped using it because the smart guy at the hydro store talked about it being deionized and thats not good for the plant. No one seems to agree with him. Gees I guess u couldve saved myself some dough on the RO system. My ppm out of the humidifier is less than 25 ppm.
So the general consensus is watch out for the slime but other than keeping the water moving it seems like a never ending well in my basement.
My dehumidifier will freeze over from time to time. Any ideas what is causing it? Its running 24 7 and so is a 4 inch intake and exhaust because the dehumidifer puts off heat.
Thanks
Its your bud,
-Ty
Hmm maybe not such a smart guy after all. You don’t have to know anything to work at/own a dro store. Deionized means it’s had most of its minerals removed like distilled or gone thru an ro membrane. You add nutes you’re adding ions. And your dehum will freeze if it’s low on charge or if it just a low end dehum w no defrost cycle. Just make sure it shuts off at least a few hours a day to thaw out cuz when it’s frozen it ain’t removing any humidity

G gnome

G gnome

Thanks
Its your bud,
-Ty

Never ever listen to the hydro store guys. Never!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom