55 Gallon Drum Question

• Thread starter Papercrane5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Papercrane5

Hi all, I’m new here and looking for some advice about using a 55 gallon drum as a res. I was previously using the ebb and flow system but because of space wanted to switch to a 55 gallon drum for watering. I originally set the drum up with the pump at the bottom and pvc piping to push the water through (the top of the drum) to the tubes feeding the plants. There appears to be gravity issues or maybe I’m not using the right pump (or the whole set up is wrong). The problem I’m running into is when the pumps are stopped (when feeding is supposed to stop) the water continues to flow. I’m assuming this is because of gravity? I’m not sure how to set this up correctly? Any feed back is much appreciated!

P

Papercrane5

Thank you! Do you happen to have any recommendations on devices to shut off the flow that aren’t manual? I typically have the watering system on a timer to auto feed.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I don’t have any idea on an automatic shut off valve personally. I’m sure you can find one though. They are pretty common.

It would prolly be easier to reverse the flow so it pumps out the bottom of the barrel.

Or you can do like they do with plumbing and run the line above them both so when the pump shuts off the water flows with gravity.

I have more experience with plumbing than this so someone else with practical experience would probably be better suited to answer your questions. I was just speaking from a physics point of view.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
In fact now that I think about it just running the line higher imo would be the simplest solution. Sorry for all the noise, I was basically thinking out loud. Lol.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi all, I’m new here and looking for some advice about using a 55 gallon drum as a res. I was previously using the ebb and flow system but because of space wanted to switch to a 55 gallon drum for watering. I originally set the drum up with the pump at the bottom and pvc piping to push the water through (the top of the drum) to the tubes feeding the plants. There appears to be gravity issues or maybe I’m not using the right pump (or the whole set up is wrong). The problem I’m running into is when the pumps are stopped (when feeding is supposed to stop) the water continues to flow. I’m assuming this is because of gravity? I’m not sure how to set this up correctly? Any feed back is much appreciated!
you will have to have barrel higher than the table,whats happening is the siphon,all water will continue to run until it comes level with the water line in the barrel,this is the same for water levels and same concept,with the barrel higher your shut off and timer will work,and a 1 way filter will stop anything going back into the barrel ,from the main line,it wont effect your return side it will go back in

P

Papercrane5

you will have to have barrel higher than the table,whats happening is the siphon,all water will continue to run until it comes level with the water line in the barrel,this is the same for water levels and same concept,with the barrel higher your shut off and timer will work,and a 1 way filter will stop anything going back into the barrel ,from the main line,it wont effect your return side it will go back in
This is excellent! Thank you!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

This is excellent! Thank you!
you could even let it gravity feed by raising the barrel,and if it feeds enough to suit you do away with the sump pump,timer will turn the feed on and shutoff,gravity feed takes longer because only pressure you have is just gravity,like someone said above i would just raise the table or lines,55 gal barrel aint no punk to work with hahahah,i have one i collect rain water,i just siphon it out,when the barrel gets to the level of a 5 gal bucket sitting beside it,no more siphoning,all back then to get it out,lmao,one more thing keep in mind the water has to return so adjust for that also

B

Burned Haze

My main tip if you have not put this into your plan or if you haevn’t Bought your Rez ... make sure to buy Up block color like black, food grade

Not all plastics are created equal, I would even insulate the outside or put some film on it if your going to have it the grow room.

didn’t see anyone giving tips of that, so might as well save you a headache if you bought non-food grade or what not.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You can get an anti siphon valves at home depot ect for sprinkler systems or any irrigation supply house. Amazon also. They are a couple of bucks.

B

Burned Haze

Oh yeah, don’t use any copper in any of your water parts, tubings & tubing

Reason = It will kill any bacteria and if you put a part on your Rez and your re-flowiing back with copper in it, your just spotting yourself in the foot if your a person who uses benefitals and so forth. Just make sure anything you are using is safe for growing/and bennies

I’ve seen a few grows where they had amazing setups but they had copper before their pvc and so forth and i’m Pretty sure that’s a big no-no.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Do a manifold, so since the pump is “pulling the water”. Once pump is off the siphoning continues. To avoid this simply plumb the intake pipe higher then the res. The drum stays where it is as it’s probably impractical to mount the drum 5’ in the air.
Bring the intake. Or return line low then 90 it up, and back down, up past the drum height, creates like a ptrap effect stopping water from flowing uphill per-say. And install check valves in direction of flow to prevent back siphoning as well. I do this to our ro tanks. I’ll post pictures tomorrow of the setup to illustrate what I mean.
It’s basic and bout $5-10 in material and no more then 1/2hr of your time to achieve

Latest posts

Top Bottom