Powder?

• Thread starter Temporal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Temporal

Temporal

Hey there, hope everyone is having a good one. Here's the thing, I ran a qwet on about 1.3 ounces of trim with about .3 ounces of popcorn buds thrown in. I used everclear, about 7 minutes wash at about 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Strained through a 150 micron screen sitting in a regular metal strainer. I let it evap in front of a fan. The thing is it came out like this, powdery. Put some on some foil, and put heat to it and it melted down. It has very little smell, but I took a chance and tried some, it's fairly strong. I wasn't expecting much from trim, but yeah it gets the job done. Doesn't really taste bad or good, so I don't know, what's up with this? Some stuff I got at the med store smelled so much better. I couldn't find much info for my problem so far googling. I assume it's cause I used trim and probably just screwed up something, but I don't think I've seen something that looks like this. Maybe, it just needs to be rewashed and strained better?
Powder
Powder 2

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hey there, hope everyone is having a good one. Here's the thing, I ran a qwet on about 1.3 ounces of trim with about .3 ounces of popcorn buds thrown in. I used everclear, about 7 minutes wash at about 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Strained through a 150 micron screen sitting in a regular metal strainer. I let it evap in front of a fan. The thing is it came out like this, powdery. Put some on some foil, and put heat to it and it melted down. It has very little smell, but I took a chance and tried some, it's fairly strong. I wasn't expecting much from trim, but yeah it gets the job done. Doesn't really taste bad or good, so I don't know, what's up with this? Some stuff I got at the med store smelled so much better. I couldn't find much info for my problem so far googling. I assume it's cause I used trim and probably just screwed up something, but I don't think I've seen something that looks like this. Maybe, it just needs to be rewashed and strained better? View attachment 846368 View attachment 846369

When doing qwiso qwet its better to use something like 20-25 micron mesh as all the good stuff is already dissolved in the solvent so you dont need any solid materials like actual trichomes you get while making hash.

And 7 minutes is a little much. With qwiso 5-10 second wash is what people do and with ethanol i would do no more than 30. This is to get shatter and the highest quality extract. These are not knowledge based on trial and error but rather vigorous research :)

Temporal

Temporal

When doing qwiso qwet its better to use something like 20-25 micron mesh as all the good stuff is already dissolved in the solvent so you dont need any solid materials like actual trichomes you get while making hash.

And 7 minutes is a little much. With qwiso 5-10 second wash is what people do and with ethanol i would do no more than 30. This is to get shatter and the highest quality extract. These are not knowledge based on trial and error but rather vigorous research :)
Ah yeah, see I guess I was thinking 150 was one of the smallest. I'll get some 25s before I try again. Lol, I meant for it to be only 5 minutes but got distracted on the phone and left it in there about 2 extra. This was my first try at making doing qwet. Thanks!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Some ok crumble but ethanol will destroy the terpenes (flavonoids) if soaked too long. Hence the lack of smell/taste.
Smaller the numbers the higher the filteration capability. Larger micron meant you may have more plant matter in the qwet!

Temporal

Temporal

Sorry for the late reply y'all, with the holidays I've been busy with work, family and all that good stuff. Yeah, definitely going to try a shorter wash with 25s. I've reading some stuff based on what yaly' said. Though, I'm doing a bit of a tolerance break on the highly potent extracts. I got to adding either kief or extract to every dose. It's good medicine, but after a few days your tolerance goes to infinity, lol. After only a few days, I was like dang, this seems to be unsustainable... So far, I've found keif to be my favorite. It's not too strong and has that taste I haven't found in an extract, but I haven't tried live resin. Anyway, I'm ranting, I'm looking into the culinary aspects of cannabis. Mmm, smoked chicken, some cannabis BBQ sauce, baked potato, corn with cannabutter? I'm a southern boy, and I can't wait for spring to bust out the smoker and grill. After the holidays, and everything settles down. I'm going to try my hand at making microdose extract capsules and/or cooking with it. My ultimate goal is to get away from smoking flower all together. Y'all have a good one!

Last edited:
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Have you tried rosin? It’s quick but yeilds. Are lower but for experimenting it’s the fastest way. You can get a decent one made cheaply or buy a unit for around a grand or so

Temporal

Temporal

Have you tried rosin? It’s quick but yeilds. Are lower but for experimenting it’s the fastest way. You can get a decent one made cheaply or buy a unit for around a grand or so
I haven't but have heard some good things with rosin, and solvent less extracts in general. I could take the leftover chips and use it for cannabutter for cooking. Lol, I would have to start out with a decent hair straightener, though. I'm not willing to invest in presses just yet, I would rather buy growing equipment first. The thing is that I hate the stickiness of what I've tried so far. I like just old ordinary kief cause it's easy to work with, mind you, I am fairly lacking in first hand experience with extracts, but it's all good, I'm learning. I do know that I hate scraping stuff out of a Pyrex dish or whatever, lol.

Top Bottom