Afternoon Delight /300w Led/scrog

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Yeah of course I thought about what I would lose by needing to raise the lights. They're 8 inches away and I figure that is not so far of a distance. I was told by many experienced grower's in previous scrogs that I should raise these cfls to 18 inches or more to acquire stretch during vegging. But they are cfls and need to be kept close which is why I always took that advice very lightly.
Wow. I keep my floros at 1-2’ inches. 24x4 t5ho. Plants are still stretching. The stretch you will get from light deprivation is not an ideal stretch. It will be spindly.
Using different kelvins is a better option imo. Also tight nodes usually make fat nugs :)
Anyway you’re doing very well as it seems. Just saying (i think) lighting 100 cfls at 8 inches and lightin 25 at 4 theoretically gives out the same lux value on the canopy.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Wow. I keep my floros at 1-2’ inches. 24x4 t5ho. Plants are still stretching. The stretch you will get from light deprivation is not an ideal stretch. It will be spindly.
Using different kelvins is a better option imo. Also tight nodes usually make fat nugs :)
Anyway you’re doing very well as it seems. Just saying (i think) lighting 100 cfls at 8 inches and lightin 25 at 4 theoretically gives out the same lux value on the canopy.
At the time I was told to distant the cfls from the plants, I wasn't using a net yet. I was simply growing the main branches in veg to be later bended down under the net to almost immediately be flowered. The nodes seemed too stacked so that's why it was suggested to me as I recall.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
At the time I was told to distant the cfls from the plants, I wasn't using a net yet. I was simply growing the main branches in veg to be later bended down under the net to almost immediately be flowered. The nodes seemed too stacked so that's why it was suggested to me as I recall.
Nice, its clearly working, just don’t want you to burn electricity you don’t need :)

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

This grow is really interesting for me by three factors.
1: I'm purposefully seeing what I can get out of a single female plant. A first for me as well as using a 5 gal. bucket is.
2: This scrog will be a proper one where I use a single story net framework to support the plants rather than two.
3: I know the name of the strain I'm growing.

May the gods smile upon me bring me a female.

Northernpop

Northernpop

Good luck snakeskins, and imo you'll be unlucky not to get 50% females. Many years ago I grew 10, and had to remove 4 males. It's still painful though, so I always buy female now.

You could buy a cheap lux meter, as it's really worth placing the lights at the right distance.

Quick Guide - Lux Levels for Optimal Cannabis Growth

Life Stage Maximum Good Minimum
Vegetative 70,000 lux 40,000 lux 15,000 lux
Flowering 85,000 lux 60,000 lux 35,000 lux
< 15,000 lux - sparse or "stretchy" growth - plant isn't getting enough light
15,000 - 50,000 lux - good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth
45,000 - 65,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage
70,000 - 85,000 lux - a lot of light, some strains do okay at this light level, but some plants lose their top leaves early under this light intensity, especially plants that are not resistant to heat/light (like many indicas)
> 85,000 lux - at this light intensity, you've hit the plant's "saturation point" which means your plant can't use all the light (be careful of light bleaching!)

I'll post an update of my scrog at week three end later this week. It'll be of use, I hope.

Happy growing.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Good luck snakeskins, and imo you'll be unlucky not to get 50% females. Many years ago I grew 10, and had to remove 4 males. It's still painful though, so I always buy female now.

You could buy a cheap lux meter, as it's really worth placing the lights at the right distance.

Quick Guide - Lux Levels for Optimal Cannabis Growth

Life Stage Maximum Good Minimum
Vegetative 70,000 lux 40,000 lux 15,000 lux
Flowering 85,000 lux 60,000 lux 35,000 lux
< 15,000 lux - sparse or "stretchy" growth - plant isn't getting enough light
15,000 - 50,000 lux - good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth
45,000 - 65,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage
70,000 - 85,000 lux - a lot of light, some strains do okay at this light level, but some plants lose their top leaves early under this light intensity, especially plants that are not resistant to heat/light (like many indicas)
> 85,000 lux - at this light intensity, you've hit the plant's "saturation point" which means your plant can't use all the light (be careful of light bleaching!)

I'll post an update of my scrog at week three end later this week. It'll be of use, I hope.

Happy growing.
Thx for the advice. Lux meters seem affordable. I have had a lux meter app that is difficult to use and probably doesn't calculate jack. Let me know about your progress as well. I love to see how my scrog, well not measures, but compares to others' lol.

Northernpop

Northernpop

Yeah, I've downloaded half a dozen apps, and all shite, but they are cheap, so it's worth the investment imo. You'll get used to scrog growing fairly quickly. It's an excellent system for small grows.

If you're wanting to improve your lights on a budget (about $250), I posted a diy build on recently. The difference, compared to my crappy Chinese led is immense.

Last edited:
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Happy Thanksgiving farmers! May you all enjoy this great holiday night. :)

Problems have already presented themselves. It's usually easy for me to keep my plants healthy until flowering but that is not the case this time. I'm not sure what went wrong. I watered too late (twice) so far and the lights are a far 8 in. away from the net so maybe that's what's causing the yellowing of the bottom leaves.

I guess I'll pluck the yellow leaves and hope for the best. If you have any suggestions or insight, please send them my way.

Thx

20181122 225658
Northernpop

Northernpop

Hope it's going well snakeskins!! Yes, big fat indica leaves there.

Mine are mostly sativa, but with a very fast hybrid indica (plus White widow mother). I've done a bit of back building on the tall apex buds on the left, to stop and fatten them out. I'm hoping for a white Christmas. ;p

These are mine at three week flower end. Wondering if they need a bit more nitrogen? Used spent canna pro, that's usually packed with nitrogen, but looks tired. I've upped my feeds slightly, which I rarely do. Fresh bag ready for my next grow (Critical Poison).

Happy growing !!

IMG 0452

Top Bottom