Dull Green:blue Shade Leaves

• Thread starter Madmax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Hi gents..i have a sunset sherbet indica plant that has been showing darker dull green blue leaves..looks somewhat powdery..would this b genetics,enviroment or simply something to do with soil..its not affecting the growth but..others are looking greener,more lush etc..the soil in that area has more clay % than other holes but has pretty close same ammendments.
Closest i can find is phosphorus deficiency? as the only thing relating to dull leaves...pic..
Dull greenblue  shade leaves

Reactions: Ina
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I will say nitrogen abundance. Dark leaves, drooping tips and a scaley feel to it.

Madmax

Madmax

I hope not lol..just gave them some bat guarno 10.10.2 .few bottom leaves are yellowing but could still see a little green pigmentation in leaves..soil was dry..this plant has been like it for id say for around 2 months ..
20181213 145729

Madmax

Madmax

I'll put pics up tomorrow and see what the liquid guarno has done..they seem dry to touch.
If it is nitrogen ,that will b the last time i will give it to it,cause in a month 1/2 time they will b getting close to starting the flowering stage.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
This is nitrogen toxicity. Very dark leaves, tips drooping and very scaley, crumbly feel to it.

418241CA 2500 407C B752 415DEF487F9C

Your new growth seems ok i wouldn’t add anything for a while. Maybe some kelp extract (i use alg-a-mic) spray. It really perks them up in these stressful times.

Madmax

Madmax

Thanks for the info and pic buddy...i will heed your advice and just give them water for awhile.i have been giving them aloe and kelp ferment fertiliser every now and then . npk is N1.67% P1.38% K1.36% .CA 4.39% MG1.54% S 0.993% amino acid 3.05% with trace elements...can b used as foliar or drench.this is waay lower than than the 2 hits of powerfeed theyh ave had.must still have plenty of nitrogen in soil...

Thanks for the help CrimsonEcho

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Thanks for the info and pic buddy...i will heed your advice and just give them water for awhile.i have been giving them aloe and kelp ferment fertiliser every now and then . npk is N1.67% P1.38% K1.36% .CA 4.39% MG1.54% S 0.993% amino acid 3.05% with trace elements...can b used as foliar or drench.this is waay lower than than the 2 hits of powerfeed theyh ave had.must still have plenty of nitrogen in soil...

Thanks for the help CrimsonEcho
Yep it’s a wee bit too much nitrogen n in that mix . Just cut back a bit and like @CrimsonEcho said, add a bit of seaweed into the regiment ! Give her another week from schedule before you flip to flower. Let her burn off that nitrogen a bit

Madmax

Madmax

Cheers jack ...i got between a month ,month and a half before flowering starts.ample time for the girls to either use excess up or flush soil if its cutting it close..hopefully theres just a little bit there at start of flowering stage..

Cheers max

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My first year I grew Royal Nepal Kush and their leaves were dark like that all the way through. My yield and buds came out great. I was worried at first just like you are because of what I read about nitrogen toxicity. Your plant looks very healthy to me, but I'm no expert and my opinion is only based on my limited experience.

...but I do have pics.
20171013 111519
20171014 072614
20171011 072448
20171016 083915
20171016 084016

Madmax

Madmax

They do look similar in color aye.probably in the same boat..i tried to find info on sunset to see if it was genetic...but couldnt find anything... others are way different colour..hence why i mentioned that area has a higher percentage of clay,and is most likely why there is more N available in soil..wow...if yours were a little high on N then ...frock youd b still trimming lol haha..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

They do look similar in color aye.probably in the same boat..i tried to find info on sunset to see if it was genetic...but couldnt find anything... others are way different colour..hence why i mentioned that area has a higher percentage of clay,and is most likely why there is more N available in soil..wow...if yours were a little high on N then ...frock youd b still trimming lol haha..

I live on red clay and decomposing granite & limestone. They are in Smartpots but the roots do dig into the soil below. I think it's a strain thing though. Some strains have those beautiful deep green-blue leaves (and they had that frosty white surface as well).

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah i agree with certain strains being on the darker side.indica is a little darker than sativa
My plant wasnt dark at first but still had dull dry like leaves come to think of it...i gotta pic here somewhere................................here we go.was in the ground not long here..
20181026 172136

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah i agree with certain strains being on the darker side.indica is a little darker than sativa
My plant wasnt dark at first but still had dull dry like leaves come to think of it...i gotta pic here somewhere................................here we go.was in the ground not long here..View attachment 846772

Yup, looks a lot like my baby Kush (which is an Indica). My originals were clones and didn't develope the big floppy elephant ears till later but their offspring, my bean-born Chocolate Nepal had them.

Royal Nepal Kush
20170618 082326
Grow Log 3344 08 29 2017

Chocolate Nepal, very healthy (but because it's indoor, doesn't have that dull grey wax).
20181015 082251

I personally don't see anything wrong with your girl. She looks beautiful to me and I'd be proud if she were mine. I think we, who dote on our girls, get overly worried about little nothing's. However, I would keep a close eye on that surface to make sure there is no PM. It's my guess that it's probably just that protective wax they develope from being in sunlight. I've seen people on here that were only accustomed to indoor growing get worried about it, not knowing it's a natural defense. I was worried about it too. I searched It and found out it was a good thing.

Now if you're just getting white crust near the saw edges then that is your plant doing a nutrient sluff. In that particular case they are telling you to back off on the desserts, lol.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Yeah you may b right buddy,but i will err on the side of caution..that royal nepal grew beautifully.plenty nodes there too..uno when i was talking to my mate earlier he was talking about if the spacing between nodes is long is to reduce nitrogen to bunch the nodes up.we had a big talk and he was basically saying the plants are setting themselves up good and to just give them water till the flowerijng starts as he said they are looking really good...he was quite amazed when i told him plant have only had 3ltrs of water in 5 days..i told him theres alot of amendments in there with water retention capacity.we ended up going to a hardware store and got a moisture meter.he blew out that it read in the green but i was suprised it showed up a couple areas where it went into the red....those areas from now on get gradual watering first .before the rest...

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah you may b right buddy,but i will err on the side of caution..that royal nepal grew beautifully.plenty nodes there too..uno when i was talking to my mate earlier he was talking about if the spacing between nodes is long is to reduce nitrogen to bunch the nodes up.we had a big talk and he was basically saying the plants are setting themselves up good and to just give them water till the flowerijng starts as he said they are looking really good...he was quite amazed when i told him plant have only had 3ltrs of water in 5 days..i told him theres alot of amendments in there with water retention capacity.we ended up going to a hardware store and got a moisture meter.he blew out that it read in the green but i was suprised it showed up a couple areas where it went into the red....those areas from now on get gradual watering first .before the rest...

Mix a a drop or two of dish soap into your water. That should get it into those dry spots by eliminating the surface tension.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

You're welcome, no problem.

Try to stick to the soaps with fewer perfumes. Like original Dawn is a great garden soap. Add a little white vinegar and the combination will help control those fungus gnat larva. Not sure the dosing. You'll have to look it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom