Hid Vs Led - Best Thing I Have Ever Seen

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Don't abandon the 315 watt cmh/lec just yet.. I got 26 oz from 2 SS315 watt cmh and 2 waterfarms.. That's just 6 oz short of 2 lbs.. 5 wks veg, 10 weeks flower after 12/12 flip..
300 watts of good/better led should be able to do a lb in a reasonable amount of time.. By reasonable, i mean in about 120 days from sprout..
excellent yield per watt.

I liked the discussion in the video about tradeoffs between yield and potency, in considering spectrums that are more red vs slightly more blue oriented. I live in a legal state; I only grow for consumption. I'm running 3000K quantums, and adding UVB as a result of seeing this.

Freshone

Freshone

I get what you're saying but when I think out the math on switching over, it goes like this. Say I'm paying $50 per month per 1000W DE HPS now, IF I can get the same results from LED at 600W, 60% of $50 is still $30. If I take another 10% of for reduced AC costs, I'm down to $25 savings per month per light. I would love to save that but it would take 2 1/2 years to get that $800 savings. I don't know much about LED's other than they seem to improve the technology really fast and frequently (reminds me of Iphones), which is why I think long before my power savings cover the cost of switching, the light will be an outdated dinosaur.
Like i said alot depends on your power rates,If i just ran 1 1000 hps (i dont,) the absolute cheapest it would cost me without AC or anything else is about 80-100 a month.I have a friend in another state with alot of hydro power that pays 11 cents a kwh with no tiers so he could give 2 fucks about efficiency,I on the other hand pay like 14 cents then it jumps to 25 cents and QUICKLY once again jumps to 45 cents( Cali Rates).I am in tier 1 (the lowest) on the 1st of the month for about an hour once my lights come on,lol.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

If you're getting a lb out of 300W you are da man. If I was building a new room and had to buy new fixtures anyway, I would give LED a little more consideration.
I'll put this out there again.
21 days of veg from rooted cuttings. 9 liter pots of coir dtw. 200 watts of 3k Samsung strips, 70 watts of supplemental diodes. 18 dried ounces.
DSCN0928
DSCN0967

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Like i said alot depends on your power rates,If i just ran 1 1000 hps (i dont,) the absolute cheapest it would cost me without AC or anything else is about 80-100 a month.I have a friend in another state with alot of hydro power that pays 11 cents a kwh with no tiers so he could give 2 fucks about efficiency,I on the other hand pay like 14 cents then it jumps to 25 cents and QUICKLY once again jumps to 45 cents( Cali Rates).I am in tier 1 (the lowest) on the 1st of the month for about an hour once my lights come on,lol.
10 cents a KWH where I am at and I'm still switching over to LED's.

3 balls

3 balls

DAMN!!! I will never complain about my power bill again. I knew the national average was around .11 a kwh and Alaska, Hawaii and a few others could be double or triple, but those tiers are insane. Stands to reason there is a lot of LED fans by default. I on the other hand, paying .09 with no tiers can wait for this wave of LED R&D to level off. I have no doubt LED is the future but I'm old enough to remember a VCR costing $900.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

DAMN!!! I will never complain about my power bill again. I knew the national average was around .11 a kwh and Alaska, Hawaii and a few others could be double or triple, but those tiers are insane. Stands to reason there is a lot of LED fans by default. I on the other hand, paying .09 with no tiers can wait for this wave of LED R&D to level off. I have no doubt LED is the future but I'm old enough to remember a VCR costing $900.
Betamax! LMAO

F

FutureGrower

I watched this video a few months ago. It really made me think it was a nexlight commercial if I remember correctly. Shango los has great stuff though

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I was going to just say that as well. I’ll take any 315 s anyone is selling cheap all day long. 300 watts of cobs wouldn’t even put a 315 to shame at all. I know led s are super efficient and I’m sold on em actually.. but folks do exaggerate. I was told 400 watts of led would replace a 1k hps.. ya no.. 600 maybe. Think about it this way. If one got 1 gpw off a 1k.. who’s claiming 2.5 gpw off 400 watts of cobs.. anyways what I’m getting at is there’s no need to exaggerate.. led s are sweet and all but they won’t breast feed you or anything geez haha

F

FutureGrower

I was going to just say that as well. I’ll take any 315 s anyone is selling cheap all day long. 300 watts of cobs wouldn’t even put a 315 to shame at all. I know led s are super efficient and I’m sold on em actually.. but folks do exaggerate. I was told 400 watts of led would replace a 1k hps.. ya no.. 600 maybe. Think about it this way. If one got 1 gpw off a 1k.. who’s claiming 2.5 gpw off 400 watts of cobs.. anyways what I’m getting at is there’s no need to exaggerate.. led s are sweet and all but they won’t breast feed you or anything geez haha

I use LEDs but theres a huge variance in LED technology some of it really is "special" but I dont believe it's a night and day.

There is one massive difference, my 315cmh puts off more heat than my 600 watt led. So it will 100% save you cooling cost, some people just think they're magic or something lol.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I use LEDs but theres a huge variance in LED technology some of it really is "special" but I dont believe it's a night and day.

There is one massive difference, my 315cmh puts off more heat than my 600 watt led. So it will 100% save you cooling cost, some people just think they're magic or something lol.
Haha. It just depends. I need the heat in a big way or I’m spending watts warming up my led only chamber. Very different electricity cost and overal climate in Northern Canada vs Southern states for example. It’s currently minus 40 and I’m just struggling to keep my babies warm... under 1k hps.. haha. My poor led chamber.. had to throw my 150 hps in there for so damn heeeeat haha

F

FutureGrower

Haha. It just depends. I need the heat in a big way or I’m spending watts warming up my led only chamber. Very different electricity cost and overal climate in Northern Canada vs Southern states for example. It’s currently minus 40 and I’m just struggling to keep my babies warm... under 1k hps.. haha. My poor led chamber.. had to throw my 150 hps in there for so damn heeeeat haha

Haha I'm in oregon we have some mild winters compared to you guys!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I watched this video a few months ago. It really made me think it was a nexlight commercial if I remember correctly. Shango los has great stuff though
One of my 1st good LED lights was/is a Nextlight Mini. It runs at a modest 150 watts from the wall, (and is augmented by another 350 LED watts in a 3x3) and seems well built but kinda pricey by some of today's standards. (ie: the HLG QBs etc). I sold off my cheaper Import burples a few ago, but always kept the Nextlight. Even though it's a dinosaur by today's standards....it grows pretty nice weed! (their big "MEGA" model is pretty damn nice for a 4x4!)

F

FutureGrower

One of my 1st good LED lights was/is a Nextlight Mini. It runs at a modest 150 watts from the wall, (and is augmented by another 350 LED watts in a 3x3) and seems well built but kinda pricey by some of today's standards. (ie: the HLG QBs etc). I sold off my cheaper Import burples a few ago, but always kept the Nextlight. Even though it's a dinosaur by today's standards....it grows pretty nice weed! (their big "MEGA" model is pretty damn nice for a 4x4!)

They look badass too! No hate here I was just trying to bring a little balance. I think LED is the way forward, but just have to be very careful on which ones you buy.

That's cool you still have your old light in the lineup. They had some really cool veg lights that worked well for thin corridors. I suppose a lot of lights would be good too but it just fit the grow space so well (seen on a grow journal from a different forum)

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

They look badass too! No hate here I was just trying to bring a little balance. I think LED is the way forward, but just have to be very careful on which ones you buy.

That's cool you still have your old light in the lineup. They had some really cool veg lights that worked well for thin corridors. I suppose a lot of lights would be good too but it just fit the grow space so well (seen on a grow journal from a different forum)
I agree..That's why I chose all Samsung SMD boards for the past few purchases. I have a mix of QB132s (2700k and 3500k) and one of their older 288's in 3000k. I run a few Photon Sunboards with alternating 4000k and 2700k in veg (same 301B diodes). Also in the breeding tent..I have been trying a QB288v2, 301C KNOCKOFF board(s) with excellent results. (3000k, but 9" sq as opposed to the QB 288's rectangular footprint). I will keep that Nextlight Mini until it either weakens or is no longer viable!

F

FutureGrower

I agree..That's why I chose all Samsung SMD boards for the past few purchases. I have a mix of QB132s (2700k and 3500k) and one of their older 288's in 3000k. I run a few Photon Sunboards with alternating 4000k and 2700k in veg (same 301B diodes). Also in the breeding tent..I have been trying a QB288v2, 301C KNOCKOFF board(s) with excellent results. (3000k, but 9" sq as opposed to the QB 288's rectangular footprint). I will keep that Nextlight Mini until it either weakens or is no longer viable!

You just made me look up photon boards, kinda cool. I love seeing all the good LED tech out there!

Freshone

Freshone

How many 315s would you like?I think i have 7 or 8 still sitting in the shed next to the gavitas!I can ship,lol.

Phylex

Phylex

I get what you're saying but when I think out the math on switching over, it goes like this. Say I'm paying $50 per month per 1000W DE HPS now, IF I can get the same results from LED at 600W, 60% of $50 is still $30. If I take another 10% of for reduced AC costs, I'm down to $25 savings per month per light. I would love to save that but it would take 2 1/2 years to get that $800 savings. I don't know much about LED's other than they seem to improve the technology really fast and frequently (reminds me of Iphones), which is why I think long before my power savings cover the cost of switching, the light will be an outdated dinosaur.
Damn, that's crazy. I wish my 1000W HPS bill was $50 per month. My bill went up $250. Sticker shock to say the least. I'm considering QB or COB because of it. I haven't made up my mind yet of the two.

Top Bottom