King Led Thoughts?

• Thread starter Twisted13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Twisted13

Twisted13

Unsolicited comment; if possible, have you considered moving the filter and fan outside the tent? That will free up interior space that may come in handy.

I have actually played with that setup over 50 times and the two I’ve settled on is the one that is currently going on which keeps the temps perfectly and the one you suggested with the fan outside which is a bit more work but also feesable should I need more room like you said.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Unsolicited comment; if possible, have you considered moving the filter and fan outside the tent? That will free up interior space that may come in handy.

I have actually played with that setup over 50 times and the two I’ve settled on is the one that is currently going on which keeps the temps perfectly and the one you suggested with the fan outside which is a bit more work but also feesable should I need more room like you said.

I agree with Dan 100%.

You may also need to get it out of the way so you can center a single fixture. I know they don't feel that powerful when you put your hand under them but just one of those fixtures is enough to cook every plant in that tent.

Those 8 COBs can grow 32ft sq of canopy at 10" clearance. 3 of them can easily grow every plant in that tent at 10" clearance during flower, 2 can run the veg, all that at only 60%-65% of their brighness. I've been trying to figure out how you can use only 1 of those x4 fixtures without seriously stunting or killing 3-4 Plants.

Right now I'm thinking 40%-50% power at 16"-18" during veg and 8"-10" during bloom. I hope you don't need CO2 generators at that strength. If you're running CO2 gennnys then 50%-60% power.

This is an estimate but a good starting point. I haven't started seeds with one but if You run it at 10%-15% at 16"-20", maybe 20%-25% all the way at the top. This is more of a guess than estimate. I'd definitely start very low or with a low watt t5 instead.

Dan789

Dan789

Here’s how I moved mine outside the tent. This way I can exhaust both tents with the same set up.
8D66BF85 3323 41BC 924F 4A1CBAF84DE2
CB809DEC 0EBA 49AD BCE9 2A9F6D60CA97
View attachment 852042

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My honest opinion man, at least split those lights into 2x 4x2 tents and and split the exhaust to run both. Why grow 3-4 Plants when you can grow 6-8 for $100 more in equipment/materials.

Optimally, since you already have the most expensive parts, 8x 100w CXB3590, buy 2x 300w & 1x 200w Meanwell drivers. Make three fixtures, 1 x2 & 2 x3 with lights set at 12" on center. Run a x2 veg tent and 2 x3 flower tents, and harvest every month in perpetuity. Dude, if you're gonna overkill it, then get your money's worth.

...or use both to run a 5.5x5.5 tent or bigger.

Or just grow with the one x4 and buy a lounge chair so your lady can tan under the other. (Not sure how safe that is, hehe)

Last edited:
Twisted13

Twisted13

[QUOTE="Dan789, post: 2220892, member: 82100"
Here’s a better picture, improvised plenum made out of cardboard box, and copious use of a hot glue gun.[/QUOTE]
Ok so I’m as we speak working on somehow trying to fit another 4x2 tent it may be weird angles but the inside is what matters. IF big IF here guys I can get another 4x2 tent up there, which would be ideal, I could split the lights keeping the same driver and essentially have two identical grows. I’d probably just do that for one grow before figuring out how to split the lights with more drivers which is head splitting to me. Unless there’s like a walkthrough for doing that. Remember I bought these lights like this already I wish I could take credit for making them.

Twisted13

Twisted13

Oh just for reference what I’m working with here....note the last picture with the ducting was just to get it out of the way for now as I’m moving the tent around trying to work this out.

97541068 01D2 4796 9556 D001B6A0D41E
C209206F 82DD 44FC 8864 B450B759D38C
77EC554E 546A 43BC B016 A7B7D7270479
UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

What you need a tent for. That room is perfect with the slanted ceiling. Haha. Just grow the whole room. Those are badass cobs and you got a good ass deal btw

Twisted13

Twisted13

What you need a tent for. That room is perfect with the slanted ceiling. Haha. Just grow the whole room. Those are badass cobs and you got a good ass deal btw
Your the second person to say use the room. I wouldn’t know how to set it up or I would..... and just use the tent for seedlings or 86 that ish

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Your the second person to say use the room. I wouldn’t know how to set it up or I would..... and just use the tent for seedlings or 86 that ish
Your on it bud. I’d use the tent for veg with a cheapo led or floro setup and use the room to flower. Harvest every couple months and live the dream friend

Dan789

Dan789

Another option instead of using the whole room is to purchase another 4x2 tent place it end to end with the first tent, after first having moved that tent up to the slant of the ceiling in parallel fashion. Both openings to open towards the water heater side, which I’m assuming also has the access to this room. Both tents will end up being (lengthwise) parallel to the wall the water heater is adjacent to.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I don't know if these lights need to be wired in series or paralell. I think they may need to maintain a fixed voltage. In the old days when I was working on electronics that would have meant that you'd change the current (amps) buy running them in parallel, but now with PWM (pulse width modulation) instead of increasing resistance it uses on off cycles. Basically flickering the voltage in bursts at high frequency.

Best way to know, look at how they're wired right now. If all the leads are bunched together at a single point it's parallel, if they are run through each light and into the next in a circle back to the driver, they're series. I'm pretty sure these are connected in parallel since the data sheet says something about the dimmer controlling current.

Should be simple to wire once you know that. The dimmers on these drivers are a separate circuit from the lights and they're marked so they're easy to hook up. All that's left is figuring out what driver to use. Meanwell identifies wattage (or close to it) in the driver model numbers. For example, if it's an ELG-200-24B, then it's going to be somewhere around 200w.

Every light you have is 100w. Here are drivers you should be able to use...

For a 2 light (200w) veg fixture...
41TlutRFUtL AC SY400

...for 3 light (300w flower) fixture. This one is 285w, plenty for what you'd need but you can get a 300w or 320w if you want. This is just an example of a capable driver.
41SjVqtgnCL AC SY400
81sU3iY8w5L AC SL1500
71diYWFxNFL AC SL1500

When/If you are ever ready to break them down into better suited fixtures, let me know. I'll have cracked my own open and studied them by then and will probably have them modified as well. I need to install a dimmable full 100w driver on my single fixture anyway. It only runs at 65w right now and I'm tired of having to adjust it's elevation instead of using a dimmer.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

They're right. You're lights could grow that whole room. No problem.

Growster240

Growster240

If anyone is still running numbers for DLI, I actually made a sheet recently. Hope it helps :)

DLI sheet
Twisted13

Twisted13

Well this is the end result. I’m going to end up doing two identical set ups. Just need to wait for the second driver. It is now 4 100w COBs on 1 320w driver. Looks like good coverage should smash.

E61045D2 258B 49BE 8A11 31AF169774EF

Latest posts

Top Bottom