Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Why not just use a dual hose portable? Window units pretty much need to be oversized in every application and if it's not in an actual window with fresh air plan on doubling the btu you think you need.
well i don't have any personal experience with a portable but i have heard allot of nightmares from ppl with them. i here stories about window units but not any first hand. pretty much every a/c related info review or site i find points to the portable as the worst option in general for cooling a room, but ic you prolly have allot xp being you are a mod. of note may be i already have the window unit and i think for the 8x8 insulated to r-22 room 6k is overkill. KILLER BUDS THO BRO!!!!

N

nicolajanjak

Yo man
Window unit is the runt of ac ( with portable unit)
I work is the biz trust me
What temps is it where you live during Winter and spring
when you want to run a stealth op you can put your outdoor units inside a room
Usually let the window open is enough ( with 20 degree Celsius max outside ..)
You just want the Freon to condensate

And yes inverter are often heat/cool mode so no strange thing running ac during winter
If u can put it outside don’t hesitate mane..

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Yo man
Window unit is the runt of ac ( with portable unit)
I work is the biz trust me
What temps is it where you live during Winter and spring
when you want to run a stealth op you can put your outdoor units inside a room
Usually let the window open is enough ( with 20 degree Celsius max outside ..)
You just want the Freon to condensate

And yes inverter are often heat/cool mode so no strange thing running ac during winter
If u can put it outside don’t hesitate mane..
all that may be true, but given the cost, install hassle, and fact i simply dont want a condenser decorating my landscaping i shall pass on a mini split unless my window unit flat out doesn't work. i am not trying to win efficiency awards and tbh how i have this room plan insulated a window unit prolly be as efficient as most these ppl i see using splits with panda film and shit. i appreciate the feedback for sure tho. again tho, 0 cost out and minimal labor v buying and installinh a mini split for a 8x8 room? idk man my pro/con list must look diff than everyone else ig lol because window wins out in my case

Hemp55

Hemp55

Hello everyone, I could use some help in the flower room. Im trying to get my AC units within a week or two. Mind you, Im trying to cool 8000w DE open hood with ballast all in the room. So Im buying 2 of these to keep things cool. From what I've read this 22,000btu LG ( https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS240HEV1/p56917.html ) has a cooling capacity of 22,000btu. The 24,000btu LG models ( https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS243HLV/p72545.html ) say the cooling capacity is also 22,000btu but the heating capacity and SEER Ratings are higher. I dont need that much heat and from what I've read CannabisJohn saying SEER Rating does matter much in the grow room. So does the 22,000btu model cool as much as the 24,000btu models? Can I save a couple hundred bucks and go that route? Any advice would be very much appreciated, Thanks !

sixstring

sixstring

Personally I don't think that's enough cooling for 8k de lamps in any type of warmer climate. So unless your in a basement in the northern part of the country you should bump up to 2x 30k btu systems. I mean it might get the job done but it's right on the edge Imo. CJ can probably answer better,give him a day or 2 to see this.

Hemp55

Hemp55

I was told 4k btu pre light with with open hood DE. Does it go up pre light because of the ballast? I plan on running lights in the dark during summer time. Temps will be around 60's at night. During winter ill move my flower lights back over to days. Thanks for the feed back!

sixstring

sixstring

6k btu per light covers all additional equipment so just as an example I run 7400w flower and about 1400w veg same building and it's cooled by 4ton ac so 48k btu and I'm in michigan with r40 walls and r60 roof and it works but I'm at the edge.could maybe get away with another 1k lights but I don't plan to try it lol. And some of these factors are 200 pint dehuy,gas co2 and misc fans ect.100w fans make heat also,coffee maker,mini fridge,rosin press BAM I'm over LIMIT!!!!

N

nicolajanjak

Hello everyone, I could use some help in the flower room. Im trying to get my AC units within a week or two. Mind you, Im trying to cool 8000w DE open hood with ballast all in the room. So Im buying 2 of these to keep things cool. From what I've read this 22,000btu LG ( https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS240HEV1/p56917.html ) has a cooling capacity of 22,000btu. The 24,000btu LG models ( https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS243HLV/p72545.html ) say the cooling capacity is also 22,000btu but the heating capacity and SEER Ratings are higher. I dont need that much heat and from what I've read CannabisJohn saying SEER Rating does matter much in the grow room. So does the 22,000btu model cool as much as the 24,000btu models? Can I save a couple hundred bucks and go that route? Any advice would be very much appreciated, Thanks !

hi man
if i can advise you to take another brand
lg is not the most accurate of the market.. design maybe but nothing else

with what outdoor temperatures you will run your setup ? and why not put the ballast outside ? electronic or magnetic ballast ?

Hemp55

Hemp55

Really, LG is not a good brand of mini to run in the grow room ? Ive heard LGs and Mitsubishi are the better ones out there to run in the grow room. As for temps, Summer nights get in the 60's-70's. Winter days will be 30-40's. For the ballast, its either the flower room or veg room for them. Im leaning on flower. Both rooms will have to be cooled so I might as well just get a set of minis that can handle the heat from the bulbs and ballasts in the flower room. The ballast are digital.

N

nicolajanjak

Really, LG is not a good brand of mini to run in the grow room ? Ive heard LGs and Mitsubishi are the better ones out there to run in the grow room. As for temps, Summer nights get in the 60's-70's. Winter days will be 30-40's. For the ballast, its either the flower room or veg room for them. Im leaning on flower. Both rooms will have to be cooled so I might as well just get a set of minis that can handle the heat from the bulbs and ballasts in the flower room. The ballast are digital.
Ok
I would put it in the veg room
A bit hotter for veg is ok because Rh is higher

Mitsubishi is good but lg is a design brand
Not a very good reputation
Not saying it’s bad ac it Ill work for long time without problem I guess but maybe you could choose better brands
Panasonic inverter if u can find it. Because it has good option for humidity control ( mild dry)
That’s the first choice for me but sometimes hard to find
Or Mitsubishi yes

You have cold winter like here in Europe and your summer is not so hot. If you run at night it will be cool
Dont oversized your air condtion’er Or it won’t dehumidify correctly

N

nicolajanjak

How much is your flower ? 6000 watt and 2 k watt veg?
For me 4000 btu per 1000 watt is good because you don’t live in hot states
It makes a big difference
With bottle co2 and ballast outside 4000 is large enough

Hemp55

Hemp55

How much is your flower ? 6000 watt and 2 k watt veg?
For me 4000 btu per 1000 watt is good because you don’t live in hot states
It makes a big difference
With bottle co2 and ballast outside 4000 is large enough

It gets hot in the summer time where I am at. That is why Im running lights in the night hours during summer. My hottest point will be when lights turn on at 7PM. The sun will have around 2 hours left of day light at that point. Im not really oversizing my AC's to much. 8 1000w lights x 4000btu = 32,000btu to keep it cool. If you add another 1000btu for ballasts that puts me up to 40,000btu. Im looking at 2 22,000btu units ( 44,000btu total ) to keep the flower room cooled. That is right above where I need to be at. I will run bottle Co2, as I dont want a burner in the room. Im thinking the Dehumidifier on both the units should be able to handle it. If not then Ill buy a Dehumidifier unit and place it in the room. This is just for a 8000w flower room that is going to be sealed. Insulated on all sides of the flower room and in the ceiling as well.

Hemp55

Hemp55

6k btu per light covers all additional equipment so just as an example I run 7400w flower and about 1400w veg same building and it's cooled by 4ton ac so 48k btu and I'm in michigan with r40 walls and r60 roof and it works but I'm at the edge.could maybe get away with another 1k lights but I don't plan to try it lol. And some of these factors are 200 pint dehuy,gas co2 and misc fans ect.100w fans make heat also,coffee maker,mini fridge,rosin press BAM I'm over LIMIT!!!!

I dont plan on having a Co2 burner, coffee maker, mini fridge or rosin press in the flower room lol. Maybe a dehuy if my Minis cant handle it.

L

Liukang

Well it appears that my thread disappeared from the forum during the server change. So here goes a new one. Ask away about your grow room a/c questions.

Hey John,
I’m adding a/c to my grow. I use a tent in a non insulated attic. I may be over thinking this but I think there is two ways I can go with this. I can either add the portable a/c to the tent (just vent cool air to the intake), put board insulation on the tent. Or. I can build a small insulated room around the tent that also houses the pier table a/c.

If I go the room route it won’t twchnically be sealed because I will vent the a/c outside of it. Will this be ok as the only outlet to the room? I’ll be adding co2. Also what would you suggest for a door? I was planning on just a frame and insulation board.

N

nicolajanjak

Hey John,
I’m adding a/c to my grow. I use a tent in a non insulated attic. I may be over thinking this but I think there is two ways I can go with this. I can either add the portable a/c to the tent (just vent cool air to the intake), put board insulation on the tent. Or. I can build a small insulated room around the tent that also houses the pier table a/c.

If I go the room route it won’t twchnically be sealed because I will vent the a/c outside of it. Will this be ok as the only outlet to the room? I’ll be adding co2. Also what would you suggest for a door? I was planning on just a frame and insulation board.

bro you cant do it with a portable ac you need a mini split with an outdoor unit

L

Liukang

bro you cant do it with a portable ac you need a mini split with an outdoor unit

Thanks. I looked into those. Not what I want to spend right now. I built the room. Cut out a door and reinforced it. The negative pressure is holding it in place. I did vent the hose outside of it. Temps have been perfect but the ac runs a fan when not cooling so I’m adding temp control to possibly drop the energy used.

OngSkap

OngSkap

I’ve been reading this thread all day and am going a little crazy coming up with a good window ac brand.
I have a 7x9x9 room with 2 x 1000w DE gavitas. And another smaller room (5x9x9) connected with another 1000w DE gavita. Minimum looking for 18000btu window ac. Not going for a mini-split or anything of the kind, just a window ac through the wall as there is already a space in the wall for one.
Now, I’m struggling to make a decision on which brand to pick up. Reviews on window ac’s are rough and have slowed the process for me. I see a lot of Frigidaire, LG, Amana, Whirlpool...
Can anyone speak to the quality of any 18k btu window ac’s that are a solid buy?
I’m leaning towards Frigidaire.

3 balls

3 balls

I’ve been reading this thread all day and am going a little crazy coming up with a good window ac brand.
I have a 7x9x9 room with 2 x 1000w DE gavitas. And another smaller room (5x9x9) connected with another 1000w DE gavita. Minimum looking for 18000btu window ac. Not going for a mini-split or anything of the kind, just a window ac through the wall as there is already a space in the wall for one.
Now, I’m struggling to make a decision on which brand to pick up. Reviews on window ac’s are rough and have slowed the process for me. I see a lot of Frigidaire, LG, Amana, Whirlpool...
Can anyone speak to the quality of any 18k btu window ac’s that are a solid buy?
I’m leaning towards Frigidaire.
I have run Frigidaire and LG 24k's with great luck. It always amazes me how long they last. Imo, any of those upper tier brands you mention would work great and are likely built of the same components.

OngSkap

OngSkap

I have run Frigidaire and LG 24k's with great luck. It always amazes me how long they last. Imo, any of those upper tier brands you mention would work great and are likely built of the same components.
Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. How long did they last you? I’ll be running the ac all summer then switching to air exchange during colder months. It was 65 degrees out today and my air exchange was barely keeping the room at 80

B

Burned Haze

If you can afford it for portable A/C but want it to last and be competitive towards a mini split or traditional a/c. Get a kwikool (they even make geothermal versions, heat/ac versions, overhead hung like a quest dehumidifier version)

They are pretty badass and def the commercial of portable a/c’s ( one of my buddy’s showed me his and then I got myself a 2.5 ton, on my 2nd round with no errors or flaws , it def can cool my room no problem )

Top Bottom