Carbon Exhaust Size And Intake Fan Size

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Naturalx

Naturalx

Hello,

I've got a 48x48 grow tent. I didn't purchase my exhaust fan because amazon double billed me for the light I bought. I ended up just keeping the light and i'm ordering the exhaust fan tomorrow.

The wife is concerned about smell. 4 plants maximum is all I will be growing in this tent. The vivosun 440 CFM 6" exhaust kit is probably overkill for this space but I want to ensure no smells are getting out as she is afraid it will cling to her clothes. We have a spare bedroom and she uses the closet in there for her clothes.

Is the 6" unneccesary? Should I just go with the 4" kit from vivosun? As well what size of inline booster fan should I use for an intake? My cat keeps climbing in the intake hole and there's no way those lights are good for her eyes so I'd like to seal that up and run some ducting with a booster fan.

Dan789

Dan789

With one 4x4 tent I’d guess a four inch inline duct fan would be ok, I’m exhausting two 4x4 and one 18x36 tent with one 6” fan. Regarding odors is something else and quite strain dependent. I’ve been using a “Phatt activated charcoal filter” (6”) and that’s been very good on odors, the last thing you want is buying something that almost works, I don’t know about the vivosun filter. As for the intake ducting, get a glue gun and some cheese cloth and glue it over the end of the protruding ducting, instant cat guard and keeps most bugs out also. Don’t think you’ll need any booster fans...

85ABC47D 2EC2 44F7 AC1A CCD887ED044C
A42CA695 D1D3 4E7C BCCC 0B4865A1D754
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Get the 6” and a speed controller. Always better to have more airflow available.

And the intake fan should be a little less powerful so the tent has negative pressure and the smell stays inside and going through the carbon filter.

But when you open it the smell will still escape and you have to have a plan for drying the flowers when its time.

Naturalx

Naturalx

Get the 6” and a speed controller. Always better to have more airflow available.

And the intake fan should be a little less powerful so the tent has negative pressure and the smell stays inside and going through the carbon filter.

But when you open it the smell will still escape and you have to have a plan for drying the flowers when its time.
I was hoping to use the tent itself for drying if all three plants finish together. Same strains same breeder so I’m hoping they’re reasonably close.

I’m going to pick up a humidifier and dehumidifier with a controller as well to get an ideal situation.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I was hoping to use the tent itself for drying if all three plants finish together. Same strains same breeder so I’m hoping they’re reasonably close.

I’m going to pick up a humidifier and dehumidifier with a controller as well to get an ideal situation.

Always good to have. Here in michigan in winter i run a pair of dehumidifiers in my basement and a humidifier upstairs in the living and plant area.

The seeds will likely produce different plants with different finishing times. Also be prepared to control different height and growing speed. Also watering frequency and nutrient needs.

Only way to be sure of plant uniformity is to pick a mother and take cuttings. Clones.

Just some precautions to think about.

gwheels

gwheels

Get a good filter. The fan doesnt matter (vivosun or fusion or whatever) but in my experience quality filters will take the smell out of the dankest strains. It is kind of shocking when i open my tent how strong the odor is when outside of the tent there is zero odor. I use a canfilter 45 profilter (24 inches long) and it could do a 4 x 4. I used a 16 inch 6 inch no name before in my 4 x 4 (a little more area) and you could smell dank in certain areas of the stairs and basement from the exhaust.

If smell is an issue save money on the fan (noise) and spend it on the filter.

If money is not an issue get a vortex or something quality for a fan too. You never regret having something that lasts longer and works better.

And if you have the cash don't get a fan controller get a veriac transformer..Unless you are running full blast all the time in which case it doesn't matter.

This is my less than humble opinion....:D

I also exhaust into the basement so it can linger...

Last edited:
WestbyGod

WestbyGod

Hello,

I've got a 48x48 grow tent. I didn't purchase my exhaust fan because amazon double billed me for the light I bought. I ended up just keeping the light and i'm ordering the exhaust fan tomorrow.

The wife is concerned about smell. 4 plants maximum is all I will be growing in this tent. The vivosun 440 CFM 6" exhaust kit is probably overkill for this space but I want to ensure no smells are getting out as she is afraid it will cling to her clothes. We have a spare bedroom and she uses the closet in there for her clothes.

Is the 6" unneccesary? Should I just go with the 4" kit from vivosun? As well what size of inline booster fan should I use for an intake? My cat keeps climbing in the intake hole and there's no way those lights are good for her eyes so I'd like to seal that up and run some ducting with a booster fan.
I have a 4x4 Vivosun tent and use the Vivosun 4" fan. It works fine, moves plenty of air through carbon filter.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Dont mess around with cheap filters. As was recommended look into Can-filters. They are very good at scrubbing odours, just make sure its properly sized for the fan.

Removing air there is 2 factors, velocity, and volume. As far as removing smell goes, only the velocity really matters, but the fan will be rated in GPM. You want the air moving through the filter as slow as possible, so what I would recommend is a 6" fan with speed controller, and get a filter that is rated for the same or more GPM of flow rate as the fan is. With the fan turned down a bit, you are nearly guaranteed to scrub the air properly.

I wouldn't bother with an intake fan personally, I would do a 6-8" passive Intake with a backflow preventer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For passive intake in a tent its best to have 4x the area intaking as exhausting or the tent will have too much negative pressure and suck its walls way in.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
With one 4x4 tent I’d guess a four inch inline duct fan would be ok, I’m exhausting two 4x4 and one 18x36 tent with one 6” fan. Regarding odors is something else and quite strain dependent. I’ve been using a “Phatt activated charcoal filter” (6”) and that’s been very good on odors, the last thing you want is buying something that almost works, I don’t know about the vivosun filter. As for the intake ducting, get a glue gun and some cheese cloth and glue it over the end of the protruding ducting, instant cat guard and keeps most bugs out also. Don’t think you’ll need any booster fans...

I just installed two of these on each of my cabinets. Very quiet and efficient. I used two when one one have been enough; however i did not want them running at high speed all the time. They come in several different sizes. They can all be found on amazon. The thing i like most about them is that they ramp up/down based on temp and or humidity.

I agree with the others; use a quality can type filter to go with this. If you go cheap with the filter, the "One Who Must Be Obeyed" will not be happy and your Chi will be VERY out of balance. :)

I went with IPower also on Amazon

Upload 2019 2 15 18 57 14

Upload 2019 2 15 19 4 1

AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, Quiet 4” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Late to the party.... Is that set up to push airflow thru the filter directly into assumably your garage? No smell? Speed controller or full throttle 24/7?

Dan789

Dan789

Late to the party.... Is that set up to push airflow thru the filter directly into assumably your garage? No smell? Speed controller or full throttle 24/7?
Slow speed 24/7, pulls from the three tents, exhausts through the filter, one fan only, at least two passive 6” intake flexible duct hoses (per tent) with fore mentioned cheese cloth hot glued across the intake, or make up air end...it all ends up inside the partitioned portion of the garage. When hot air is exhausted, I open the door to the other portion of the garage to limit heat build up (now during warmer months). In the colder months, the extra heat is scavenged to warm the colder grow area of the garage during the night, lights for bloom run at night, vegging starts at 6:00 AM. No smell, inside or more importantly outside the garage.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I have a multi tent set up in basement. Both tents total approx 200cf. I use a 190cfm fan full speed 24/7 to exhaust out a stealth window set up. I'm content with air volume exchange but still slight odor. I'm trying to figure odor free combination. I tried ipower filters which quit working after three months. I've used a phresh filter with decent results. Still only 6 months outta that one. Vivosun brand new didn't even touch it. Worthless. Filters have been rated at 200 or better. Suggestions have been slowing the fan down, but the typical dial type speed controller sucks ass. Very little to no variable when turned down. I guess my rambling is just looking for any suggestions to fan/filter/controller to control odor. Focus on fan speed or just go with better/larger filter. Seemed to work decent with phresh 250cfm filter, but I hear guys say they haven't touched the filter for two years. I'm thinking bullshit on that, but I'm not sure. Haha. I'm about to start a thread on fan filter combos.

Top Bottom