Resource icon

How can I transplant my plant into a bigger pot?

Transplanting cannabis plants is a crucial process when growing your own. This article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to transplant a cannabis plant from a 6" pot to its final home.

Introduction to Transplanting​

Transplanting is essential for cannabis plants, especially as they grow and require more space. Stretch, our example plant, has outgrown its 6" pot and is ready for a larger home.

Step 1: Prepare the Soil​

Prepare the soil in the new pot, filling it about 2/3 full. Create a 4-5" deep bowl in the center, slightly off-center. Wet the soil with water and a bit of Epsom salt, as this can help prevent potential nutrient deficiencies.

Important note on soil preparation​

If using a soil mix with organic fertilizers, it must be prepared at least 7-10 days before use to allow microorganisms to develop. If using pre-fertilized potting soil with neutral additives like perlite, this step is less crucial.

Step 2: Loosen the Soil in the Old Pot​

Using a spoon or knife handle, go around the pot's edge to loosen the soil. Be careful when encountering roots, making sure to work around them. Using an up/down motion can also help loosen the soil.

Step 3: Remove the Plant from the Old Pot​

Turn the plant upside down, supporting the stem and soil with your hand. Place the stem between your fingers, covering as much soil surface as possible. Gently shake and lift the pot away from the soil, using the drain holes to push out the soil.

Step 4: Loosen the Soil Around the Roots​

Gently try to loosen the soil around the roots. It's not necessary to remove all the soil, but a small amount of loosening can help.

Step 5: Place the Plant in the New Pot​

Position the plant in the hole created in the new pot, about 3 inches below the pot's top.

Step 6: Water the Plant​

Water the plant with about a cup of water, watering around the plant rather than directly at the base. Soaking the medium is not necessary and can inhibit rapid root growth.

Step 7: Top off with Soil and Spray​

Add more soil until the pot is almost full, and spray the top layer to wet it down slightly.

Wrapping Up​

Stretch now has a new home where it can continue to grow. The transplanting process should take around 12 minutes and result in resumed growth within a few days.

Frequently Asked Questions​

1. Why is transplanting cannabis plants necessary? Transplanting is essential to provide more space for cannabis plants to grow and develop a healthy root system.
  2. When should I transplant my cannabis plants? Transplant when the plant has outgrown its current pot, typically when it's around 21 days old.
  3. What size pot should I transplant my cannabis plant into? The final pot size depends on the plant's expected size and growth, but it should be significantly larger than the previous pot.
  4. How can I prevent nutrient deficiencies when transplanting? Adding Epsom salt to the water when wetting the soil can help prevent potential nutrient deficiencies.
  5. How long does it take for a cannabis plant to recover from transplanting? The plant should resume growth within a few days after transplanting.
Author
logic
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from logic

Top Bottom