Contact Us
Want to advertise here? Contact us today to begin
logic

Hydro vs. Organic

Hydro vs. Organic

1. logic
    I have to respectfully disagree that hydroponics will yield higher than organics. There is a difference between growth rate and the yield. Because something grows faster does not mean it yields more in the same space. If you factor in time for veg growth, hydroponics will have the edge in yield. If you have a separate veg area, that timing issue is irrelevant.

Having greater aromatics is a matter of opinion and relative to growing skill and methods. When done correctly, organics (organic nutrients, soilless mixes) produce buds that smell just as strong as those grown hydroponically. I will concede that hydro-grown plants do have a slightly faster growth rate, but to solidly state that they yield more overall, I believe is misleading.

The reason that I switched to organics was because I didn't see enough difference in either growth or anything else to warrant the need for so much monitoring and expensive meters and nutrients. I think that the only provable plus to hydroponics is growth rate.Whereas the cons are chemical aftertaste in the flavour of buds, extreme susceptibility to over/under fertilization, very high initial investment, many things to break and clog, etc.

If grown in a nice airy organic soil mix and watered with good organic amendments, growth enhancers and beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae), you will easily compete with that of a hydroponic system. Your end result will be full flavored, non-chemical tasting buds. They can be arguably, slightly more potent due to the fact that, as of now, science cannot compete with Mother Nature and naturally occurring elements.

Bottom line - unless you are obsessed with fittings, toys and technology (and many are) organics can grow nearly as fast, just as big (if not bigger), better tasting and IMHO more potent buds. And they do this with very little initial investment, and are very forgiving of newbie mistakes.

Recent Reviews

1. OldManRiver
    OldManRiver
    1/5,
    Sorry, this just perpetuates bad myths. Weed does not pick up a chemical taste from hydro, just as hot house tomatoes and lettuce grown hydroponically don't taste bad. I grow in soil using a fairly organic approach, and full on hydro. There is no discernable difference in taste.

Hydro requires technical skills that soil does not. If you're not handy, hydro is not for you. But I get better, faster crops out of hydro than I used to out of soil indoors. Outdoors, I use soil, and a fairly organic approach, and get great results.
  2. Badmf
    Badmf
    1/5,
    NopeIve done and do both, hydro doesn’t have a chem aftertaste. If you know what you’re doing, I do organic as it’s better for the planet but if you are commerce hydro period.
  3. dutch.pirate
    dutch.pirate
    3/5,
    I think the focus shouldn't be on the quality of buds since they can reach very similar results.

The big difference I think is that:
    - Hydro can be more automated and you don't have to deal with soil (very useful if you live in an apartment).
    - Soil is less prone to errors. If something goes bad with your hydro system, you might lose your crop. Soil is more forgiving for mistakes.
  4. Oldhippy1955
    Oldhippy1955
    5/5,
    Love to have soil in my hands, good to hear it's what I "should use"! Thanks