10' x 10' MPB room build

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Hello there everyone out there in MPB land...
It is time for me to get my build finally started!:banana:

It will be approx 10' x 10' room, that is being built with a 2 foot crawl space under it. It will be a sealed room, and will have 5 MPB units in there with 4k worth of HPS hanging vertical.
Last weekend was spent all just cleaning out the area, and getting most of the building materials.
Anyhow, here is day one end of day one of the build so far...:rauch08:

10 x 10 mpb room build
10 x 10 mpb room build 2
10 x 10 mpb room build 3
10 x 10 mpb room build 4
10 x 10 mpb room build 5
Boylobster

Boylobster

That looks like a day's work, at least! :D What a clean start... it bodes well for the future. :) I'll be watchin'!

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Looking good Trichromefan, that's a good days work! Throw some specs up of what equipment ur gonna run and strain if ya get a chance and don't mind sharing. Always love seeing and hearing of new MPB setups!
Is there gonna be a 2nd door on the other end? Is the crawlspace for a cooltube setup? How big are you gonna veg. your girls out before flip? 10'x10' sounds kinda small for 5 girls once you get things dialed in, not necessarily a bad thing! ;) lol

Thanks and I'll be watching!

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Throw some specs up of what equipment ur gonna run and strain if ya get a chance and don't mind sharing. Always love seeing and hearing of new MPB setups!
Is there gonna be a 2nd door on the other end? Is the crawlspace for a cooltube setup? How big are you gonna veg. your girls out before flip? 10'x10' sounds kinda small for 5 girls once you get things dialed in, not necessarily a bad thing! ;) lol
Equipment?
I will be running 4 1k Hortilux's in 6" cool tubes w/ Lumatek ballasts. I am planning on a 1.5 ton split A/C. Haven't settled on which one yet. I got a JBJ 1/2 hp chiller coming. Danner mag-drive 700 for that and an 1800 for circulation. I still need to get my top feed pump. I will be using 10" net pots filled with Hydroton. I am using the same bins as mr. dizzle and lost.
Strain?
Well, that I don't quite have figured out yet. Maybe something with training wheels attatched.:D
Crawlspace?
Well, the idea is that I can use that for the air inlet for the cool tubes, run my drain pipes below the floor, leave me with a large, cool, concrete slab, in which to place several water storage tanks You know, just a few hundred gallons for flushing and filling the system.
Door? No, only 1 door, and I made sure that it opens out.
Don't think that I am going to try pushing the size envelope the first run. Probably just under 2 feet to start with, till I learn the system.
We shall see how the 10 x 10 works out. I really don't want to give up more space for the chamber.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

That looks like a day's work, at least! :D What a clean start... it bodes well for the future. :) I'll be watchin'!

BL,
Damn, I missed seeing you in there. Yep, you guys have me motivated. My goal is to dry run the room in 1 month, working on the weekends mostly, and a few evenings here and there. Thanks for the compliments.

L

Loudblunts

ooooooooooooooo looks interesting!!!!

i could never figure out how to run the reservoir for a mpb system

looks like you have!!!! you cheated and raised the floor!!! hahahaha good idea bro!

S

SouthernFarms

Subscribed- My home is built on a 24-30" crawlspace.
I am contemplating using it for the tanks. But will either have to enlarge the opening to get them under the house or tear up the floor to do so. not sure it is worth the hassle.

HG23

HG23

Hey TF,

Looks interesting so far, Ill be with ya. What is your ceiling height in the 10X10 space?

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Look's like your off to a good start TF. Subscribed.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
nice work TrichromeFan! are you going to button down ply for the floor, or make it easily removable? hatches?

Papa

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

ooooooooooooooo looks interesting!!!!

i could never figure out how to run the reservoir for a mpb system

looks like you have!!!! you cheated and raised the floor!!! hahahaha good idea bro!
Thanks, I just figured that I had almost 10' of height, and had to build a room from scratch anyhow, you might as well go custom. It made sense to have space underneath. Good for all sorts of things.:character0050:
Subscribed- My home is built on a 24-30" crawlspace.
I am contemplating using it for the tanks. But will either have to enlarge the opening to get them under the house or tear up the floor to do so. not sure it is worth the hassle.
SouthernFarms,
Glad to have you aboard. As far as your floor, I wouldn't advise tearing up the floor for putting tanks down there. Maybe something different with the tanks will have to be done. :thinking
Hey TF,

Looks interesting so far, Ill be with ya. What is your ceiling height in the 10X10 space?
HG,
The ceiling height will be 6' 9 1/2" exact.
A little low maybe, but there will be no stands to use for the MPB's. I would say if people were stacking the containers it would be about the same exact height to a normal 8' ceiling.:cool0044:
Look's like your off to a good start TF. Subscribed.
Thanks Midnight_son. Glad to have you aboard.
nice work TrichromeFan! are you going to button down ply for the floor, or make it easily removable? hatches?
Thank you there Papa. I am going to use subfloor adhesive and screws to attach the 3/4 ply.
Why removable or hatches? That sounds like a leak in the room to me. I can access the whole underside from the front pretty easily.

So, I got a bit more done on the framing today. Mostly blocks to reinforce the structure, and to seal in the walls all over the place. The interior walls are being framed with 2x6, and the exterior facing walls are going to be made thicker by one more 2x4 before I am through. It is all in the efforts to pack the crap out of the walls with fiberglass. Trying to make it like a big cooler. It is in a garage, and heat in the summer can be a bitch. :sign0055:
I also figured out all of my exact positioning of my MPB's and light tubes on the floor. Seems to fit well.
That is all for this weekend. Well, now I get to wait for my next weekend again, to get some real work done again.:rauch08:

IMG 1260
IMG 1262
IMG 1263
E

easypleasie

Coming along nicely, bro. Reinforce like crazy! You're gonna have a good 1200 to 1500 pounds on that floor!

L

Loudblunts

this is gonna be sweat...cant wait to see how you route those feeder lines and such

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
TF, it might be a good idea to put a 2nd door on the other side, or a small sealed secret hatch for the back corner, opposite your door. My reasoning behind this is that those girls might get bigger than you expect and you'll have no way to get to the back 2 girls.

Since you said that it can get hot where you are, especially in the garage... A 1-1/2 ton A/C might not be big enough for 4-1k's.

1.5 ton A/C = 18,000btu cooling.

1-1k light = 4-5k btu heat, it would be a good idea to go with 5k if it gets hot where u are (or hell, just a 1-3 week window of really hot weather could really cost you). So your gonna have 20,000btu's of heat to cool. It'd be worth the little extra to go with a 2-ton unit IMO.

How are you gonna cool the outer room (garage) where the rez., ballast's, pumps, chillers etc. are? One way to get away with running a 1-1/2 ton A/C in your flower room would be to cool your outer room (garage) as well. It would also make it easier to keep your rez. temps in check. You could get away with running a wall a/c unit which are inexpensive and you can get up to 2-ton units.
How large is your outer room and with NO cooling how hot would you say it gets in there? Remember that all those ballasts and pumps are gonna be creating heat so it's gonna get hotter than your used to.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick, just throwing my opinions and idea's out there. Take from this what you will and good luck with everything. I'm very interested to see your return and rez setup! Good luck!!

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
^ some very good points here. I love how people deal with problems and are always willing to share with others. Makes things a ton easier to deal with.

Can you show a layout of how plants and lights will configure?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Coming along nicely, bro. Reinforce like crazy! You're gonna have a good 1200 to 1500 pounds on that floor!
Thank you very much sir! I definitely am doing a lot of reinforcing. Each MPB has 2 braces directly under each one. 3/4" Ply will make for even more strength. I even thought of some posts to the ground below, but I want to see how the under side lays out first.
this is gonna be sweat...cant wait to see how you route those feeder lines and such
Well I hope you meant sweet, unless I undersize the A/C :D
Thanks for the interest in the project! I am planning to route all plumbing under the floor, until it pops up where it will terminate.

TF, it might be a good idea to put a 2nd door on the other side, or a small sealed secret hatch for the back corner, opposite your door. My reasoning behind this is that those girls might get bigger than you expect and you'll have no way to get to the back 2 girls.

Since you said that it can get hot where you are, especially in the garage... A 1-1/2 ton A/C might not be big enough for 4-1k's.

1.5 ton A/C = 18,000btu cooling.

1-1k light = 4-5k btu heat, it would be a good idea to go with 5k if it gets hot where u are (or hell, just a 1-3 week window of really hot weather could really cost you). So your gonna have 20,000btu's of heat to cool. It'd be worth the little extra to go with a 2-ton unit IMO.

How are you gonna cool the outer room (garage) where the rez., ballast's, pumps, chillers etc. are? One way to get away with running a 1-1/2 ton A/C in your flower room would be to cool your outer room (garage) as well. It would also make it easier to keep your rez. temps in check. You could get away with running a wall a/c unit which are inexpensive and you can get up to 2-ton units.
How large is your outer room and with NO cooling how hot would you say it gets in there? Remember that all those ballasts and pumps are gonna be creating heat so it's gonna get hotter than your used to.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick, just throwing my opinions and idea's out there. Take from this what you will and good luck with everything. I'm very interested to see your return and rez setup! Good luck!!
OK, first off, I appreciate the input.
The opposite wall is the outside of the garage, so to put a door there, wouldn't really be too good of an option. I unfortunately only have the one door for an access, although I see your point.
It definitely gets hot where I am at in the summer. It can reach into the mid to high 100's on occasion. I am going a little nuts with the insulation on this room. The walls that touch the exterior of the garage will be 7" deep inside, for extra fiberglass stuffing. All the inside walls are 2x6, again for more stuffing. Same deal on the roof, and under the floor, that hard foam insulation. The inside of the whole room will also be coated in reflectix to boot. Also to help out with the 4 1k's I am running them in cool tubes. I have been thinking about going for the 2 ton anyhow. I am about to pick one up in the next week or two, so I gotta make up my mind. As far as my res, it will be on a concrete floor, so that will help a bit, and I went a little oversized on the chiller. DDS recommends a 1/2 hp for 10, so I used a 1/2 for 5. If I need to in hotter times, the garage also has a large window unit that should be good for something...I would say the garage is somewhere around 20' x 30'. I am not so worried about the ballasts being hot, as long as I can keep my rez in check. Thanks for all the input. This is the kind of stuff that makes this site awesome!:pimp:
^ some very good points here. I love how people deal with problems and are always willing to share with others. Makes things a ton easier to deal with.

Can you show a layout of how plants and lights will configure?
Yep, sharing is caring... Thank you, everyone.

I don't have a diagram that is presentable for posting as of yet. My graphics skills are not so good. The layout is just like Easypleasie has. The plants will be 52" on center, measured diagonally, with the lights at 36" to the plants.

Low res version:
XOX
OXO
XOX

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes, this site is awesome, everyone is willing to help out and give there experience's. I've definitely gotten some awesome help from many members on here. It's great that people post there grows and you can watch the improvements people are making each harvest they get under there belt.

TF, those cool-tube's are gonna help big time and damn that's a lot of insulation, I like it! lol

What about putting a trap door big enough for you to squeeze through that you can get to thru the crawl space. As far as keeping the room sealed you could put a rubber seal around the trap door and use a tight latch to help seal. Or you could even put a 2nd door on the back corner of the adjacent wall instead of opposite which would still be inside the garage. Just thinking out loud and seeing as your in the middle of room construction it makes it a lot easier change now than later.
I think your gonna be growing some monsters here in no time and would hate to see the back 2 girls get lonely cause you can't get to them. lol

I could see you needing to use that window a/c in your garage, temps outside well into the 100's is pretty rough. What kind of night time temps do you usually see during the summer (when its 100+ in the day)? Are you going to be running 12-on at night and 12-off during the day? Also, where are you pulling air from for the cooltubes and where are you venting them to?

Keep up the good work!

O

OregonMeds

He could just belly crawl through the room, he'll have to leave air space under the plants anyway or things could get ugly.

Nice work man, you look like you've done more work making that elevated room than I have done to make my entire garage usable.

I guess that explains why my plants are dead though.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Yes, this site is awesome, everyone is willing to help out and give there experience's. I've definitely gotten some awesome help from many members on here. It's great that people post there grows and you can watch the improvements people are making each harvest they get under there belt.

TF, those cool-tube's are gonna help big time and damn that's a lot of insulation, I like it! lol

What about putting a trap door big enough for you to squeeze through that you can get to thru the crawl space. As far as keeping the room sealed you could put a rubber seal around the trap door and use a tight latch to help seal. Or you could even put a 2nd door on the back corner of the adjacent wall instead of opposite which would still be inside the garage. Just thinking out loud and seeing as your in the middle of room construction it makes it a lot easier change now than later.
I think your gonna be growing some monsters here in no time and would hate to see the back 2 girls get lonely cause you can't get to them. lol

I could see you needing to use that window a/c in your garage, temps outside well into the 100's is pretty rough. What kind of night time temps do you usually see during the summer (when its 100+ in the day)? Are you going to be running 12-on at night and 12-off during the day? Also, where are you pulling air from for the cooltubes and where are you venting them to?

Keep up the good work!

ALLegal, you are f'n right. This site is the shit! Awesome people. Awesome knowledge shared!
I know that I am going a little nutty on the insulation and such, but why not? I love building stuff anyway. More insulated, more better! I just picked up the foam sheet insulation for under the floor. Sheets are 2" thick, solid. I hear you guys about getting to the back of the room, and will be thinking some more on that one. Maybe one run to see how bad it will be in there. I am sure that I will have some between run mods to do anyway. Outdoor temps in the summertime cool off pretty good here. Not like in the south. I would say that it is in the 60's at night in the summer maybe? I am not sure what it is inside the garage then. I definitely will be running at night. I always have done my flowering then. The cool tube ducts will suck air from below the floor. I am planning on mounting flanges right into the floor, running the tubes and ducting straight up and down. Then out the ceiling into a collector hooked to an 8" fan that is run through a plate mounted to a gable vent to outside.

He could just belly crawl through the room, he'll have to leave air space under the plants anyway or things could get ugly.

Nice work man, you look like you've done more work making that elevated room than I have done to make my entire garage usable.

I guess that explains why my plants are dead though.

Oh don't think that I haven't already envisioned the belly crawl. I know that I am always trying to pack 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound box.
The work on the room is barely yet begun. So far, just 1 weekend. But wait, another weekend is here. Time to work some more!:icon_cookie:

Top Bottom