1000w Cmh Vs 800w Cobs Side By Side

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

Gonna start this comparison in 10 days and wanna gather input and suggestions before i kick it off.The last comparison was with 2 315 CMH vs 700 watts of cobs dimmed and now i wanna run the 1000 vs the whole 800 of COBS
Strains will be 6 Gorilla Glue #4 clones on one side and the other side will be 6 J beezy wedding cakes.
12 bucket RDWC in a controlled sealed room running 2 ton mini and Co2.
The Nanolux CMH was on back order and they finally got the shipment in and ill have my hands on it wednesday.I ordered 2 but will only be using 1 for this comparison.
They come with a reflector for 5x5 footprint but i also have a raptor i can use and just use the remote ballast wired to the raptor.Suggestions are welcome on anything you guys want to see done on this comparison.Ill check the footprint on the stock nanolux and see how it looks over a 4x5.I want to be as fair in this comparison as possible.

Cob setup is 15 Bridgelux vero 29 D 3000K (80 CRI)on 3 240-1400mA drivers.The cobs are 38.7 volts multiplied by 1.4 amps giving me 814 watts total.Everything is wired to 220V.Everything is wired and built on the cobs ready to go,All the parts i got from RapidLED to build the setups.

All the clones are under CMH now but will be under 1200 watts of 5000k cobs tommorrow in big buckets.As soon as they all get size to flower they will go in the flower room where i will start the comparisons.
Ill be looking at all aspects including final weight to see if the extra 200 watts of CMH was worth the difference in yield.

The contenders in totes right now.GG in the front tote and WC in back tote.In the comparison i will run them 6 on each side giving 3 of each under each separate light.

1000w cmh vs 800w cobs side by side

The COB setup to cover a 4x5

1000w cmh vs 800w cobs side by side 2

And the nanolux fixture ill be using.

Any suggestions before it starts or something you guys would like to see im all ears.

H

heisen

Yeah, get some spare bulbs this time and put a wall up between those lights and plants ;)
I dont really see the need for the wall since there so far from each other on a 4x10,light drops off so much after a couple feet,Plus the cross lighting in that 1 foot of area in the middle will cancel each other out anyway.I have to run them in the same buckets to make it fair using the same system setup,So all the plants will be sitting in the same identical soup.Ill have a spare bulb from the other fixture.

B

Burned Haze

That setup is dope! You should be proud!
Specs on your ledif you mind me asking?

Keep it up and keep the posts coming :)

H

heisen

Got the cmh and wired it up to a raptor for the 4x5 footprint.wasnt that hard.
I have to say this light is bright as all get out.it does make a slight whine sound that's anoying.maybe it will go away.definitly gonna be interesting to see this go head to head with the cobs.

20180817 205035

20180817 205059

First coming on

20180817 205352

Nice footprint 2 feet out from hood

20180817 212143

H

heisen

I wish I had your funds I would have some fun too, I just love growin too ,I've always grown with big bulbs just started with led I really like what I see if I use big bulbs now it will be for Heat

cheers man good grows you have rocking ther
Just looking at this cmh and using a lux app it's a beast.i think its gonna beat the cobs in all seriousness.taking the lux meter around the footprint of a 4x5 I'm getting 30k all the way around and 40k on the short sides.middlles 90k at 26 inches.thats pretty damn intense.
Cobs are 32k all the way around and directly under each cob is 56 to 60k.
Its gonna be a close match.
Im.pretty sure 3 315s would be better but I wasnt gonna spend 900 on 3 315 setups when I can build a 4x5 cob setup for 100 dollars more and use less wattage.
The whole purpose here is cost and efficiency vs dry weight.
Wat for watt the cobs would beat the cmh hands down as in my last comparison.
We will see how this goes but my money is on the cmh

413MedGrower

I'm just gonna take a seat over here in corner, this looks very interesting. I too want to try my hand at diy cob soon. This should be cool to see what happens.

H

heisen

building the RDWC system on sunday and will be starting monday with Day 1,I still have to build the cobs,All the parts will be here tomorrow so ill have alot to do in 1 day.Im debating on putting a divider between the two sets of lights.Will see how it works out.I guess i could hang something from the ceiling and let it go down to scrog.Plants are ready to be flipped for sure,6 GG4 and 6 Wedding cake
pretty good for 17 days of growth since the first pic was taken.
20180824 0045451

H

heisen

People still talking about grams per watt in 2018.if it takes you 6 weeks to veg and 8 weeks to flower to get .8 grams per watt but someone else using the same wattage and vegged for 3 weeks and got the same GPW than your GPW means absolutely nothing.

I will calculate the exact grams per kilowatt hour and compare the results from both lights.
I pay .11 cents per watt here so I'll compare the results of them both.
Cobs will use 9.6 kilowatt hours per day and the cmh will use 14.4 kilowatt hours per day according to the 1200 watt draw from the wall per nanolux

Top Bottom