1000w Gavita De Vs 2 600w Solistek Hps?

• Thread starter Pimp T
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pimp T

Pimp T

Hey guys having trouble making a decision. Im about to use a 2ft x 4ft x 12in tall coco bed with 10-15 cuts. Im not sure if I should use 2 600w SolisTek HPS with 2 19inx14in adjust a wing hoods or 1 Gavita 1000w DE. I also have a SolisTek 1000w DE Ballast and A 19inx14in DE Adjust A Wing Hood just need the 1000w SolisTek DE HPS Bulb to go with it. Anybody with experience care to add anything? Trying to squeeze the best yield and coverage I can from it. May be a mono crop of cookies gg4 or hellsog.

germinator

germinator

IMHO.....Two light sources always better than one, pushed closer to canopy, extra 200 watts. My vote is for the two 600s. I go back n forth from 1..600 in the summer, to 2....600s in the winter. If one light dies your still in bidness..Also affords me better control over enviro being dimmable.

Pimp T

Pimp T

Yeah thats what I was thinkin @germinator. 1 gavita de is rated 2100 umol per sq ft. where each solistek 600 bulb is rated at 1150umol per sqft. Thanks for your input man I appreciate it.

organix4207

organix4207

I'm at that same crossroad right now @Pimp T
Love that 600 watt solistek and silverstar 8" sealed hood. I also picked up solistek m/h and super hps bulbs.
My space is 10' × 6' × 6'5" and is begging for another 600 !!

Pimp T

Pimp T

yeah man debating because the ballast i have can also be used with 2 600w DE bulbs and a Solistek Splitter. But I like how gavita is a all in one unit. @organix4207

organix4207

organix4207

I'd go with solistek myself , I've never tried gavitas though so ???
Don't the gavitas have to be kept 4' from canopy ?

organix4207

organix4207

I personally would stick to 600 watt ballast running 600 watt bulbs. The spectrum of the bulb can be negatively affected if under powered . A 1000 watt ballast split in half isn't 1200 watts !!

Pimp T

Pimp T

Funny you say that thats exactly what happens. I used a splitter with it last round. they kept goin out but will last long enough for what I need. @sixstring

Yeah I think its 4 feet away with gavitas but ceiling height and temps isnt a factor. Just coverage and max yield on this one. Probably gonna go with the 2 600s though. Unless somebody has something convincing to share with 2 600s vs 1 1000w DE. With the 1000w solis ballast and splitter u turn it up to solis boost 1150w to use um. But I def get your point about spectrum not being what it should with lower watts@organix4207

Waiting for solistek to email me back with their thoughts on it.

sedate

sedate

Unless somebody has something convincing to share with 2 600s vs 1 1000w DE. With the 1000w solis ballast and splitter u turn it up to solis boost 1150w to use um. But I def get your point about spectrum not being what it should with lower watts

1) 2x600w FO SURE

I just spent like 20 minutes typing out a better explanation - here -

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...-try-or-switch-to-gavitas.78639/#post-1615643

2) Lowering wattage will lower the color temperature (kelvin rating) of HPS bulbs - but typically by no more than 10 or 15% while keeping the bulb lit - this should be a tertiary consideration - focus on good light coverage.

sixstring

sixstring

i dont wanna look this up, tertiary ...so what ? lol
was just talkin to solistec guy at show and he said better to dim a 1000 than to over drive a 600 spectrum wise.but we were both high and his explaination went right over my head ahaha

sedate

sedate

i dont wanna look this up, tertiary ...so what ? lol
was just talkin to solistec guy at show and he said better to dim a 1000 than to over drive a 600 spectrum wise.but we were both high and his explaination went right over my head ahaha

Meh. I doubt it. A solistek HPS is rated at 2100K - dropping the wattage should drop the K rating down to 1700 - 1800K - certainly less ideal since the loss will be in the upper-blue bands feeding both chorophyll types.. but not really that important against most other environmental concerns.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Solis Tek is notorious for fluffing their specs. I willl take a single Gavita over 100 of them any day. But since we are plaing this game, you would do yourself years of justice and save thousands on your electric by getting 2 Gavita 750 Flex units rather that dick around with 2 Solis Tek nightlights. I have both and there is absolutely no comparison.

boshuter

boshuter

I've been looking for a couple of 600w ballasts myself and have done a LOT of reading, other than the one post above, I can't find anyone saying anything bad about the Solis Tek ballasts. I'm currently still running 2 400w CMH bulbs in magnetic ballasts and it's really not getting the job done. 2 600's will do a much better job for my space. The ST ballasts will also allow me to upgrade to 600w DE if I decide to go that route.
On the issue of dimming, I considered buying 2 ST 1000w ballasts and running 600w lamps on the 600w setting. Since I wasn't sure if this was a good idea, I emailed ST and this is the repy I got (just got this today)

That's a great question!

We believe in letting the customers know the pros and cons of dimming as they are there for luxury and convenience but not true efficiency. In this case dimming down a 1000w lamp to600w/400w would be more efficient choice as the lamp would be driven by the same output voltage even though it is being under driven by wattage. While you may operate a 600w lamp on the 1000w ballast on the 600w setting, the voltage differences would play more of a role in accelerated degradation as compared to wattage differences.

Here's why:
All 1000w lamps/ballasts were created with a operational voltage of 250v to the lamp (this is the output power from the ballast, not input power). 600w/400w lamps/ballasts were designed with an operation voltage of 125v to the lamp. When a 1000w ballast is changed to the 600w or 400w setting it does not step down the operational lamp voltage, this goes across the board for all ballasts and lamps as that's how they were designed.

If you are using our ballast and lamp you can dim the lamp down without sacrificing any spectralshift, unfortunately we cannot guarantee that with any other combination but our own. This is due to our lamps (pulse start) and ballasts being tuned for the same operating frequency thus resulting in higher efficiency, performance, and longevity.
Hope this helps answer your question!
SolisTek Staff

I think I'm just going to get 2 600w ballasts and be able to upgrade to DE if I decide to go that route.

DapperDon

DapperDon

The whole thing that has blown over your head is that you are missing the critical part of the whole thing. DE Full spectrum lamps have the same full spectrum when they are dialed down and when they are on overdrive. SE lamps lose almost everything when you dial them down. Solis Tek has made bullshit claim after bullshit claim and I have no problem calling them out on it.
You say you cannot find anyone that has ever had a bad grow with Solis Tek. I challenge you to find any of the successful and COMPLETE grows using Solis Tek. But I am not here to tell you what to do, after all it is your gear, your grow, and your money. You seem to be stuck in the past with your choice in lighting tech and your grow will reflect that.
If Solis Tek was nearly as awesome as they claim, then almost every single commercial grow out there would be sporting them. But they don't because they don't compare to next gen lighting. And even there, they are scrambling to get a piece of that marketshare and failing. Pulse start my ass! Look to the leaders in the industry and you will see quite clearly that the marketing hype of Solis Tek is for those that are just getting into growing. They still have a YOOGE stockpile of their bullshit individual spectrum lamps that they are trying to unload to on unsuspecting suckers. But again, it's your money and your grow. Best of luck. I'm out.

Smokey Dope

Smokey Dope

I was using two 600's each with air cooled 20x16 reflector
Those are good and work well but then i found out about the new LEC lights.
The guys at the hydro store had great success and sold me on the LEC 315.
They also sell a LEC 615. Both use the new LEC, Light Emiting Ceramic phillips bulb.
They run pretty cool and dont need aircooling. They are reaally close to a 600 HPS running less watts and of course amps.
I had awesome growth you could see right away!
Im running my Flower room, a 5 x 7 x 8' tall with two LEC 315's and one 600 HPS dialed down to 75%
Until next time happy farming

dennis001

dennis001

Hi, everyone, this is dennis000, I have been banned for half year because I told you too much truth, but I still want to tell you more. Maybe you will not see me again soon......
QQ20160319233844

This is the spectrum of Philips 1000w DE

QQ20160319233910

This is the spectrum of Genesis 1000w DE, seems contain a little more blue light and red light than Philips'
But IR at 760nm also a little more, that's not a matter.

QQ20160319233933

This is the spectrum of most cheap price DE on ebay, contain too much IR which will cause too much heat,
may hurt the plants, leaves curling, even dead. And the PPF of such DE only 1860umol/s

QQ20160319233953

Then we know, solistek is a liar.......

P

Pimples

Meh. I doubt it. A solistek HPS is rated at 2100K - dropping the wattage should drop the K rating down to 1700 - 1800K - certainly less ideal since the loss will be in the upper-blue bands feeding both chorophyll types.. but not really that important against most other environmental concerns.
Yep. Dimming a digital ballast down or using a 1000 watt splitter for 2 sixers..first spectrum to go is what little blue band is in the hps to begin with. The cool blues are also the first to go in old hps bulbs that have too many crops under them.

Top Bottom