115v To 240v On An Air Conditioner

• Thread starter aquashield
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

aquashield

Hello I’ve setup a sealed room and I’m in need of an air conditioning unit. I’m from the UK and we run 240v here. There’s lots of cheap window units on eBay that ship from America but I don’t know if there will be problems converting the voltage from 115v to 240v. Is this feasible or should I just bite the bullet and buy an expensive one from the UK?

A

aquashield

Also has anyone used a mini split indoors like the manufacture of this system does in the video below?

Dan789

Dan789

My thoughts speaking as someone with electrical experience, don’t “Tim Taylor” a 120 volt A/C unit. That’s a recipe for failure...

Dbear180

Dbear180

Hello I’ve setup a sealed room and I’m in need of an air conditioning unit. I’m from the UK and we run 240v here. There’s lots of cheap window units on eBay that ship from America but I don’t know if there will be problems converting the voltage from 115v to 240v. Is this feasible or should I just bite the bullet and buy an expensive one from the UK?

Buy a mini split in the UK they seal better than window units. Shipping from here will be kinda high I would imagine. Idk why you have the idea it's cheaper to get them here because we also use 240 to cut the amp draw. 110 is just for small (usually cheap junk) window units.

I run a 30k btu window unit & its 240. I'm downsizing that spot to a 12k btu mitsubishi mini split but it will still be powered by 240 to keep the amps low.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Anything 18k or above here is usually 240 (window units) unless you want something smaller. If you have the funds for a mini split its a no brainer. Get the split. How many lights? Usually you want at least a 24k for a room but this is also my experience from Texas where summers could get up to 42c or higher sometimes so your requirements might be a lot different.

The big thing with minis is dehuy mode and auto restart on power loss. Just worlds better and usually inverted and higher seer.

A

aquashield

Thanks for the replies I only need something small and I was thinking of using a window unit because I’ve seen guides on building boxes around them as I can’t have it hanging out the window. I’m only cooling 3 amare uvb 500s. I haven’t seen anything on building boxes around the splits so the outdoor unit can be places indoors. Apart from that video above.

A

aquashield

I’ll get a split if there’s a proven way of cooling and putting the outdoor unit indoor. Can a box be built around it with its own intake and outake?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
No not really. You could possible do it but I prob wouldnt. Having a minisplit on the side of the house is no big deal as long as you don't have 4 hanging outside on a wall next to a central AC unit lol.

Boxing a window A/C works fine. One thing to consider tho with a window unit vs a mini is smell. Windows will leak smell so if that is a concern then you will need to carbon filter that also or go with a mini. Specially the runoff from them.

A

aquashield

I’m in the UK I live on a housing estate with around 150 houses on. Haven’t seen one house with a AC or it would be a no brainer using the mini split.

No not really. You could possible do it but I prob wouldnt. Having a minisplit on the side of the house is no big deal as long as you don't have 4 hanging outside on a wall next to a central AC unit lol.

Boxing a window A/C works fine. One thing to consider tho with a window unit vs a mini is smell. Windows will leak smell so if that is a concern then you will need to carbon filter that also or go with a mini. Specially the runoff from them.

Top Bottom