1980's Colombian Gold.....

• Thread starter Test Master
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Test Master

So Im starting this thread a little early.... Since I dont have the actual beans in hand, as of yet... but I should be getting them in a matter of days.

I found them through a friend of a friend. An older guy in his 60's, that for some reason decided to hang on to a bunch of seeds that he collected from bag seed that he found in his Colombian Gold from back in the days.

He's had them stored in a glass jar, in a back bedroom that he's been using for storage for the past 20 years. He told me about them a couple years ago, but I turned them down, since I was all consumed with the big commercial breeders at the time, like a dumb a$$.

I was at a little family gathering kinda thing last week and his grandson was there. So I asked him to put me in contact with his dad. I got a hold of him and he's in the process of digging these seeds out of his back room for me.

I know there super old... and may not sprout... but he said he has a big glass jar filled with them. At least a 100 beans, he tells me. I have to be able to get at least one of them to sprout.

So stay tuned.... I should be getting these within a week....

619ster

619ster

Got the space for 'em? Ain't it a landrace sativa? Gonna need lots of light and lots of headroom!

T

Test Master

Got the space for 'em? Ain't it a landrace sativa? Gonna need lots of light and lots of headroom!

Yes sir.... I have plenty of space and plenty of light... thats for sure. Im new to the site... but not new to growing.. dont let the Jr. Farmer title they stuck on me here fool ya. LoL.

I grew one about 5 years ago, that I didnt know at the time what it was. The sucker grew so large it took over the entire corner of my grow at the time. Since I knew nothing about landrace back then... I pulled out the bolt cutters and chopped the sucker down way before it was done, to get it out of my way.

I might even have some pictures of it. I'll have to really dig for those.

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

You can increase the germ rates by exposing old seeds to ethylene from Rotting fruit peels for several weeks.

Mohan Ram also believed it would Significantly increase the female to male ratio.

audius

audius

ohhh snaps. i hope ya find em cuz i wanna c. im a big fan of oldschool strains myself.

T

Test Master

I GOT EM!!! 30 year old Colombian Gold seeds..!!!

I met with the guy earlier today. He was an older mexican dude with long hair. He reminded me of Cheech and Chong... but hippie, instead of gangsterish..

I sat with him for about an hour as he reminisced and talked about the old school strains of his days. I was getting the chills as he talked about Colombian Gold. How he described it... it sounds like some awesome weed.

He told me that he tried to sprout some of these seeds a few times, but never had any luck and would just toss them back in the drawer he's had em in. I guess they were in a glass jar for a while, and recently he put them in a plastic medicine container.

So here I am with a bunch of 30 year old seeds. Does anyone here know of any tricks to get super old seeds to sprout??

IMAG0219

IMAG0220

G

gooey

they deff look old, gl with this, deff soak them maybe scar them with some sand paper, nothing else to offer...peace

619ster

619ster

12-24 hour soak in 50/50 H2O2 and water and your beans germination rate should surely increase. After the soak, do as you normally would. Hope they pop!

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I would try 2 pop 30-40 so u have a better shot of at least a few might pop..good luck

T

Test Master

I would try 2 pop 30-40 so u have a better shot of at least a few might pop..good luck

Yeah... but if I plant 30-40 of em and 20 of em actually sprout.. then I dont have the room for them. So Im just gonna do it in batches of 5. Then if none sprout in the batch of 5, then I'll try 10 more. If none of those 10 sprout, then I'll plant em all.

So Im gonna do it a little at a time, just in case, so Im not stuck with too many plants that I dont have room for. It'll take longer... but Im in no hurry.

Dunge

Dunge

Just read yesterday on another thread, that ethylene (from rotting fruit skins) can help germination. Don't have any way of knowing if true, but it's plausible and easy to try.
Speaking for your readers, I encourage you to get started test master.

B

Betty Bong

I am taking a front row seat for this one, love the gold stuff!
seeds this old need a lil help most of the time though keep that in mind

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Yeah Man! Im 52, so I remember Colombian Gold. Great stuff!

Im subbed and Hopping a few of those beans still have life in em for ya!

waayne

waayne

Test Master
A few years ago I germinated some Purple Michoacan seeds that were collected in 1978 or 79
I germinated them in damp paper towels and used bottom heat and was able to get about 14 sprouted and growing
I had about 900 of these seeds to start with so you may not get
good germination rates but you may still get lucky and get a few to pop..
some of mine would germinate but didn't have enough energy to
grow....

good luck!

Santa Marta Gold was definitely impressive herb for it's time!

johnursery

johnursery

i'm 62 and the last we had colombian was the late 70's

i have reproduced the 80's [smcg] sanamarta colombian gold in the last year

it was the only strain that didn't herm or give me all females

i did panama red,lambsbread,colombian red[long flower strain]

the col gold was manageable fairly dense for a mostly if not all sativa

and was more potent than ssh.

all the best on the germing

+1 gotta agree! the SMCG is where its at! im so happy to have these genes, the smoke is the best up motivational happy, yet still relaxed, no paranoi...its what's gunna be the backbone to my PTSD strain...good luck on your germination and remember these bitches get HUGE so save alota space for em

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Part of the reason the colombian gold was gold, was because it was cured in the sun.

T

Test Master

Just read yesterday on another thread, that ethylene (from rotting fruit skins) can help germination. Don't have any way of knowing if true, but it's plausible and easy to try.
Speaking for your readers, I encourage you to get started test master.

Your the second person that I heard the rotting fruit thing from. I'll give it a try and a small batch and see what happens.

As for getting started.. I was going to take this slow but since everyone is here and watching, I'll get moving on it. I'll start off with a batch of 5 in a wet paper towel and 5 in Root Riot plugs. I've had my best results in Root Riot plugs.

T

Test Master

I am taking a front row seat for this one, love the gold stuff!
seeds this old need a lil help most of the time though keep that in mind

Yeah... I have that in mind alright. I doubt 95% of them will sprout... but my fingers are crossed that I at least get a few of em going.

I usually have pretty good luck with getting seeds going.

Top Bottom