1980's Colombian Gold.....

• Thread starter Test Master
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OctoberDee

OctoberDee

This is a sure fire way to germinate tough to germ seeds:

http://youtu.be/dpKYEIt84qo

I put the sand paper inside a roll of pennies paper. That way its handy to reuse next time.
The timing on this method is critical. I only soak for 8 hours and then when I put the strainer wrapped with the face cloth under the slow dripping warm facuet I check after 24 hours and every couple of hours after that. You dont want them growing shoots as they can then be very delicate and easy to damage planting.

...this was from another thread about seeds not germinating... the video is pretty cool, kind of an elongated process but the results could be good....
:passingjoint:

T

Test Master

Yeah Man! Im 52, so I remember Colombian Gold. Great stuff!

Im subbed and Hopping a few of those beans still have life in em for ya!

Thanks bro. Im hoping a few of these pop as well. I have a bunch of older patients that I serve that are hoping the same thing too.

Im in my early 30's... so CG was before my time... Hopefully I'll be able to bring the past back to life.

T

Test Master

Do you have any pictures posted of the SanaMarta CG..?? I'd like to check em out.

i'm 62 and the last we had colombian was the late 70's

i have reproduced the 80's [smcg] sanamarta colombian gold in the last year

it was the only strain that didn't herm or give me all females

i did panama red,lambsbread,colombian red[long flower strain]

the col gold was manageable fairly dense for a mostly if not all sativa

and was more potent than ssh.

all the best on the germing

phenotyper

phenotyper

Try soaking the beans in a light seaweed and fulvic solution, instead of just water. This should give them some life. Right around 100ppms total in your soak solution should be great.

W

westsydeclyde

The good thing is there are alot! Not just for luck but one seed, by itself, will dry relatively quickly, hopefully the bulk retained the internal moisture. I had some seeds, at the time were 20 years old, there were about 30... every one I planted popped. At the time I had no clue as how to grow and only brought 3 small plants to flower... all identical, all surprisingly really frosty yielded a massive ⅛ each.. lol.
Good luck I know you'll get some to pop... ;)

T

Test Master

Test Master
A few years ago I germinated some Purple Michoacan seeds that were collected in 1978 or 79
I germinated them in damp paper towels and used bottom heat and was able to get about 14 sprouted and growing
I had about 900 of these seeds to start with so you may not get
good germination rates but you may still get lucky and get a few to pop..
some of mine would germinate but didn't have enough energy to
grow....

good luck!

Santa Marta Gold was definitely impressive herb for it's time!

So out of 900 seeds... you only got 14 to sprout?? Damn.. that sucks. Well.. at least some sprouted. Did you find anything good in the 14??

T

Test Master

+1 gotta agree! the SMCG is where its at! im so happy to have these genes, the smoke is the best up motivational happy, yet still relaxed, no paranoi...its what's gunna be the backbone to my PTSD strain...good luck on your germination and remember these bitches get HUGE so save alota space for em

Hey Johnursery... do you have any pics up that I could check out?? Just curious what she looks like.

T

Test Master

Part of the reason the colombian gold was gold, was because it was cured in the sun.

This is just my opinion... but I think the gold color comes from girdling the plants and leaving them to die on the stem, without cutting them down. I think most weed back in those days was sun dried.

I've turned weed a gold color in hydroponics, from depriving it of water and nutrients.

T

Test Master

when i was down there in the 70's i also heard it was because of

Lady Clairol in big pits

then there is the girdling technique

I heard the girdling thing too..

...this was from another thread about seeds not germinating... the video is pretty cool, kind of an elongated process but the results could be good....
:passingjoint:

That link looks a little sketchy... I'll have to check it out from another computer. Thanks bro!!

Good luck man, hoping to see some CG flowers in a few months.

Me too Cheech... me too... my fingers are crossed tightly..

Try soaking the beans in a light seaweed and fulvic solution, instead of just water. This should give them some life. Right around 100ppms total in your soak solution should be great.

Fulvic..?? What type of Fulvic acid?? Just straight fulvic acid... or something else that has diluted fulvic in it??

here's a good research report on the use of hormones to increase seed germ:http://www.jofamericanscience.org/journals/am-sci/0505/10_0901_growth_hormones_am0505.pdf

Sweet... Im going to check this out for sure. Thanks Jammie!!

The good thing is there are alot! Not just for luck but one seed, by itself, will dry relatively quickly, hopefully the bulk retained the internal moisture. I had some seeds, at the time were 20 years old, there were about 30... every one I planted popped. At the time I had no clue as how to grow and only brought 3 small plants to flower... all identical, all surprisingly really frosty yielded a massive ⅛ each.. lol.
Good luck I know you'll get some to pop... ;)

I hope I get lucky like that... I do have a lot of em.. and the guy I got them from still have more. He only gave me half of them.. So even if I get through all of these and none of them sprout, that I can always go back and ask for a little more.

heres a couple i put up a little while ago

Sweet bro.. on my way to check em out right now.

Dunge

Dunge

Tetrazolium may help

Tetrazolium provides a quick, but destructive test of viability.
The seed needs to be cut in half and soaked in a tetraxolium solution.
Inspection of the seed tissue will show pink in the areas where life still exists.
This will give an indication of how easily you can expect a full germination.
Inspection of a few seeds could tell if there was any hope.

A

A.Sherman

giberrelic acid

100ppm of a giberrelic acid solution would probably give the beset results. Also try cracking the seem with your teeth if they dont open in 48 hours.

W

westsydeclyde

Tetrazolium provides a quick, but destructive test of viability.
The seed needs to be cut in half and soaked in a tetraxolium solution.
Inspection of the seed tissue will show pink in the areas where life still exists.
This will give an indication of how easily you can expect a full germination.
Inspection of a few seeds could tell if there was any hope.
Or ruin the only viable seed;)
No disrespect intended, I just think a sprout is the best test:) again... all respect!

MARTA

MARTA

100ppm of a giberrelic acid solution would probably give the beset results. Also try cracking the seem with your teeth if they dont open in 48 hours.

^^^^I agree, this has worked for me in the past.^^^^

I'm glad to see you tryin' these out Test Master!

I'll be following along for sure. :hi

the rrock

the rrock

this is gonna be cool if you gget some to pop, keep postin tester

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
This is gonna be interesting for sure.

Tester; Do ten at a time dude!...lol

T

Test Master

Sorry guys... I have beans coming at me from all directions... So I might have to set this on the back burner... or maybe not.. Im not 100% sure yet....

I have a couple test runs coming up.. and one for sure that Im going to put in front of the line. I dont want to have too much going at the same time... I have more then enough room for em, but dont want any getting neglected.

I'll try 10 of em for sure... with just regular seed sprouting techniques. If all are a no go.. then I have some giberrelic acid coming in the mail, to do some fem reversals.. and will use the 100ppm of that suggested above to see if it helps any. But for sure I'll give 10 of em a shot in a day or so...

P

puntacometa

i'm 62 and the last we had colombian was the late 70's

i have reproduced the 80's [smcg] sanamarta colombian gold in the last year

it was the only strain that didn't herm or give me all females

i did panama red,lambsbread,colombian red[long flower strain]

the col gold was manageable fairly dense for a mostly if not all sativa

and was more potent than ssh.

all the best on the germing

:cool0010:

Here are some pics of a Santa Marta region strain that was grown from seeds that were harvested in 1974. I was running these OD last summer at around 6500' at aroud 37°L. The first pic in veg shows some interesting adaptations to climate and altitude. They were vegged in hot windy day time conditions (like very high winds some days that whipped them around to the point that it was like they were being brutally super cropped by mother nature) that turned to cold nights getting down into the 50's in July. Very high UV exposure here. Notice how they stacked and morphed into an almost indica looking structure. They flipped in July and actually finished in late September and survived temps down into the upper 30's F. The last two pics show cuts off the same plant (center plant in the pic) that were vegged indoors under lights and then flipped by moving them into a greenhouse under natural light on Jan 1.

Colombian
Colombian 1
Colombian1 2
Feb 4 2012 009
Feb 4 2012 010
Top Bottom