2 Bucket Dwc With Recirculating Pump Set-up

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

Hi everyone!!
Great forum!! Very helpful!!!
My first 1 bucket dwc hydro plant ended with root rot at about 8-9 weeks so I'm looking at making a 2 bucket recirculating dwc to minimize any potential damage.
2-5 gal blackout buckets; 1 res with pump to grow bucket over roots & 1 grow bucket with air stone with a 3/4" ID or 1" ID tube between them (2 valves in between)
My main concern is roots growth blocking tube...is this a problem?

DGP

DGP

It can be depending on the size of your return lines. I use 1" return lines on my top feed (veg) system and 2" returns on my undercurrent system. If your plants do really well you can get some congestion in the root bundles and plumbing but depends on things like plant health and veg time. In my UC system the buckets are full and roots are following the return plumbing but it isn't an issue cause the returns are 2" diameter.

Your root rot issues are probably more related to water temperature rather than recirculating but the moving of the water will help. You can also use H202 (I suggest food grade 33% diluted) to keep your water clean and somewhat sterilized. Now that you have a control bucket (reservoir) you can freeze pop bottles, milk jugs or something like that 3/4 full of water. Take a frozen 2 liter each morning and throw it in the bucket and each evening if needed based on temperature readings you take. Keep the reservoir bucket below 70F (prefer 68) and maybe not lower than 62 if you can. For a one bucket grow it wouldn't be worth it but if you ever go bigger a chiller may be a good investment if you plan to do deep water for a long time but it depends on your environment and whether you water temperatures are a problem or not.

Best of luck on your next cycle,

Dee

20180317 181734

420.hydro

420.hydro

It can be depending on the size of your return lines. I use 1" return lines on my top feed (veg) system and 2" returns on my undercurrent system. If your plants do really well you can get some congestion in the root bundles and plumbing but depends on things like plant health and veg time. In my UC system the buckets are full and roots are following the return plumbing but it isn't an issue cause the returns are 2" diameter.

Your root rot issues are probably more related to water temperature rather than recirculating but the moving of the water will help. You can also use H202 (I suggest food grade 33% diluted) to keep your water clean and somewhat sterilized. Now that you have a control bucket (reservoir) you can freeze pop bottles, milk jugs or something like that 3/4 full of water. Take a frozen 2 liter each morning and throw it in the bucket and each evening if needed based on temperature readings you take. Keep the reservoir bucket below 70F (prefer 68) and maybe not lower than 62 if you can. For a one bucket grow it wouldn't be worth it but if you ever go bigger a chiller may be a good investment if you plan to do deep water for a long time but it depends on your environment and whether you water temperatures are a problem or not.

Dee

View attachment 791953

Dee

View attachment 791953
Hey Dee!!
Thanks for the info...but you just went over my head so please excuse my ignorance while I caught up...under current vs top feed (which is what I call the set up I was "designing")

My setup will be for 1-2 plants per cycle...I'm going go do some research

Top Bottom