2 Buy Seeds Vs Produce Them

• Thread starter Sweetred
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sweetred

Sweetred

it's a big question but mine is more specific, I have a 3x3x6 tent a viparspectra 450 and a small t5 for younger growth, I can buy seeds where I'm at but is like 10 USD a bean.So now i have 1 male and 2 female gsc ox from rare dankness 10 days into 12/12 light schedule. Should i yank the male or make more seeds ?

Madmax

Madmax

I think seeds are worth buying from a reknown breeder,they sure make up for the price after you harvest...but yeah i agree make a heap of seeds..i want to produce my own from a couple great strains not to improve the strains only to acclimatise the plants so they grow better nxt yr outdoors

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It doesn’t have to. Flower it out in a separate section where it cannot pollinate the females. Once it begins to drop pollen, collect it and use it to selectively pollinate your females. Just pollinate a few buds on a plant when it’s between 3-4 weeks of flowering.

Check my grow diary for info on how to do it. I’ve got detailed instructions on how I selectively pollinate branches and isolate it until it’s ready to go back into the flowering chamber.

My grow diary is titled Chocolate Diesel & AK-47.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I think seeds are worth buying from a reknown breeder,they sure make up for the price after you harvest...but yeah i agree make a heap of seeds..i want to produce my own from a couple great strains not to improve the strains only to acclimatise the plants so they grow better nxt yr outdoors

That’ll take a while.

Madmax

Madmax

Id prolly do it at 2 weeks if its an indica..i reckon its around 6 weeks for seeds to mature..

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Id prolly do it at 2 weeks if its an indica..i reckon its around 6 weeks for seeds to mature..

Yeah it depends on strain. Some that finish quicker will need less time before pollination. The rule of thumb is 3-4 weeks. I always let the pollinated bud keep going after the rest of the plant is harvest so the seeds can fully mature. Usually just a week or two is needed and then you get fully ripe seeds with a fast finishing variety.

Sweetred

Sweetred

It doesn’t have to. Flower it out in a separate section where it cannot pollinate the females. Once it begins to drop pollen, collect it and use it to selectively pollinate your females. Just pollinate a few buds on a plant when it’s between 3-4 weeks of flowering.

Check my grow diary for info on how to do it. I’ve got detailed instructions on how I selectively pollinate branches and isolate it until it’s ready to go back into the flowering chamber.

My grow diary is titled Chocolate Diesel & AK-47.
im going to read the grow diary this puts a new wrinkle in ild love to grow one girl out while harvesting seeds from the other

Madmax

Madmax

Cool.the ones i got in now are 7-9 weeks..i have a young quick critical im going to put in a big pot,and ill move it when i spray the coldial silver then i want use the pollen also on one of the sunset sherbets branches..so ill have a x and more quick critical seeds..

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

a very good point. but i also dont want to be stuck with subpar weed for months while i anticipate my next grow, i mean is seeded weed really that bad? ty for all the help btw
Its a pita to get the seeds out... i filled near half an ounce bag with seeds took hours lol.and it all came from 6 ounces ..never doing that again lol..nxt time im going to bash the seeds out in a bath when dry ..

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh one more thing. Make sure to mark the branches you pollinate. I use twisty ties to mark em. That way you know which buds to deseed. The rest of the plant grows as it normally would.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Its a pita to get the seeds out... i filled near half an ounce bag with seeds took hours lol.and it all came from 6 ounces ..never doing that again lol..nxt time im going to bash the seeds out in a bath when dry ..

Yeah screw that. Unless it was a money making venture it’s not worth it.

Madmax

Madmax

Great tip...Going through your diary right now.uno i was going to put a bag completely over plant with the branch im spraying only exposed.so i dont get it everywhere .im unsure if i can smoke other branches .the colodial gets absorbed into the plant and im thinking the rest of plant would have traces of colodial through them..well thats what im thinking.im only guessing but id say you def cant smoke the branch sprayed...

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

When a breeder of a plant creates seeds, he or she hopefully is picking from many specimens, selecting the parent specimens with the desired traits. Strong stock crossed with strong stock hopefully creates strong seeds. The best breeding programs grow dozens or hundreds of parents to select the best stock from.

You, the OP, would be growing seeds where you have no idea whether the parents are strong/potent/high yielders/good tasters. They are just two random plants. You have no information to indicate that these plants are special, in any way. You'll get seeds, but you will have no idea of their worth. The odds are exceedingly good that they will be lower quality than the parents, and of lower quality than purchased seed. People use cuttings precisely because of this effect. Back in the day, we had to do this, because we had no other choice, and good results were rare. That's why we took cuttings from our gems and guarded them carefully.

I won't waste my growing time/efforts on unknown seed. I won't waste my time thinking my random mix will somehow be better than a breeder, who has stabilized lines, experience, and many potential parents to choose from. Ten bucks for a seed that will produce ounces or pounds of quality is pretty cheap.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
When a breeder of a plant creates seeds, he or she hopefully is picking from many specimens, selecting the parent specimens with the desired traits. Strong stock crossed with strong stock hopefully creates strong seeds. The best breeding programs grow dozens or hundreds of parents to select the best stock from.

You, the OP, would be growing seeds where you have no idea whether the parents are strong/potent/high yielders/good tasters. They are just two random plants. You have no information to indicate that these plants are special, in any way. You'll get seeds, but you will have no idea of their worth. The odds are exceedingly good that they will be lower quality than the parents, and of lower quality than purchased seed. People use cuttings precisely because of this effect. Back in the day, we had to do this, because we had no other choice, and good results were rare. That's why we took cuttings from our gems and guarded them carefully.

I won't waste my growing time/efforts on unknown seed. I won't waste my time thinking my random mix will somehow be better than a breeder, who has stabilized lines, experience, and many potential parents to choose from. Ten bucks for a seed that will produce ounces or pounds of quality is pretty cheap.

Of course ideally. But we aren’t talking about that. We are also not talking about breeding per say but pollen chucking and pheno hunting.

Sure there are some good breeders out there. There is also a lot of hacks who do nothing but reverse a plant and sell the seeds for $100-150/pack.

I wouldn’t say the odds are stacked against anyone chucking pollen. Some of the most elite strains on the market were accidents. But we can’t have these accidents if folks aren’t tossing pollen and growing them out.

We can sit here and discuss genetics and breeding all day long but this thread isn’t the right place for it.

It’s also not a great spot to put your soap box and preach.

We are all just trying to have some fun and there’s nothing wrong with that. We aren’t in it to make the next big seed company. And quite frankly over the years I’ve seen folks do just that with much less.

Some seem to think having an elite cut is reason enough to make seeds. I’d be willing to argue against that. And there’s just as good of a chance their seeds turn out to be garbage.

If your options are to either buy seeds or make your own and you aren’t doing it for commercial purposes then I see no harm in tossing some pollen and cracking some home made beans.

Top Bottom