2018 First Time Organic Garden. Humboldt, Ca.

• Thread starter SmokeyMcBowl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

other question I have for you guys. What’s the best containers for these as in terms of letting them hit there max yield. Here are my options that I have come up with. Please let me know which set up would produce more end product, easier to maintain, pros, cons, or Better design for a 6 plants

-6x 100 gal smart pots under a 30’x10’ hoop house.

-4x 200 gal smart pot under 30’x10’ hoop house

-4x 100 gal smart pot under 20’x10’ hoop and 5’x10’x2’ bed

@brazel @Ecompost @Organikz

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

Does this mean 1 plant per 100g smart pot and two plants in the bed?
Yep yep. I feel like this gives me two different grow pot styles to see what I liked better but once the bed is in I’m committed to that spot. If I use 100 gal pots on pallets I could move them if absolutely needed to.

brazel

brazel

Yep yep. I feel like this gives me two different grow pot styles to see what I liked better but once the bed is in I’m committed to that spot. If I use 100 gal pots on pallets I could move them if absolutely needed to.
Rad, I was hoping that was your plan! Do that! I prefer beds outside, you can plant so many things in the space between

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

Rad, I was hoping that was your plan! Do that! I prefer beds outside, you can plant so many things in the space between

Plant things in between? As in cover crops or can I do some of low hight veggies? That would cool to grow some low growing herbs to use for cooking as well!

brazel

brazel

Plant things in between? As in cover crops or can I do some of low hight veggies? That would cool to grow some low growing herbs to use for cooking as well!
Yeah man totally! Grow some food! Research companion plants. Whatever you're thinking about growing read up on it and see if it's requirements line up!

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

Yeah man totally! Grow some food! Research companion plants. Whatever you're thinking about growing read up on it and see if it's requirements line up!

Hell yeah I’ll look into it!

Cultivate420

Cultivate420

Is there any way to put them straight on the ground? the bigger the root mass the bigger the yield right? Or do you have a reason for the bags? This is will be my 3rd outdoor grow fully organic I just dump a dump truck of local cow shit let it cook over winter and throw them in usually after mothers day because of frost danger. this year my plants were much bigger and had some P and K deficiencies and my plants were attacked by pest even with my regular pest management. Now I know that healthy plants cannot be attacked by pest so I am reading this post to improve my organic gardening. For strains that grow nice outdoors, i would say master kush it also helps me sleep

Ecompost

Ecompost

no one is collecting guano around here except at the local grow shop. that is collected in large operations where the bat's safety or the workers for that matter isn't very important compared to the dollar...
I really think in a nation that imports 60% of its energy, that you have far more pressing concerns reference the growing of mj under lights, the use of wide scale insecticide for example, that hinder bats more widely, but point taken buddy :-) life and consumption is about aligning with people you trust

Ecompost

Ecompost

What would be better alternatives to guano? I love my bats that live here. They were here when I got here and getting a new bat box home very soon. (The thing they live behind now is ugly AF but I want my bats to stay so there getting a new home in the same spot once I’m done with the design) they help eat bugs in the summer and there just cool to have around. :)
agreed. I think people are getting carried away ref guano. I can use a single horse poop to fertilize an acre of land, perhaps people are over using all sorts of organic inputs and this is the fulcrum of guanos uncaring collection?

Ecompost

Ecompost

Is there any way to put them straight on the ground? the bigger the root mass the bigger the yield right? Or do you have a reason for the bags? This is will be my 3rd outdoor grow fully organic I just dump a dump truck of local cow shit let it cook over winter and throw them in usually after mothers day because of frost danger. this year my plants were much bigger and had some P and K deficiencies and my plants were attacked by pest even with my regular pest management. Now I know that healthy plants cannot be attacked by pest so I am reading this post to improve my organic gardening. For strains that grow nice outdoors, i would say master kush it also helps me sleep
Taproots Vs. Secondary roots. intact taproots make for an easier life when growing any plant that has this structure, so MJ too.
I am fairly certain that people are trying to live in a dream here. Many plants form an essential part of the soil food web, by offering a point of focus to insects for many reasons, not just food. What happens when we attract an insect to point A? Does type A insect come alone?
If people really knew how to keep plants healthy and prevent insect/ pest attack, then no one would ever have considered using a pesticide. It is unrealistic to present this message to people without telling people exactly how to keep a plant healthy. if those saying so are telling people this message from the likes of Elaine, then really she ought to tell people the truth and stop pushing her method from false advertising bases imo. I like her but she gets carried away trying to convince me her method is the answer to all my prayers. Frankly, we need food and so we must grow plants in ways that inevitably leads to large problems, eg monoculture practice, one at risk, all at risk.
Outside you have no chance of this healthy plant no bugs reality being true. There are plants, and there are bugs, this is balance, it has nothing to do with healthy plants. Healthy plants are made sick by virus carrying insects, as in the case of the cucumber beetle, it will find cucumbers, this is its preference, healthy, unhealthy no matter. yes they might attack the weak first, but we can be weak because of genetics, so whose fault is this and can you fix it with a compost tea or MBP??
Try using records to help you better understand the biggest times in the year where threats occur and install mechanical barriers where you have young plants that are vulnerable to pests, larger adult plants are typically more resilient but no plant is safe, it just depends on a much wider system of balance that is more often beyond our personal control :)

BTW, I really like you method, have you ever seen Ruth Stout?

Ecompost

Ecompost

why is it better, and is this better for Bats or plants or us or microbes or? what is the difference in ratio of biology between a basic soil with guano, and a basic soil with alfalfa? Would there be any conditions where you might knowingly select one over the other for the sake of introduction for reasons beyond the plant alone?, for example in generating a wider pool of enzymes specific to bio control or is it only plant growth?
Is Alfalfa food for other animals, so if we use, are we taking food from horses? Since we seem to be concerned in spots that suit us i mean? Are we protecting bats and horses or just bats?
Does alfalfa release VOC's do these VOCs bring in any insects or other say decaying based organisms and whats about these, do these things attract other things that then might harm our plant or themselves bring things that might?
what about production of it, can you assure us Alfalfa is pure?
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=24933

Last edited:
Ecompost

Ecompost

BTW, the plant purslane is great food for humans, shame these famrers dont understand what is value and what isnt, but i take access to malic acid seriously and so i eat common purslane myself, as have a wide range of humans over many years of history

Ecompost

Ecompost

I Wanted to use the poly for a high tunnel/hoop house to keep the fog and early fall rain off the budding plants. Last year I had rain towards the end of the season and I soaked my plants in full flower. I thought if I could build a hoop house, keep the poly on the top to the hips on the side I could roll up the extra material between the hip and the base board to let extra air flow during the summer months.

Something similar to this design
yes i use something similar, I have a screen for UV which we connect during higher periods of light and heat, I always use a cover to keep rainfall from my buds, I run lots of fans and whatnot to maintain good airflow where the wind isnt playing ball and I need to keep things covered, same as i would indoors in a tent.

Ecompost

Ecompost

other question I have for you guys. What’s the best containers for these as in terms of letting them hit there max yield. Here are my options that I have come up with. Please let me know which set up would produce more end product, easier to maintain, pros, cons, or Better design for a 6 plants

-6x 100 gal smart pots under a 30’x10’ hoop house.

-4x 200 gal smart pot under 30’x10’ hoop house

-4x 100 gal smart pot under 20’x10’ hoop and 5’x10’x2’ bed

@brazel @Ecompost @Organikz
learn how to water, understand how the poly tunnel changes the process of water loss and environmental balance Getting your watering sorted will give you what you need. set it up so its easy and standard, dont be swapping from pots to beds unless you want to experiment, learn one method. Stick to one pot size, easier to judge and saves time.
Better to lift the lid on the tunnel and not the sides imo but thats personal, may be the video series will explain it better than I can type, also a top drawing cover will allow you to introduce a sun screen for peak heat and UV

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

My ground has a shit ton of clay in it And didn’t feel like digging big ass holes. Also where I need to put them to keep them out of sight and for The Sun is technically a leach field for my septic system. Even though the leach pipe is 10 ft down I just don’t trust it. Lastly the reason I was going to go for pots rather than beds/holes is because if at last resort I can move them on pallets. I thought about putting one in the ground in a different spot to see how it does. Also I keep my eye out for some master Kush too, always a good smoke.

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

learn how to water, understand how the poly tunnel changes the process of water loss and environmental balance Getting your watering sorted will give you what you need. set it up so its easy and standard, dont be swapping from pots to beds unless you want to experiment, learn one method. Stick to one pot size, easier to judge and saves time.
Better to lift the lid on the tunnel and not the sides imo but thats personal, may be the video series will explain it better than I can type, also a top drawing cover will allow you to introduce a sun screen for peak heat and UV
As always thanks @Ecompost for all your info! I’m going to try and put super simple hoops over them. And see how they do. I can always take the poly off if it starts getting too hot in the summer and pull it back over for bad weather/fog. I’ll have to play with it to find out what’s best for my climate. I’ll make sure to ajust my water according as well.

Top Bottom