- 2018 Outdoor Grow - Introduction Into The “slug Wall”

• Thread starter Mr.jiujitsu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Slugs are highly susceptible to electrical current. And it turns out it doesn’t take much. I have refined it several times and this is what I suggest doing, although you can make this work in many different ways. It all depends on what your growing in for how you will set up your slug wall. You can take these principles and refine them so they work for you. I have a very simple version I will give, but there are more complex variations I can give examples of. For this example; I have a number of 50gal plastic drums that I have saved and these are what I will use as my example. You could do the same with a bucket or even build one on a raised bed design. And ways I take the plastic drum and I cut the top off. I then go down about 4-6 inches and I cut around the drum. So the top 4-6 inches is removed, in a perfect ring. This ring can be place over a plant so it sits on the ground with the plant or container sits inside. I mentioned electrical current, well don’t worry this is safe. It’s low low low current and doesn’t poise any health risks to humans or pets unless you have a pet slug. Around the outside of the ring cut from the drum , about half way up I run automotive double stick panel applicator tape. The stuff holds up well. I then take two long strands of uninsulated copper wire and run them next to each other around the ring on the double sided tape, leavening 1/8-1/4 inch between the wires. You need to leave about 6 inches of wire hanging off each end of each wire. I attached the top wire and leave a 4” lead and do the same with the bottom. I then take a 9v battery and attach the top wire to the positive and the bottom wire to the negative. When the slugs start to cross the second wire, still touching the first they get electrocuted. The resin his works so well is once it dries, it’s slimy body changes and it no longer works as a conductor, so the battery stops discharging and can work on the next slug that tries to pass.

That’s the simplest way I can lay it down with out drawings. The more advanced “gorilla grow” version I have takes the cheap night time path lights, and you just open it up, hook the feed to the led to your “slug wall” and then it will not only keep the battery charged all season, but t will also only come on at night- slugs are nocturnal after all.

Let me know if you have questions, and I’ll try and upload some photos. My experience includes setting up a fish tank last year and test this along with several other “wives tales” to see what worked.
Cedar chips and salt. I mixed sawdust with salt to it worked good.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Oh ok see I’m thinking of going 25g in my garden only doing the 6 but ik ima have to train the hell out of them because i don’t want them getting extremely tall height max like 8’

I live in the far north east. Our weather and growing season are very different. I have seen what people do in Cali, and it makes me so jealous!!

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Cedar chips and salt. I mixed sawdust with salt to it worked good.

I tested half a dozen wives tales and this is one I didn’t test. With the rain we get the salt would disappear so fast.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I tested half a dozen wives tales and this is one I didn’t test. With the rain we get the salt would disappear so fast.
They got to plow through the sawdust, put a layer of salt on the dust then a small layer on top of the salt. The sawdust layer on top sheds the water but the slug burrows through the top layer and gets a belly full of rock salt.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

They got to plow through the sawdust, put a layer of salt on the dust then a small layer on top of the salt. The sawdust layer on top sheds the water but the slug burrows through the top layer and gets a belly full of rock salt.

I’m going to def try it. Maybe around the male patch when they show signs

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

You have anything outside yet?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I’m going to def try it. Maybe around the male patch when they show signs
Grandma showed me that cure. She used to give us table salt shakers and set us loose around her garden. She disliked slugs.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You have anything outside yet?
Yes, in pots. Waiting for soil results. Before I plant in ground.
39BE4202 7E65 440C B8AE 85B0E1912971

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Yes, in pots. Waiting for soil results. Before I plant in ground.View attachment 803778

For real look at those! Those are amazing. Maybe next year I’ll be on point enough to put out monsters like those!? How tall are they going out? How big are they at finish? Ave yield per? And strain? Sorry but damn I can’t wait to see those grow

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
For real look at those! Those are amazing. Maybe next year I’ll be on point enough to put out monsters like those!? How tall are they going out? How big are they at finish? Ave yield per? And strain? Sorry but damn I can’t wait to see those grow
Tallest 6 foot, finish? We will see, 4 different strains, we will see. Strains
Obamba, pine tar kush, Betty white, black Betty

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Off to a good start. Everything is acclimating well. Day 1 and 2 outside for these plants. More to come but out of supplies and I’m already being burnt at both ends. Gave their first feeding of real nutrients today. I found around 1 and 2 nose growth in 24hrs. It’s what I expected, and means retraining these every other day at least. I really want some seriously wide bushes this year, and have never trained so aggressively. I have had two main stalks tear/rips so far. Not good. Overall I am not super happy with my start. I failed to have my nutrients lined up ahead of time, and I started late two years in a row.
C5200A1C 4697 4179 A6E3 4311A8A181AF

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Here’s an example of what happens when you are too aggressive .... bound to happen, but I was testing the limits.

33FB867E C59E 4740 82F8 10FB70A27D83

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Don’t do that! Get some girth first.

This Jamaican strain is just much less flexible than my others. I have always waited till later and lightly trained. This year I said I was going to be aggressive early. Having fun and pushing a few selected plants.

patchgrower

patchgrower

yeah i like the idea of training . i did it on some of my inside girls and it worked really well , so i' m going to be doing the same outside.i will be laying one over in a 4 ft long and narrow pot and growing it horizontally . just putting the plant in the middle and pulling the top toward one end and the lower branches stretching in the other direction. hopefully it'll be like a hedge.i started this plant early and is already quite large and is trained in the right ways already.all my other outdoor plants are getting ready to put in as well ,beds are made and pots are filled.here we go again! i got hasty with one too and broke the top off. different strains do not bend as well as others.doesn't matter as they still grow fine .amazingly resiliant plant. good luck with your grow ,it looks like a great start.i wish i had a place where i could just sit them out like that but got to be a little more stealth here.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

yeah i like the idea of training . i did it on some of my inside girls and it worked really well , so i' m going to be doing the same outside.i will be laying one over in a 4 ft long and narrow pot and growing it horizontally . just putting the plant in the middle and pulling the top toward one end and the lower branches stretching in the other direction. hopefully it'll be like a hedge.i started this plant early and is already quite large and is trained in the right ways already.all my other outdoor plants are getting ready to put in as well ,beds are made and pots are filled.here we go again! i got hasty with one too and broke the top off. different strains do not bend as well as others.doesn't matter as they still grow fine .amazingly resiliant plant. good luck with your grow ,it looks like a great start.i wish i had a place where i could just sit them out like that but got to be a little more stealth here.

I’ll be doing large beds next year. Few rows of raised mound system I think, with some early finish strain. I would love to see some photos, let’s see your over trained plants, or those we have damaged along the way hahahaha

patchgrower

patchgrower

i think i have some this is a hog plant.
and some pics of current indoor grow the first one is dark angel which is mostly sativa and smells amazing,cant wait to try. second one is king tut.third one is hog. then just a room shot [sorry for the lights]. then a couple of shaky bud shots.the last one is hog -the one laid over. i'll try to get some better pics today as these were taken about a week ago

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Managed to get some more outside today. Seeing good growth and daily training. I know it doesn’t look like much now, but come fall it will be a field of green. Only wish I did more .....

29E3A9B8 F1D2 402C 8C4E 8B19D1A5B14A

Latest posts

Top Bottom