24x24 Uninsulated Garage In New England Build Out?

• Thread starter ChickenDicks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

Ive recently bought a new place up in Maine and have a 24x24x11.5 garage clean slate to build out, I plan on building 1x 10x20 insulated room for now with 6x or 8x 1000w DE's, 48k mini split and modify an ebb n flow system i have for top feed drain to waste. Any tips or input on building a sealed room within a garage would be greatly appreciated. How does one dtw in the frigid cold of Maine winters? will I need to add an aquarium heater to my feed reservoir to keep it from freezing in the uninsulated garage? Ive never ran a top feed dtw, what kind of pump and feeding system should I look at using? I will probably use either perlite or hydroton for the medium, i thought abput coco too but ive had bad experiences with coco in recirc setups and ph. Maybe it will be much simpler in a dtw scenario. which one would be better for a top feed dtw like this? Eventually I'll add in a c02 burner once I get the room dialed in for 1 or 2 cycles. We have a buried propane tank out here so I'll get it plumbed straight to that.

sixstring

sixstring

first thing i would do is fully insulate the building.i just found a new guy to do my 24 x 32 x 10 for 3ooo bucks blown in so air tight.

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

Is it spray foam? If it's blown in then I imagine you had to sheet rock the whole garage? The cost of insulating and hanging drywall is pretty high when the cost of just insulating the room inside the garage is a fraction of that.

sixstring

sixstring

yes spray foam.but you only need to hang the ceiling drywall then they spay the attic and walls and you hang the wall drywall last

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

All the quotes to spray foam my garage are between 7-10K at this point in time it's not an option to dump that money into a whole garage insulation when can insulate rooms within the garage myself for pennies.

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

The other problem is that if I do a permanent modification like that to the garage i will need to.pull permits and get it inspected. Not really interested in having the town inspector come out to my place

sixstring

sixstring

if you cant get away with insulating the whole thing how will you get away with insulating half of it then building out walls?

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

I will frame out the walls within the garage and seal then insulate the rooms only.

fatawa

fatawa

R13 insulation(studs that r 2Ă—4) is 10.99 per 40'sq ft roll.or r17 for 2Ă—6 studs,u can also cram it n a 2Ă—4 cavity...no need to drywall just buy panda film for walls.n there shud b a conversion for yur mini to b a heater as well.the cold weather actually helps u run those 8k lighting.shud only need heaters on lights out.

fatawa

fatawa

If yur splitting it into 2rms id insulte the fake wall too,so u can hav differnt temps/humidity n each rm depending on yur needs.

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

I'll have studded up walls withing the garage so do I skin the outside of the walls with plywood or something? Or do I just free hang the roll insulation within the studs, panda film the interior and the exterior of the walls is open with insulation exposed?

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

They will be identical flowering 20x10 insulated rooms but I'm only building one now since I do not have the money for equipment on the second room.

Poor dirt

Poor dirt

Yeah might wanna insulate .... chasing temp sucks... the idea with spray foam and panda is the way to go ... I'm pretty sure u can rent the insulation sprayers from lowes and Home Depot.. this is what I have been told so I'm not 100% but might be worth looking into and im not sure about you my mini splits were rated to only pull heat untill like 30 degrees or something but I have found if it starts getting cold run them continuous instead of on start/stop and just have a fan on a thermo kicking on to to dissipate heat control your temp that way the split will work longer through the winter that way... I'm not Maine but not far either I know how the winters are bro .. best of luck

ChickenDicks

ChickenDicks

I'm looking at a pair of 36k units right now.
INVERTER HEATING AND COOLING (UP TO -22F)
sgtb-heat-pump-mini-split.gif
proud offer one of the most advanced heating and cooling systems in the world. Our Ultra-Inverter Technology, allows our mini split systems to provide cooling and heating at up to -22F, with up to 75% efficiency, which means you won't experience any additional cost overages on your energy as temperatures go lower.

Is this wishful thinking in that I will be able to cool 8k DE's in a 10x20 room when the outside temp is 20 degrees?

I do plan on insulating. I will frame up my walls of the room within the garage and insulate/seal the room itself not the whole garage.

Poor dirt

Poor dirt

I wish I had the BTU's of the units I had but I have moved since then , I think they would do the trick tho as far as the cooling aspect goes I owned a old farm house with no duct work up stairs so I put a split in my kids room and one in ours I would leave the doors open and sync the temps .. kept the whole up stairs warm/cool. Only down fall would be if you decided to use co2 I don't know how you would control the temps with out sucking out the co2? Might wanna look into a couple of the window ac units the portable ones that almost look like a mini fridge can't think of the name , my buddy has 2 of them in his 10x10 tent running 5200w of hps , he is just pulling the air from the basement and sending it in the tent so no window needed just fit the intake tube out of your room it'll work ! But then you can't heat with them and electric heaters freak me out , remember the 3 ways you'll get caught feds,friends, and fires... I think you are Good to go now in Maine correct ? Either way bro you got it it's just much easier to insulate the whole garage wile you don't have anything set up .. post pics man when your done with it all weed love to see it !

Latest posts

Top Bottom