2nd Grow: Fastbuds' Girl Scout Cookies!

• Thread starter FrankieCoste
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Do your "defoliate" ?
Hey Hakman, thanks for passing by!
If by 'defoliate' you mean cutting off lower fan leaves, then yes, I do defoliate. I do so because many of the lower fan leaves become yellow after a little while and some start dying (I think it is caused by not receiving enough light). I was also told, and read, that cutting off leaves can increase yield as the plant would put more energy on fattening those buds. Also, I've cut a few of the very airy lower buds. I think this is a controversial topic as I've heard and read both positive and negative things about cutting leaves off. I did the same with Grapefruit and she seemed not to mind it at all, quite the opposite actually!
What's your view on this man?
Peace,

H

hawkman

Hey Hakman, thanks for passing by!
If by 'defoliate' you mean cutting off lower fan leaves, then yes, I do defoliate. I do so because many of the lower fan leaves become yellow after a little while and some start dying (I think it is caused by not receiving enough light). I was also told, and read, that cutting off leaves can increase yield as the plant would put more energy on fattening those buds. Also, I've cut a few of the very airy lower buds. I think this is a controversial topic as I've heard and read both positive and negative things about cutting leaves off. I did the same with Grapefruit and she seemed not to mind it at all, quite the opposite actually!
What's your view on this man?
Peace,
what a topic "Defoliation" !!!! what you are doing is great, many say do nothing to auto's but one has to remover some fan leaves for better light to buds ; but for regular" grows (4 months) do a heavy defoliation in week 4 of veg and week 4 in flower stage. other than that remove few as possible ,never remove the sugar leaves. Each one has their own way , after a while one knows when or not when to remove leaves . sound like you have found that spot . Defoliation helps bud development : stands to reason More Light = Bigger Buds !!!!

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

what a topic "Defoliation" !!!! what you are doing is great, many say do nothing to auto's but one has to remover some fan leaves for better light to buds ; but for regular" grows (4 months) do a heavy defoliation in week 4 of veg and week 4 in flower stage. other than that remove few as possible ,never remove the sugar leaves. Each one has their own way , after a while one knows when or not when to remove leaves . sound like you have found that spot . Defoliation helps bud development : stands to reason More Light = Bigger Buds !!!!
Thanks man, I appreciate it!!

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Here's the update by the way! DAY 64!
I didn't see it coming...but...I think she's ready!
I started flushing today by giving her 4 L of water.
Here are some pics:

Thanks for watching!

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Hey guys!
My apologies for the late update.
Today's DAY 71 for the beautiful GSC!
She smells like Mint! Perhaps the Thin Mint phenotype. Would be nice actually :)
And there's some kind of purple/brown appearing too
Here are 8 pics:

flash off

flash on

Here you can see some purple/brown. Not too sure what it is or what caused it.

Perhaps she's all ready waiting for me to harvest her?!
I've flushed 4.5L of water 4 times already, over 7 days. Will flush her once or twice more, and then will harvest :)
Her smell is much more obvious than her FastBuds cousins by the way! And she is covered with trichomes :-O

Thanks for watching!

Peace,

ABENAKI

ABENAKI

So may i ask .....lots of GSC i have seen seem to be indica dom but I Noticed this particular strain auto and all seems to have sativa dom.. You guys see this or am i nutz?

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

So may i ask .....lots of GSC i have seen seem to be indica dom but I Noticed this particular strain auto and all seems to have sativa dom.. You guys see this or am i nutz?
Thanks for passing by! And for starting this interesting conversation.
I definitely agree with you that the one I have looks a bit sativa (the leaves...), but not the buds though in my opinion. I am not too sure what auto Fastbuds used to make the cross.
I've smoked some GSC at different occasions: one was the Platinum cut (Indica dominant - looks like OG Kush but even better :)); one was the Thin Mint cut (this one seemed very 'hybrid', like 50/50); and another that was this time Sativa-dominant (perhaps the Forum cut? Not sure...), with a smell and taste of Durban Poison that was obvious.
I think this strain is really unstable as it is new so maybe that explains why there are so many phenotypes?
Have you tried any by the way?
Peace!

H

hawkman

Thanks for passing by Hawkman! For the 3 FastBuds I have used 18L pots, and for the 2 new girls I am using 10L airpots! Heard a lot of good things about airpots so I am giving them a try!
I used 22 lite (believe? 5 gallon) they do keep a plant from becoming root bound but they take a lot of work watering every day + adding soil - a bit messy - got bet yields with 5 gallon bucket - they are a good product ! they are stroage now using 10 gallon - man!!! what a difference 5 gallon makes - I double the yields !

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

I used 22 lite (believe? 5 gallon) they do keep a plant from becoming root bound but they take a lot of work watering every day + adding soil - a bit messy - got bet yields with 5 gallon bucket - they are a good product ! they are stroage now using 10 gallon - man!!! what a difference 5 gallon makes - I double the yields !
Wow that's huge! But did you use this size for autos or for photoperiods? What strain was it by the way? :)
Thanks for passing by!

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Hey guys!

I am about to harvest her!

Should I cut the whole plant first, then cut the buds, or should I just cut the buds off one after the other?

Here are some pics, taken 2 days ago, at DAY 73!

Peace,

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Alright guys, it's DONE!!!!
What an intense morning that was...!!!
Had to wake up at 4am before the light turns on, and I was there harvesting and trimming until 9:30! Well it was an adventure as I thought there was some bud rot because of weird bud tops and because of a weird cheesy smell. But after trimming the buds I noticed that the smell was actually coming from the leaves that seemed rotted...
Started to smell like hay 3 hours later, yet I was hurrying...!
Didn't hang them this time as the only place I can do that is too hot...
So I just put them in brown paper bags, in a closet and with a small fan running.
RH is at about 60% and temp is at about 70F!
The smell is already coming out, and I truly can't believe how these little buds look. There's definitely some OG Kush in there, I can definitely tell by the shape and structure of the buds! I feel like it's gonna be a nice one :)
I'll update pics later!
Peace,

Top Bottom