30 Years Of Growing.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I'm celebrating 30 years of growing. I can still remember my first grow. Not to smart in an apartment. I can still rem getting off the elevator and the whole floor smelt like weed.

I didn't know u had to switch to 12 hours. Huge. My first strains were mexican sativas. Thank god for mr. Emery. He put his freedom on the line and he is hands down the greatest weed warrior. TY so much Mark. I actually lived on Marcs old street.

It was one of the best decisions I made. Not for the money but for the quality.

Don't be afraid grow for what u believe in:)

the rrock

the rrock

In 1977 I sold(traded) my first qp of green for a shovelhead trike that could hold a keg on the back.I was 16 and nobody had seen green weed that had the aroma of sweet lysol.The weed wasnt even that strong but the smell was.That was my first plant grown in my parents backyard and Ive been plugging away ever since.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In 1983 in high school I took a ride with an older friend to meet the pot farmers out in the farmland of south Jersey.

We were brought a big black garbage bag of what smelled like a dead skunk in the road to me.

Then the guy sparked a huge joint and it really smelled. And after we were done I was toast. Walking into walls and laughing at everything.

Yup I sold real skunk weed for my start in the industry.

I only started growing myself about 5 years ago when I got my medical card.

The weed I found in west Michigan was well, terrible. It was the first place I lived where I couldn’t get hooked up right. Once I got sick of bad caregiver weed I started up myself. I have known growers since I was a kid. How hard could it be.

Lol. I don’t think I slept during my first year growing perpetually.

But I have always distributed our flowers since that skunk weed day.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Going strong for about 34yrs myself but my pops been growing even before me so the “trade” stayed. “Lol”. 46 and I hope to keep going. My girls are picking up the skills but they aren’t committed to it yet.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm 44 and just started growing 1.5yrs ago. Been selling weed on-and-off since I scored my first bag of shake in 83-84 but really knew nothing about pot till I got my medical card 3-4yrs ago and visited my first dispensary (been a trimmer for over a decade but knew nothing about the plants). Got tired of paying $300-$600mo on hit-or-miss weed and thought maybe I could do a better job of growing them myself. So I pestered my cousin into letting me use his old garden and promised him a 50% cut as long as he didn't interfere with how I grew them. I applied my 20yrs experience growing and cloning roses to my first cannabis garden and haven't paid for weed since I harvested my first plants the Oct before last. I shudder to think at the growing knowledge I'll possess if I'm still around in 28yrs.

Happy anniversary my friend. Your sacrifices paved the road for us, your contemporaries. Cheers!!!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Planted my first seeds summer of 1985. I lived with my grandparents (long haired devil worshiper they thought I was.) Built a chicken wire enclosure so the deer wouldn’t eat em. They were just starting to bud, little did I no gramps sneaky ass reconed me and cut um up with a pair of scissors rite where they grew. He even left the little nubby stock in the ground. So I went back to just smokin my black market weed threw my 20s. Bought all the grow books I could get my hands on reading but not growing. Then life happened wife, kids, dogs and carrier. 10 years ago started growing medical for my family. I’m now seriously addicted to my passion and love of this beautiful plant. I love them there mine!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hydro in ‘72? I call bullsh*t :D
Dude we were doing a form of hydroponics in 72. Not the traditional beds, or dwc and ebb n flos you see today. At the time I roomed with a Lithuanian dude IQ of about 140 in Berkley who was a master mushroom grower and cannabis farmer. Also ha a degree in botany.He devised a system with rain gutters and fish pumps in the basement of the flat we lived in. Fish pumps were to circulate the nutrient solution thru the rain gutter system. He grew some pretty respectable cannabis with his creation. In spite of the fact that all we had for lighting was fluorescent shop lights. Lots of tubes. :D All in all I would say it was a early form of NFT hydro.

Aquaculture/hydro has been around for a lot longer than some peeps realize. You being one of them apparently. So do your home work and gain knowledge before you call BS on us old timers. :D Oh yea thats right,,,,,,,, pics or it didn't happen right. Well let me see if I can get in the attic and find a faded old polaroid of his system.

The earliest published work on growing terrestrial plants without soil was the 1627 book Sylva Sylvarum or 'A Natural History' by Francis Bacon, printed a year after his death. Water culture became a popular research technique after that. In 1699, John Woodward published his water culture experiments with spearmint. He found that plants in less-pure water sources grew better than plants in distilled water. By 1842, a list of nine elements believed to be essential for plant growth had been compiled, and the discoveries of German botanists Julius von Sachs and Wilhelm Knop, in the years 1859–1875, resulted in a development of the technique of soilless cultivation.[2] Growth of terrestrial plants without soil in mineral nutrient solutions was called solution culture. It quickly became a standard research and teaching technique and is still widely used. Solution culture is, now considered, a type of hydroponics where there is no inert medium.

In 1929, William Frederick Gericke of the University of California at Berkeley began publicly promoting that solution culture be used for agricultural crop production.[3][4] He first termed it aquaculture but later found that aquaculture was already applied to culture of aquatic organisms. Gericke created a sensation by growing tomato vines twenty-five feet (7.6 metres) high in his back yard in mineral nutrient solutions rather than soil.[5] He introduced the term hydroponics, water culture, in 1937, proposed to him by W. A. Setchell, a phycologist with an extensive education in the classics.[6] Hydroponics is derived from neologism υδρωπονικά (derived from Greek ύδωρ=water and πονέω=cultivate), constructed in analogy to γεωπονικά (derived from Greek γαία=earth and πονέω=cultivate),[7] geoponica, that which concerns agriculture, replacing, γεω-, earth, with ὑδρο-, water.[2]

another link with some info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics

Reports of Gericke's work and his claims that hydroponics would revolutionize plant agriculture prompted a huge number of requests for further information. Gericke had been denied use of the University's greenhouses for his experiments due to the administration's skepticism, and when the University tried to compel him to release his preliminary nutrient recipes developed at home he requested greenhouse space and time to improve them using appropriate research facilities. While he was eventually provided greenhouse space, the University assigned Hoagland and Arnon to re-develop Gericke's formula and show it held no benefit over soil grown plant yields, a view held by Hoagland. In 1940, Gericke published the book, Complete Guide to Soil less Gardening, after leaving his academic position in a climate that was politically unfavorable.[8]

Two other plant nutritionists, Dennis R. Hoagland and Daniel I. Arnon, at the University of California were asked to research Gericke's claims. The two wrote a classic 1938 agricultural bulletin, The Water Culture Method for Growing Plants Without Soil,[9] which made the claim that hydroponic crop yields were no better than crop yields with good-quality soils. Crop yields were ultimately limited by factors other than mineral nutrients, especially light. This research, however, overlooked the fact that hydroponics has other advantages including the fact that the roots of the plant have constant access to oxygen and that the plants have access to as much or as little water as they need.[citation needed] This is important as one of the most common errors when growing is over- and under- watering; and hydroponics prevents this from occurring as large amounts of water can be made available to the plant and any water not used, drained away, recirculated, or actively aerated, eliminating anoxic conditions, which drown root systems in soil. In soil, a grower needs to be very experienced to know exactly how much water to feed the plant. Too much and the plant will be unable to access oxygen; too little and the plant will lose the ability to transport nutrients, which are typically moved into the roots while in solution. These two researchers developed several formulas for mineral nutrient solutions, known as Hoagland solution. Modified Hoagland solutions are still in use.

One of the earliest successes of hydroponics occurred on Wake Island, a rocky atoll in the Pacific Ocean used as a refueling stop for Pan American Airlines. Hydroponics was used there in the 1930s to grow vegetables for the passengers. Hydroponics was a necessity on Wake Island because there was no soil, and it was prohibitively expensive to airlift in fresh vegetables.[10]

In the 1960s, Allen Cooper of England developed the Nutrient film technique.[11] The Land Pavilion at Walt Disney World's EPCOT Center opened in 1982 and prominently features a variety of hydroponic techniques.

In recent decades, NASA has done extensive hydroponic research for its Controlled Ecological Life Support System (CELSS). Hydroponics research mimicking a Martian environment uses LED lighting to grow in a different color spectrum with much less heat. Ray Wheeler, a plant physiologist at Kennedy Space Center’s Space Life Science Lab, believes that hydroponics will create advances within space travel, as a bioregenerative life support system.[12]

In 2007, Eurofresh Farms in Willcox, Arizona, sold more than 200 million pounds of hydroponically grown tomatoes.[13] Eurofresh has 318 acres (1.3 km2) under glass and represents about a third of the commercial hydroponic greenhouse area in the U.S.[14] Eurofresh tomatoes were pesticide-free, grown in rockwool with top irrigation. Eurofresh declared bankruptcy, and the greenhouses were acquired by NatureSweet Ltd. in 2013.[15]

As of 2017, Canada had hundreds of acres of large-scale commercial hydroponic greenhouses, producing tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.[16]

Due to technological advancements within the industry and numerous economic factors, the global hydroponics market is forecast to grow from $226.45 million USD in 2016 to $724.87 million USD by 2023.[17]

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@Madbud in the future rather than just appear to be an idiot, don't open your mouth and remove all doubt lmao...…….. all bs aside what was your reasoning to call BS on my post. open thy mouth :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
here is some more interesting information/history of water culture

Top Bottom