400W HPS vs. 600W HPS

• Thread starter bootlegbrewer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OftheEarth

OftheEarth

I used to use a 400 watt hps and I upgraded to a 600 watt digital and I'm loving the upgrade. I get longer colas and definatley can say I see a increase in yeild well worth the extra 200 watt upgrade.
Did the switch frm 4 to 6 in the past and was amazed at the yeild

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Got a green one now, not sure of the brand, would have to check it out, just forget....had a lumatek in the past but this was cheaper and has the lumen dial from 50 percent to "super lumens." And it has a great fan in it that gets all the hot air right outta there, and how it is positioned, the hot air goes right up and outta the area. Just more familiar w lumatek, great to hear that the other magnetic s out there are good✌

d420dool

d420dool

hey bootleg just get a 1000 man i upgraded the same way u want to and i wish i did what everyone told me to wich was to buy a mag ballast and 1000 watt bulb instead i got a humboldt county micromole 600 and a hortilux hps 600 dont get me wrong there great pieces of equipoment but the ballast frequency interferes with cable companies and they have sensors that can pick up if ur runnin one, they look for the 50,000-60,000khz range, its like puttin a target in your room that people can see through the walls, as soon as possible im gettin the hydrofarm sg 1000 watt ballast i think its like around 150$$ so its not bad at all, its completely worth the piece of mind u get knowing no one will show up at ur house oneday talkin bout frequencies and disruption of tv signals for a half mile up and down the street, ya that shit is whack i know first hand not cool i will not run a digi ballast again until i move or laws change. just some food for thought bud

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Yeah.... I first hand use a 1000w hps in a 4x4 tent with only 9 plants growing dro. I generally yield 1.75+ can you say the same?
4 plants, 600 w. 4 total. 1 per plant. In lbs

That was with a 600 and ShPS after a mh. Ya gotta go mh then ShPS. Otherwiseull get strangly flowers that aren't tight. That was with coco coir and smartpots. Wish still had that setup!

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Is there a mag ballast that is for both Mh and SHPS? Or do ya gotta get em both

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Oh wow. Like runnin 2 6s better than a 1ker. Ok thanks look around see what's available. Thanks

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Oh wow. Like runnin 2 6s better than a 1ker. Ok thanks look around see what's available. Thanks
I hate most CAP products but I tried out their new extreme nano ballast and I am sold on them. Small, light and dimmable(if thats usefull to you). mag ballasts are reliable and time tested, but if you are looking to buy digital give these a look. I've got6 months on 4 of them now and no problems. Not a super long term test but it's better than nothing! FWIW i don't think CAP makes these ballasts themselves, so they might be available rebranded for a different maker for a little less$$$$.

Bannacis

Bannacis

whether you go to 600 or whatever, your in a 4x4 tent so heat will be the issue. My self I like having two diff light sources. that way you have a better light cover with less shadowing, maybe use the 400 hps and get a 400 mh. duel spectrum baby, and you can flower with mh. or get a 600 watt digital hps/mh that's has wattage adjustment. you benefit from both. And as far as yield goes it all has to do with Strain type, nutrients, is everything dialed in optimum. light spectrum. grower? you can have two exact set ups with two diff growers and you will get different results.
The Rev (Skunk magazine Cultivating editor) used to only flower with MH. mow he does both MH and 400 watt led's using his TLO method.

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Yea can go to 6 for flower. Max frost I think mentioned it and he gets great yeilds. Tighter buds and better.... It just doesn't make sense but maybe it's the because its more like the sun than the Hps but Hps was made for flowering. Anyone else use mh for flower?

Ever after

Ever after

it all depends on how many your using and your temps and grow size and needs

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Used a 6 in the same room before, had it inline fan vented, just did the same for the 4. Gonna switch to 6 for flower. See if that helps boost the flowering. Hoe it does

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

whether you go to 600 or whatever, your in a 4x4 tent so heat will be the issue. My self I like having two diff light sources. that way you have a better light cover with less shadowing, maybe use the 400 hps and get a 400 mh. duel spectrum baby, and you can flower with mh. or get a 600 watt digital hps/mh that's has wattage adjustment. you benefit from both. And as far as yield goes it all has to do with Strain type, nutrients, is everything dialed in optimum. light spectrum. grower? you can have two exact set ups with two diff growers and you will get different results.
The Rev (Skunk magazine Cultivating editor) used to only flower with MH. mow he does both MH and 400 watt led's using his TLO method.
Have u used mh to flower? Thinkin about it..

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Cool thanks. Thought so. This other person on here said its gives denser flowers, but didn't believe it. ShPS is the way to go.

N

Nt.lex

There is nothing I can't stand more than people who talk when they don't have a clue what they're talking about all above comments talk about lumens and how much outputs and how much you yield etc but a plant does not recognise lumens it is a human measurement used to measure the strength of a light does not mean any increased yield or anything of that sort if you learn we are talking about plants grow off par or Lux no plant can comprehend our human measurement (lumens ) the color spectrum is al.ost as important as the lux and par

N

Nt.lex

Hi everybody. I am currently running a 400W HPS in a 4X4 tent. I am considering moving up to a 600W HPS in an attempt for better yields, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not worth it.

Has anybody used both? If so, did you notice a difference big enough to justify the switch?
Bro i would highly advise upgrading to a 750 watt hps digital there new and for all those people who go off lumens ( as stupid as i think that is cos lumes are irelevant to a plant) the new 750s put out more lums more par and lux (propper light/plant photosynthesis requirements) than 1000 watters also the 1000s are a big of a stuff around to controll heat also

N

Nt.lex

Yeah.... I first hand use a 1000w hps in a 4x4 tent with only 9 plants growing dro. I generally yield 1.75+ can you say the same?
Bro u want the best advice ive had in a while with growing forget all about lumens im soo sick of hearing ppl talk bout lums lol the reasoning is because lumen is a measurement man made to measure the brightness of how the human eye can interperate light this doesnt apply to plants u can have a 2700000000000000000 billion lumens through a green light and ur plant will not grow a inch ots alot about spectrum man and do ur homework on lux and par

Smerb

Smerb

Spectrum man! Its all about the spectrum. Sun grown. Im really high off Oak OG. That first sentence should be read in a slow voice stony style.

Latest posts

Top Bottom