450w Led Or 800 Cob Led?

• Thread starter No1up
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

No1up

Not sure what if any difference a cob led would be but the 450w comes with its own timer.. Any suggestions?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Need the details of the both fixtures if you want an answer? Link would be better.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Both are junk. MAY be good for non fruiting plants like basil but def not for cannabis

Light is the worst thing to skrim on. A quality light can produce quality bud. cheap lights my bud, but it will not be comparable in either quality or quantity.

Let's say you are lucky enough to get 10gms dry weight using either of these, but with a quality light could get 2-3xs as much grow after grow

N

No1up

Phatnuggz, would the light toaster suggest be in the good quality section? It seems as though they are and are USA made. Would you suggest two small ones or one large one for a 32x32x60?

Also, I suppose I should start deleting old post... Lol

N

No1up

Thank you sir! Might I ask the reasoning behind this? Is 3000k spectrum ideal because of the grow size or simply because it is well received by the plant?

Toaster79

Toaster79

Thank you sir! Might I ask the reasoning behind this? Is 3000k spectrum ideal because of the grow size or simply because it is well received by the plant?

4K and 5K are great for veg but they are lacking in red spectrum. 3K has more red in the spectrum but is not as perfect for veg. But it's still gonna do a great job. I'm running 2K7 + 3K5 from seed to harvest and it usually takes about 8-10 weeks to fill in my space including topping and training. Now for veg alone I'd go with 4K to keep internodal spacing a bit shorter as they are gonna stretch in flower anyways.

N

No1up

Can the streacth be kept down by lowering the light to say 12"-15" above hydro net?

N

No1up

No I certainly don't lol. It seemed like a well made USA light. I'l b do some further research on lighting. I still have a lot to learn.

Toaster79

Toaster79

No I certainly don't lol. It seemed like a well made USA light. I'l b do some further research on lighting. I still have a lot to learn.

You wanna learn led lighting start here

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-led-with-cobs-small-medium-and-large-grows.64252/

And here

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sixstrings-led-cob-builds.85163/

After you're done reading those two threads and still have a question I'll be glad to answer it for you.

N

No1up

Toaster 79, thank you. You have been extremely helpful and informative. I've been doing a lot of reading on QB boards, it seems as this is the newest tech in the lighting industry. I'm thinking of keeping that cheap cob light set up for a side light or to to help boost light spectrum for veg stage but I'll need to do some more homework. I still have time as I'm in no hurry. Thank you again friend.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

4K and 5K are great for veg but they are lacking in red spectrum. 3K has more red in the spectrum but is not as perfect for veg. But it's still gonna do a great job. I'm running 2K7 + 3K5 from seed to harvest and it usually takes about 8-10 weeks to fill in my space including topping and training. Now for veg alone I'd go with 4K to keep internodal spacing a bit shorter as they are gonna stretch in flower anyways.

What kind of heat does the 3K produce. I'm running 3x 100w CXB3590 with good diffusers and active cooling. My 48x24x60 tent has hit 90-92F in 80F weather but I've been able to get it down to around 5F over external temps. At this point I don't know if I'll need any other lighting. Call me sceptical but I still struggle with the idea that 300w can grow more than a plant or two, if even that. However it does seem like plenty of light when it almost blinds me to check on them and they peg my cheapie light meter.

Do you think I'd benefit from the addition of a single, cycle specific board in addition to my 3590s or should I just pick up another 200w set of 3590s? This is my first indoor grow so I feel a bit like I'm shooting in the dark.

I currently have 12 seedlings in the tent. 4-6 Will be going outside to leave me with 6-8 in the tent before any culling. Can I get away with 8 under my current lights or should I reduce to 6, or even 3? 4 are fems, so the standard odds are that I'll get 4 males to cull. I've taken measures to decrease those odds but I've beat the sh*t out of them pretty good trying to dial it all in. All my effort may be in vain but I don't easily give up. A board with more blue should help get more fems right?

Here's my current setup. I know my seedlings look a little worse for wear but they were just transplanted and should be recovered within a few days.

20180504 052647
20180504 052707

I'm intrigued by these boards and have never seen them before this thread. They look like an inexpensive way to boost the proper spectrum during each cycle but I don't know that I need to. I'm trying to be preemptive here. Buying two boards is the same price as another 200w 3590 fixture, but a lot of heat could be an issue since they have no cooling mechanisms. With the 3590s I'll get the full 200w during all cycles vs 96w from a single board but I'll lack the ability to adjust from red to blue and vice-versa.

I've seen what you can grow, Toaster, so I do value your opinion, and will take it into heavy consideration. I'm also checking out your grow room link right after this. I will be getting getting a filter and ducted fan system asap so cooling may not be as much of an issue in the near future. I've had a lot of expenses lately that have put a severe crimp in my budget and I've had to piecemeal my whole system.

Top Bottom