4in Rockwool Cubes Dropping

• Thread starter Weston
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Weston

hey all! So I’m growing in 4 inch rockwool cubes from seed and have been dealing with slow growth and yellowing. Had a small bout with thrips.

Room temp- 77 degrees 60% humidity..

Veg bloom nutes at .6 ec each feeding 5.5 ph.

They droop last half of day almost everyday. Hard to tell if overwatering. Been trying to water every other day.

4in rockwool cubes dropping
4in rockwool cubes dropping 2
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

hey all! So I’m growing in 4 inch rockwool cubes from seed and have been dealing with slow growth and yellowing. Had a small bout with thrips.

Room temp- 77 degrees 60% humidity..

Veg bloom nutes at .6 ec each feeding 5.5 ph.

They droop last half of day almost everyday. Hard to tell if overwatering. Been trying to water every other day.
Ahhh I know exactly what you mean... When you start directly in 4in cubes this can happen... When I got back into the game after many years of being MIA in the field, I went to using hydroponics from my traditional method of Soil growing... I found out quick that watering to often when they are young like that will cause the slow growth. I recommend next time using the little cubes for seeds after germination, then putting them in the 4in ones when you see the first sign of roots. Also, soak the cubes in a very low dose nutrient solution before doing this(since rockwool is inert). Don't water every day. Rather, give a nice watering till it's soaked but not over saturated, then wait a day or two or more, till it needs more water. The easiest way to tell when it needs a watering is to simply pick it up. It will be like if water is needed... I notice you have a flood table... Don't start using the flood and drain till the plants are big enough (usually when you see the root mass coming out of the 4in cube) to use the nutrient solution effectively... I will also tell you this now since your in the early stages that you might want to through some hydroton clay pellets in that tray because when the roots come out the bottom of those cubes ( and they will) they will be exposed to light Wich could cause alge growth on the roots Wich in turn could steal oxygen away from the root system, which in turn will give you weak stems, and slightly sub par buds. Roots love oxygen. Don't Rob them of it lol I would say, if you are watering them every day, don't. See if that helps with the drooping.

W

Weston

Ahhh I know exactly what you mean... When you start directly in 4in cubes this can happen... When I got back into the game after many years of being MIA in the field, I went to using hydroponics from my traditional method of Soil growing... I found out quick that watering to often when they are young like that will cause the slow growth. I recommend next time using the little cubes for seeds after germination, then putting them in the 4in ones when you see the first sign of roots. Also, soak the cubes in a very low dose nutrient solution before doing this(since rockwool is inert). Don't water every day. Rather, give a nice watering till it's soaked but not over saturated, then wait a day or two or more, till it needs more water. The easiest way to tell when it needs a watering is to simply pick it up. It will be like if water is needed... I notice you have a flood table... Don't start using the flood and drain till the plants are big enough (usually when you see the root mass coming out of the 4in cube) to use the nutrient solution effectively... I will also tell you this now since your in the early stages that you might want to through some hydroton clay pellets in that tray because when the roots come out the bottom of those cubes ( and they will) they will be exposed to light Wich could cause alge growth on the roots Wich in turn could steal oxygen away from the root system, which in turn will give you weak stems, and slightly sub par buds. Roots love oxygen. Don't Rob them of it lol I would say, if you are watering them every day, don't. See if that helps with the drooping.

I started them in 1.5 inch cubes and transferred to 4 inch cubes when roots were popping out. Prepared cubes in 5.0 water for 24hours and all that good stuff. They have many roots popping out bottom. They perk up sometimes but are more often drooping.. the air is slightly stale with no new air which could be an issue but the big plants don’t seem to mind..

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I started them in 1.5 inch cubes and transferred to 4 inch cubes when roots were popping out. Prepared cubes in 5.0 water for 24hours and all that good stuff. They have many roots popping out bottom. They perk up sometimes but are more often drooping.. the air is slightly stale with no new air which could be an issue but the big plants don’t seem to mind..
Ah, ok good job broham... Well, I've seen this before in some of my first hydro grows (not saying this is your first tho) with over watering. Those 4in cubes can hold a lot of water. You said "the big ones don't seem to mind" in regards to airflow but that's also a small clue. Bigger plants can be watered every day or every other day... Are you watering big and small ones at the same time?

W

Weston

Ah, ok good job broham... Well, I've seen this before in some of my first hydro grows (not saying this is your first tho) with over watering. Those 4in cubes can hold a lot of water. You said "the big ones don't seem to mind" in regards to airflow but that's also a small clue. Bigger plants can be watered every day or every other day... Are you watering big and small ones at the same time?

The larger ones r in a different medium so I will allow them to dry out a bit more.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I would stop and let those blocks get more dry... I didn't notice this before but I zoomed in on one of your pics and you see how some of the leaves are ruffled, puffy and wavey? That's a clear sign of to much water in the cell walls.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I would stop and let those blocks get more dry... I didn't notice this before but I zoomed in on one of your pics and you see how some of the leaves are ruffled, puffy and wavey? That's a clear sign of to much water in the cell walls.
Hit the nail on the head. Wait for them to dry out most of the way(not all the way) then start short waterings 2-3 times per day. Like just a few seconds of water if thats all they need. If your wondering how much water they are holding just pick em up

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Nice... Whats this Moon Drops about? I've heard of the others but not this one. Kimbo is a goody btw lol

W

Weston

Moon drops is from archive seed bank.. it is dosido and purple urkle.. I’m stoked to flower them out and see what we got!

W

Weston

I let them dry out and started .8 ec waters at lower volume twice a day being careful not to over saturate and they are looking about the same.. refuse to perk up and most branches growing slowly. Need a new solution.. I still believe it is watering practice I just don’t know where to go from here

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I let them dry out and started .8 ec waters at lower volume twice a day being careful not to over saturate and they are looking about the same.. refuse to perk up and most branches growing slowly. Need a new solution.. I still believe it is watering practice I just don’t know where to go from here
well, assuming that they where at a dry enough level, what brand of nutes do you use? Also, where's your water coming from? I might want to add that they might be stunted. Just be patient brother.

Last edited:
Top Bottom