5 Quantum Boards What Driver?

• Thread starter Peacefreedom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Peacefreedom

Peacefreedom

I've tried to understand this shit. Forward voltage milliamp and watts. At this point I think I'm just as confused as a non binary when it comes to the data sheets. So many mfing nerd numbers my brain shits the bed. Look I just can't learn ok. So what the fuck will run these bitches (304) at 100 watts? I was going to get their blue heat sink since that's all they have left right now and running soft for life and efficacy sounds good. Plus I'm in the desert. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys!

sixstring

sixstring

Im not sure there is a driver that will run 5 x qb304 at 100w.i run 2 x 304 per
Mw 240-1050ma and that gives me about 115w per board.you might be able to do it with parallel wiring and a 700ma driver for about 75w per board.on the hlg website under"board notes"it gives us a bunch of different board/driver combos and the power of each board

tags420

tags420

Only way to do it on one driver is an hlg480H-c3500 then spit it into 5 parallel and it would give you 700ma per string(~75w/board). 5 is an interesting number...would be worth another to make even strings. Or using just 4 honestly and run them a touch harder.
If you had gotten the 54v(qb288) you could use an hlg600-54 and power them all easily.

Peacefreedom

Peacefreedom

What's the difference between 5 pin and 7? I thought I knew which driver, but then there is a million options for said model. Not to mention the a,b,c at the end of the model numbers.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

What's the difference between 5 pin and 7? I thought I knew which driver, but then there is a million options for said model. Not to mention the a,b,c at the end of the model numbers.

which mean well driver are you specifically talking about?

the model I bought HLG-320H-C1400B

HLG = series name
320 = Rated Wattage
H = high input voltage 305 max (I run mine at 240V)
C = Constant current over a certain output voltage range
1400 = constant milliamp output over a certain output voltage range
B = external dimming options, an 'A' option is an internal trim pot dimmer

The external dimming option has 7 wires ( 3 - for input, 2 - for output, 2 - for dimming)
The internal dimming pot has 5 wires ( 3 - for input, 2 - for output)

I hope you were talking about the Driver part number and not the quantum board part number, lol

Peacefreedom

Peacefreedom

Ok so 5 pin drivers have an internal dimmer and the 7 pin you hook the dimmer up of your choice! Level up! I got confused looking at the link from Robin's website because I didn't realize that I was looking at multiple quotes of multiple websites' drivers...doh! We're not worthy!

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

I've tried to understand this shit. Forward voltage milliamp and watts. At this point I think I'm just as confused as a non binary when it comes to the data sheets. So many mfing nerd numbers my brain shits the bed. Look I just can't learn ok. So what the fuck will run these bitches (304) at 100 watts? I was going to get their blue heat sink since that's all they have left right now and running soft for life and efficacy sounds good. Plus I'm in the desert. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys!
Voltage is additive in series connections and amps are additive in parallel. Add the Vf of each board you plan to connect in series and that is your total voltage demand. I believe the boards you have desire a 700ma or 1400ma drivers to match.

sixstring

sixstring

Voltage is additive in series connections and amps are additive in parallel. Add the Vf of each board you plan to connect in series and that is your total voltage demand. I believe the boards you have desire a 700ma or 1400ma drivers to match.
qb 304 has a shitload of drivers that could be used.although for 100w per board the choices go down to 1 or 2 drivers.none will do 5 boards at 100w safely.
parallel wiring
Dimmable

series wiring
DRIVER NOTES ( 2 BOARDS SERIES)
Non Dimmable

Dimmable

P

pickle rick

i have the same problem. i bought 4 QB 304's and a meanwell hlg600-54a driver only to be told that my driver will not work with the 304's:crying2::crying2: can anybody help me too choose a single driver to get the most out of these boards please. im new to the diy community so any suggestions would be much appriciated :cool:

sixstring

sixstring

i have the same problem. i bought 4 QB 304's and a meanwell hlg600-54a driver only to be told that my driver will not work with the 304's:crying2::crying2: can anybody help me too choose a single driver to get the most out of these boards please. im new to the diy community so any suggestions would be much appriciated :cool:

Still no good option for the qb304 as far as driving 4 boards that wont go way over voltage rating of the wire connection. Use 2x meanwell 240-1050ma and wire 2 qb304 in series per driver for about 118w per board.thats how i run mine.in theory you could use a mw 480-1050ma and wire 4 boards in series but you would be waaaaay over spec on the wire connect of the qb.

P

pickle rick

thank you for the reply sixstring... if i understand correctly couldn't i run 4 QB 304's in a series of 2 boards in parallel on a mean well HLG 480h-c2800?? i'm learning as i go so please bare with me:cool: when i split that current with the boards being wires in series-parallel does that send 240-1400ma to each string? would it work well? i have that new meanwell600 and im going to see if i can return it for a single driver that would work because my project fund is about tapped out:cry: any advise on how to best complete this project would be great sixstring... THANKS

P

pickle rick

Still no good option for the qb304 as far as driving 4 boards that wont go way over voltage rating of the wire connection. Use 2x meanwell 240-1050ma and wire 2 qb304 in series per driver for about 118w per board.thats how i run mine.in theory you could use a mw 480-1050ma and wire 4 boards in series but you would be waaaaay over spec on the wire connect of the qb.

P

pickle rick

well i'm about to email TRC electronics and see if i can swap out my 600 for the two hlg240's and just eat the $50 difference in price and chalk it up to the learning curve lol.... thanks again for the advise sixstring!

sixstring

sixstring

@pickle rick i think the problem there would be 1400ma is kinda pushing the qb 304 hard like upwards of 140w per board so heatsinks will need to be on point bigtime.i would return the 600 in favor of 2 of those 240-1050ma i spoke about if it was my project.might be a tad more for the second driver but not much and much safer setup as well as a better wattage/efficiency to run that board.

P

pickle rick

@pickle rick i think the problem there would be 1400ma is kinda pushing the qb 304 hard like upwards of 140w per board so heatsinks will need to be on point bigtime.i would return the 600 in favor of 2 of those 240-1050ma i spoke about if it was my project.might be a tad more for the second driver but not much and much safer setup as well as a better wattage/efficiency to run that board.
well i took your advise sixstring... just spoke with TRC electronics and they are going to swap out the drivers so i should be back to it in about a week, thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom