50 site cloner/veg aeroponic unit. a few unique mods

• Thread starter Xceptional
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

Xceptional

The parts list…..

50 gal Rubbermaid rough neck tote $20 @ Home Depot. They had a few different color lids but I went with black for it’s ability to prevent light penetrating to the res/root zone as well.

100 pk 360 degree spray jets for $19 - cant find a better price anywhere!

2 10’ 1/2 “ pvc pipes

3 – ½” T fittings

4 – 3 way connector $1.20 EA http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml ( i did not use these I bought local parts and had to use a ton of adapters so mine look different)

4 ½” pvc end caps

2” neoprene inserts -
These are the cheapest I could find anywhere at $20 shipped for 50. They are denser then the normal ones and I really like that because the ones the hydro store sells seem to get soggy after a while and then look like shit. These wont get soggy from what I can tell I’ve been running them for about 3 days. Also they should need less cleaning and be easier to clean. The only down side is their cut in the insert to hold the cutting does not work. The issue is the neoprene is so dense it feels like it would choke the plant. I just snipped a corner off of the inner triangles created by the cross cut they made and then it relieved some of the pressure and they work great. The other benefit to these are they are thinner so smaller cuts can be used and still have stem sticking out the bottom.

2” netcups – IDK about $9 pre shipping here - i bought them locally. The reason I used these was I’m going to be transplanting into a ebb and grow and I wanted it to stay completely medium-less so I didn’t want the roots to get caught in the net cups. Also the cups are tapered and the lip keeps them nice and firmly placed on the lid and the taper lets you wedge the insert in as tight or loose as you wish. Without these it always felt like there was either too much pressure on the stem or so little that the damn plant could fall into the res. I planned on cloning 50 and keeping 25-30 cuts that will then get vegged to 10” right in this unit. Because of that I needed good support on the lid much more then those soft spongy inserts pressure fit could provide.
396 gph pump or larger

Tool List

PVC Cutters - $10 http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml about $12 @ Home Depot - Spend the $10-$15 and get pvc cutters! Even if you take them back afterwards not having a ton of little strands of plastic to clean up on the pipes because you used a saw is worth the cost of the cutters in my opinion. Also if you are lazy and don’t measure like me it makes it quick as hell to make quick adjustments to the pipe one squeeze and you’ve made a clean cut on the pipe. Every little piece of plastic left behind has the ability to clog a sprayer. Clogged sprayers are a pain in the ass!

2” Hole Saw

Drill bit for spray heads, I think it is 11/64 but I don’t know for sure. Damn I’m not that much help am i?

Putting it together is pretty obvious. I’m not a big fan of measuring I just half ass measure and then cut a little larger. Then I get one side together then when I’ve snipped it back until it fits right I duplicate it on the other side. The pipe is $1.20 for 10’ so no need to measure and be all critical you have more then enough in 2 pieces an you will have a whopping $2.40 invested. Besides if you mess up and undercut you are screwed and wasted the piece. If you over cut by 4” who cares you will have like 8 extra feet when you are done anyways.

What I would change about the way I made this is this….
I would glue the net cup lids in place. It’s a bitch when you lift the lid to high and they fall out. They will get glued down when this set of cuts come out.

Cleaning the net cup holes in the lid is a pain. Again any plastic left behind can clog a spray head. I tried sand paper by hand, dremel with wire attachment, dremel with barrel sander and finally ended up using a standard razor blade. It took forever to clean them up (I watched 3 episodes of the office on hulu). What would have worked super fast would have been a jet lighter! Just get a torch or butane lighter that puts out the pointed blue flame and run it around the edges and melt any little pieces hanging off.
I’m still adding plastic to the lid because I think it will look clean. Some spray glue and some panda and I’m gluing the panda to the lid.

I’ll pull measurements if you would like for the hole placement. It took me forever to get that right I really suck at getting the measurements right.
For the manifold I just used the small dips in the bottom of the tote to get my dimensions. Look at my manifold pic an you will see exactly what I’m talking about.

The Lid, upside down!
This lid is designed in a way that if you flip it upside down about 3” of the lid wedges into the tote creating one hell of a seal. You have to really push it in place and you have to push 2 sides at a time otherwise the other side pops out. This also creates a little splash guard which is totally unnecessary but has a cool factor to me. I did my best to get a pic that shows what I’m talking about with the lid but if you go and look at this tote in the store it will make total sense immediately. Either way if you do this or not you can always flip it over and use it the other way at any time as long as you have not glued the net cup lips down.

you do have to seal a few holes in the handles in the tote. i forgot to get silicone before i left the store so i used duct tape. in the future i'll just cut up a insert and wedge the pieces in and then silicone over and around them.

Cloner finished lid lip view
Cloner finished lid lip view 2
Cloner finished manifold
Cloner finished net cup mod view
Cloner finished top
Cloner lid pre cut bottom
Cloner lid pre cut top
Cloner manafoild corner 90 degree fitting with bottom out and adapters
Full cloner
S

Sin

thx a lot for this brother. Im going to take a swing at this next week. peace

X

Xceptional

shit man i'm glad you guys like it. if you build it based on my ideas and especially if you find any improvements along the way let me know!

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
that cloner is DOPE!!! kills the ezcloner might have to build 1...thx bro

X

Xceptional

yeah no prob heavy if u need any help dont ask....

j.k just hit me up fam

B

brookky

Hey Xceptional I tried the link for the sprayers. It doesn't seem to work. I looked on the web page are they the red 360 sprayers? If they are they are 11 dollars for 100 without shipping

X

Xceptional

brookky sorry i dont know whats up with their site. it sounds like you have the right ones they are red 360 degree sprayers and when i ordered them they were $0.12 EA BUT at checkout they showed up on sale for $0.10 EA so a 100 pk was $10 plus shipping. i looked and i dont see them on their site via search if i find them again i'll repost. any 360 sprayer will work just fine.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Killer DIY Exeptional!! +K

B

brookky

No problem Hey Xceptional what if any kind of cloning solution do you use if any? Thought I might use clonex

M

mrdizzle

with the hard pvc, does the sprayer just pop into the drill hole and makes a tight seal? I use raindrop plastic for my drip system. I guess you could still use the raindrop, you dont really have to have the hard PVC but I like the stablity of it

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

does it leak?? or does that brand toat seal really good??I built one very simiular and water seemed to leak around the lid seal..
eventully dripping all in the floor..

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

my bad didnt read the whole post...

The Lid, upside down!
This lid is designed in a way that if you flip it upside down about 3” of the lid wedges into the tote creating one hell of a seal. You have to really push it in place and you have to push 2 sides at a time otherwise the other side pops out. This also creates a little splash guard which is totally unnecessary but

X

Xceptional

No problem Hey Xceptional what if any kind of cloning solution do you use if any? Thought I might use clonex

i've cloned with and without solution. i usually just doa 50/50 ro to tap mix or just all ro and dip the cuts in gel. i like to slightly score the cuts they seem to pop roots faster if you do but be careful not to cut too deep!

with the hard pvc, does the sprayer just pop into the drill hole and makes a tight seal? I use raindrop plastic for my drip system. I guess you could still use the raindrop, you dont really have to have the hard PVC but I like the stablity of it

they are threaded adn with a 11/64th hole they screw right in. you have to use some elbow grease to get them in i would just use pliers but be careful it is easy to snap the top off if you are too rough.

does it leak?? or does that brand toat seal really good??I built one very simiular and water seemed to leak around the lid seal..
eventully dripping all in the floor..

i know you answered this yoruself but i wanted to make a few comments. i get ZERO leaks so far and i'm a week in. ther eis nothing to start leaking later but maybe the holes in the handles but the duct tape has been working fine. i actually bout some aquarium sealant today for my ro water res that i planned on using on this if i had enough left over but so far no need. the tote is a roughneck 50 gal.

whatever you do dont follow that bad ass advice in many diy cloner tutorials that say put the power plug hole on the side that just is asking for trouble! sacrifice a little top real estate and guarentee you are leak free. the first one i put the hole on the side and had nothing but problems!

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

hell yea thats whats up.. I love do it yourself projects...
especially when they save you a grip of $$$$...

Try Gorrilla tape if your duct tape starts to leak...

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Hell yeah Gorrilla tape!

hell yea thats whats up.. I love do it yourself projects...
especially when they save you a grip of $$$$...

Try Gorrilla tape if your duct tape starts to leak...

I love Gorilla Tape! it solves multiple problems and much stronger then duct tape!

B

bladez2k2

First off awesome cloners, I was just curious of a couple things, what size submersible pump do you use, and for how long dow you have to run the cloner every day and on average how long does it take to clone? I am a newbie and I have some seeds, but not enough to provide myself with the quanity I am allowed.

B

bladez2k2

I have one quick question, do you still have the measurements for the hole placing, it`s been a real pain in my but. thanks

B

bngrips

Just take a neoprene or a net pot and trace around. worked great for me. Maybe I just like to do things lazy stoner style though:bongsmi:

Latest posts

Top Bottom