600w Bulb In 1000w Ballast

• Thread starter pdasterly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pdasterly

pdasterly

i have a doubled ended 1000w ballast and hood but its too hot in room, can i replace bulbs with 600w bulbs and run ballast at 600w

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’ve read it’ll work but you are best off with a 600w igniter and capacitor. It’ll draw 600w from the ballast but you want to use the correct igniter and cap to make sure you don’t blow the bulb on ignition. Once it’s fired up it should be just fine though and put off less heat. Another solution is to move the ballast outside the grow area or use a reflector with a tempered glass shield. Which I recommend doing anyhow for fire risk. Then you can vent the heat from the reflector out of the grow space so it doesn’t heat up your grow area.

pdasterly

pdasterly

ballasts are outside grow area, ordered bulbs, ill have them today

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

i have a doubled ended 1000w ballast and hood but its too hot in room, can i replace bulbs with 600w bulbs and run ballast at 600w
why would you not just run the 1kde bulb on 600w instead of wasting your money? Youve already got a DE bulb that will dim down to 600w.... i mean either Im dumb or ... :speechless:
DE bulbs do not work near as well if they are in cool hoods. The nitrogen in the outer sphere has to be run at a select temp and will draw heat from outside in to achieve this. Most air cooled hoods will pass cooler air directly over the bulb.

Have you tried google? There is so many articles on the science of DE technology.

pdasterly

pdasterly

from what i understand a 600w at 100% is more efficient than 1000w running at 60%, so far my temps are down 5 degrees

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

ive had a few fiends that switched from 1000 watt ,to 600 watt for the reason you just mentioned,they same effect with lower light bill

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Most of the 600 de bulbs we had where a little shorter then the 1k's on Gavi's 600/750's at least.

Top Bottom