600w Grow Box Design, Brainstorming

• Thread starter xeamonk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xeamonk

xeamonk

Growcube

Ive been working on this in my head for awhile now and since i have most of the parts on the way i figured the next first step to making it real was to go ahead and put it on paper.

the diagram i made should pretty much explain what im thinking.

please, give me your thoughts.

hope all is well with everyone,
-peace

Monster762

Monster762

Looks good to me. That will filter air and push the heat out. The grates give you clean intake air. Long as the fan pulls hard enough you will stay with a negative airflow so nothing escapes the room unfiltered. The 5 ft height is iffy with hps. If you keep em short you're good. Nice common sense design. A lot of people lack that. Common sense. I'd rock 1 plant in there n train it sideways. Max it out Again good setup there.

xeamonk

xeamonk

Looks good to me. That will filter air and push the heat out. The grates give you clean intake air. Long as the fan pulls hard enough you will stay with a negative airflow so nothing escapes the room unfiltered. The 5 ft height is iffy with hps. If you keep em short you're good. Nice common sense design. A lot of people lack that. Common sense. I'd rock 1 plant in there n train it sideways. Max it out Again good setup there.

thanks man, im hoping it will work and not be too short. upstairs in my place i can build it 7' no problem but it would have to be quiet. downstairs in the basement is fine but it has super low ceilings. big catch 22, like usual :)

xeamonk

xeamonk

Are you going to use the biggest hood you can buy? Five feet tall is too small for a six hundred watt HID...

the hood is really small, its about 8' from hangar bracket to glass

Monster762

Monster762

Are you going to use the biggest hood you can buy? Five feet tall is too small for a six hundred watt HID...
True that's why I said height was iffy. Those lights are intense. I'd keep it short and tie every branc 90 degrees outward. Personally I would run t5 in a heartbeat with 5 ft ceilings. And led to kick spectrum for flower. Then no heat no noise no power draw either.

Krypto

Krypto

Make it a foot taller. Intake fan, running to the light. Otherwise you'll have an oven, not a grow box. And with magnetic ballast. Don't they run warmer than digital? Plus I would want an LED or 1000 watt HPS.
I'm not criticizing at all bro. Just spit-balln, I could be wrong.
Nice job btw.

xeamonk

xeamonk

hey no problem speak freely i assure you its appreciated

now is it that you think i need outside air in order to keep that light cool? i was assuming ( i really shouldnt) that the fan blowing over the bulb and out the hood and vented outside the cab would work. thoeretically the passive intakes should draw ambient temperature air into the cab as quick as it is pushed out from the hood....... right?
starting to think that sucking the air out would be better.

i was hoping going large with the fan and filter would help me here but if need be i can use a 400w bulb in this setup, the socket on that ballast is attatched so it makes it harder to swap everything around because the hood its on is missing glass. so again a catch 22 but ill make something work here.

i know a big cab is going to be needed and height especially just for the light intensity alone. so i may as well start there. you guys are right, 5ft is too short.

i ive been reading a bit on theatre and studio soundproofing and how they ventilate spaces so thats pretty interesting. im legal so its more of an aesthetic thing like finding a space inside where its tolerable and not in the way, it might have to be in my garage for a few months while i scrounge around for building materials and build a room around it :)

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Iv not read every post made here so forgive me if I'm repeating advice already given.
If you have a passive intake make sure you vent the extracted air out of the room your "grow box" is in or you will just be re circulating the same air which will result in high humidity and bud rot.wen growing in cupboards or tents or any small space it's ESSENTIAL to have proper air exchange.
I also find controlling the temps and humidity of the room the tent or box is in makes it easier to keep temps in the grow room were you want it.for example if the room the grow box is in is say 30 degrees it will be practically impossible to keep the conditions inside the box below that without a direct intake and out take that are vented and brought in from a different area.
I hope that makes sense to you as I'm not the best at explaining things at times.

fatawa

fatawa

And with magnetic ballast. Don't they run warmer than digital
yup alot warmer.and they hum,and if u c pics that r yellowhue with multiple lines top to bottom of shade(kinda like a luver effect)thats a magnetic.grab the digital so u can run 250w,400,600.then u kno heat wont b an issue

xeamonk

xeamonk

thank you!

that looks amazing and is almost like a picture in my mind of what i would like to do,

sweet! what do you have in there? they look great :)

so how do you have it all working in there? I also have a cheap open reflector i can use.
could you describe the order of your fan and filter? what would you call that your intake/exhaust chain?
i would love to do what you did right there, thats it man. thanks for sharing that, giving me hope !!

i was checking some lux readings under my hood and the spread is looking pretty fucked, going to have to hang it up in the open or even inside the box , which would be ideal i suppose once i have it built and painted, would it be the case that 600w in a 4x4 relies on reflection to get the edges?

xeamonk

xeamonk

Fan, filter, and ballast can be mounted outside room to lower overall heat load and to save on space. fyi

thanks, and thats a heck of a nice looking grow there.

thats why i put brainstorming in the title, i appreciate the input

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I'd go for a t5 n cheap led

eBay/amazon a 300 for 65-95 bux

One of those n dual 4"ft 54 w t5 6500 k. The cheap leds have tons of red in em

Krypto

Krypto

hey no problem speak freely i assure you its appreciated

now is it that you think i need outside air in order to keep that light cool? i was assuming ( i really shouldnt) that the fan blowing over the bulb and out the hood and vented outside the cab would work. thoeretically the passive intakes should draw ambient temperature air into the cab as quick as it is pushed out from the hood....... right?
starting to think that sucking the air out would be better.

i was hoping going large with the fan and filter would help me here but if need be i can use a 400w bulb in this setup, the socket on that ballast is attatched so it makes it harder to swap everything around because the hood its on is missing glass. so again a catch 22 but ill make something work here.

i know a big cab is going to be needed and height especially just for the light intensity alone. so i may as well start there. you guys are right, 5ft is too short.

i ive been reading a bit on theatre and studio soundproofing and how they ventilate spaces so thats pretty interesting. im legal so its more of an aesthetic thing like finding a space inside where its tolerable and not in the way, it might have to be in my garage for a few months while i scrounge around for building materials and build a room around it :)
I'm just going from my own experience. I use a small window units to blow cool air and use the intake fan to make sure that it gets routed through the 1000 watt HPS.
Which I won't have to do for much longer as soon as I find an LED that can match basically what is essentially a cheap- o thousand watt setup. Also I have a couple"super HPS" on the way. So as to run more efficient full spectrum, cooler running bulb. We'll see..

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

thank you!

that looks amazing and is almost like a picture in my mind of what i would like to do,

sweet! what do you have in there? they look great :)

so how do you have it all working in there? I also have a cheap open reflector i can use.
could you describe the order of your fan and filter? what would you call that your intake/exhaust chain?
i would love to do what you did right there, thats it man. thanks for sharing that, giving me hope !!

i was checking some lux readings under my hood and the spread is looking pretty fucked, going to have to hang it up in the open or even inside the box , which would be ideal i suppose once i have it built and painted, would it be the case that 600w in a 4x4 relies on reflection to get the edges?
G-13 is the strain from Dr. Greenthumb. Hood is a viper with the glass removed. Filter mounted to the intake side of the fan and expelled out of the box.

Top Bottom