72 Hours Of Darkness Before I Harvest?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You gotta make it roll my friend. Old threads like the solo cup run...……………...
hahaha you know i am gonna do a solo run one day,only when i know i got the strength to feed um 3 times a day lol,no automation on this side of town,lmao

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

so what was the consensus on the light off prior to harvest ? I just read through 3 pages of weirdness expecting to get something useful :cry::cry::cry::cry:

S

Stoneychef

Yeah I been through a couple forums, and reading scientific journals about plant biology. It’s the same argument for both lights off before harvest and flushing or not flushing. I came to this conclusion. If plants in general needs light to survive then depriveing it of light will force the plant to use what ever is left within the plant to keep it alive until it can get light again. Therfore, if in fact the nutrients, sugar, starch, or chlorophyll is what makes the bud harsh when burned then it would make sense to starve it of light before harvest. As for more potency when left in the dark, I have no idea and don’t really give a shit because I feel like if your plant is shit to begin with at late late flowering stage, there is nothing you can do at that point. It’s all about the genetics and how you raise your plant. But it starts off with genetics.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah I been through a couple forums, and reading scientific journals about plant biology. It’s the same argument for both lights off before harvest and flushing or not flushing. I came to this conclusion. If plants in general needs light to survive then depriveing it of light will force the plant to use what ever is left within the plant to keep it alive until it can get light again. Therfore, if in fact the nutrients, sugar, starch, or chlorophyll is what makes the bud harsh when burned then it would make sense to starve it of light before harvest. As for more potency when left in the dark, I have no idea and don’t really give a shit because I feel like if your plant is shit to begin with at late late flowering stage, there is nothing you can do at that point. It’s all about the genetics and how you raise your plant. But it starts off with genetics.

The plant does not do that. Only thing that happens in the dark with a c3 plant like cannabis is the starches in the plant tissue move back down to the roots as the plant basically goes into hybernation. It may stretch looking for light some also.

No light. No photosynthesis. No processes possible. That is why we can veg plants for 24 hrs. They don’t need a dark period except to bloom.

Both this and the flushing argument hold no basis in facts. Plenty of info out there.

P

PharmHand

Since leaves require light to perform photosynthesis, the colour of a leaf kept in the dark changes from a darker to a lighter shade of green. Sometimes, it also turns yellow. The production of the chlorophyll pigment essential for photosynthesis is directly proportional to the amount of light available. In the absence of light, the production of chlorophyll-a molecules stops and they get broken slowly. This changes the colour of the leaf gradually to light green. During this process, the xanthophyll and carotenoid pigments become predominant, causing the leaf to become yellow. These pigments are more stable as light is not essential for their production. They are always present in plants.

Plagiarized..... But if you see no value in this there’s no point trying to explain. Have you ever tried extended darkness at the beginning or end of flowering ? Have you noticed how the color changes? Have you ever left a piece of plywood on the lawn a few days? Until you’ve studied, tried and directly observed something it’s illogical to deny it

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Ok i will tell you this, giving a dark period haven’t helped me with frost. My plants were pretty frosty at that point.
But i can say the moving of the starches is a real thing. Thats why it is suggested to harvest fruits at the end of the light cycle, brix farming and all.
Starches are not good smoke, so moving them down to the roots is ideal.
But ime the only way to get real smooth smoke is to not overfeed. Once that calcium and magnesium and silicone and all the other shit is incorporated in to plant cells, there is no way to pull them back out.
The plant i pulled with a living organic soil and only water input is 10 times more cleaner from any other i smoked. And without any curing that is.

P

PharmHand

Ok i will tell you this, giving a dark period haven’t helped me with frost. My plants were pretty frosty at that point.
But i can say the moving of the starches is a real thing. Thats why it is suggested to harvest fruits at the end of the light cycle, brix farming and all.
Starches are not good smoke, so moving them down to the roots is ideal.
But ime the only way to get real smooth smoke is to not overfeed. Once that calcium and magnesium and silicone and all the other shit is incorporated in to plant cells, there is no way to pull them back out.
The plant i pulled with a living organic soil and only water input is 10 times more cleaner from any other i smoked. And without any curing that is.
I agree 100% organically produced bud and food tastes the best but imo the second you give the plant sugar, compost tea or “bennies” it’s no longer organic as you’ve taken away the plants control over what it takes up. It controls its uptake thru the extcretion of sugary exudates that attract specific bacteria to digest specific compounds that will give the plant just what it needs. You feed the wrong bacteria or throw the bacterial balance the plant has created in the root zone off you’re changing it’s plan

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I agree 100% organically produced bud and food tastes the best but imo the second you give the plant sugar, compost tea or “bennies” it’s no longer organic as you’ve taken away the plants control over what it takes up. It controls its uptake thru the extcretion of sugary exudates that attract specific bacteria to digest specific compounds that will give the plant just what it needs. You feed the wrong bacteria or throw the bacterial balance the plant has created in the root zone off you’re changing it’s plan

Now i agree to a point. I can see throwing too much wrong teas might throw off the balance of the soil bacteria but plant regulates itself.
In teas, after all, you cannot choose the specific strains of bacteria unless you use inoculants and only inoculants.
You just use an appropriate mix and hope for the best. So all those bacteria will be there and plant will still favor one over the other.
Now at this point introducing molasses or any sugar form is beneficial imo.
Even with organics, moderation is the key. I decided to do 3 teas all the way thru for example.
One to start the cooking of the soil, one wormcastings teas in veg and one guano tea at the flip.
Now after i water with those, plant will help colonize the ones that are useful and others will get eliminated.
Feeding too much molasses or applying bad teas are problems, no doubt.
But i don’t agree with teas making end products not “organic”.
Plant still regulates the bacteria, you just give the plant a very diversified menu to choose from.
Also just speeds up the process of colonization.
You’re not introducing something that plant sees as an enemy but rather seeks itself.
Thats my 2 cents.

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

I have always thought that a 24 hour dark period and then cutting a plant a the base and leaving a large portion of the stems on during drying essentially does the same thing but I could be wrong.
I have always been a fan of organics though so maybe I have just never experienced the harshness of overfeeding. Currently I'm running a new organic line my buddy suggested to me called Alpha Nutrients. They have a time release soil additive called Beta Balls and my plants are loving them paired with the grow and bloom I can say that.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I have always thought that a 24 hour dark period and then cutting a plant a the base and leaving a large portion of the stems on during drying essentially does the same thing but I could be wrong.
I have always been a fan of organics though so maybe I have just never experienced the harshness of overfeeding. Currently I'm running a new organic line my buddy suggested to me called Alpha Nutrients. They have a time release soil additive called Beta Balls and my plants are loving them paired with the grow and bloom I can say that.
Yeah it does, 3 days supposedly stresses them and causes more trichs but i cannot see it happenin on my plants.
Until i did an only water grow i thought my buds were smooth too. It is partly about genetics of course but not feeding too much, even with organics helps with the taste.
I just tasted a bud, eventho i pulled it early and flavor is sub-par , the smoke is the same as my 3 months curing nl from the prior organic soil grow. This bud went into jars 2-3 days ago.
After all, the bacteria break down what you put in to its most basic form that plant can uptake. With a thriving soil, there are nutes coming in from everywhere and plant incorporated these in cells and processes. This is just my experience, even with organics, it’s better to go in moderation.
Besides giving a cleaner bud, it saves money too. The tricky part and the part needed mastering in organic soil imo is, giving just enough to get the cleanest smoke while getting the lbs or ozs, no more, no less.

P

PharmHand

Now i agree to a point. I can see throwing too much wrong teas might throw off the balance of the soil bacteria but plant regulates itself.
In teas, after all, you cannot choose the specific strains of bacteria unless you use inoculants and only inoculants.
You just use an appropriate mix and hope for the best. So all those bacteria will be there and plant will still favor one over the other.
Now at this point introducing molasses or any sugar form is beneficial imo.
Even with organics, moderation is the key. I decided to do 3 teas all the way thru for example.
One to start the cooking of the soil, one wormcastings teas in veg and one guano tea at the flip.
Now after i water with those, plant will help colonize the ones that are useful and others will get eliminated.
Feeding too much molasses or applying bad teas are problems, no doubt.
But i don’t agree with teas making end products not “organic”.
Plant still regulates the bacteria, you just give the plant a very diversified menu to choose from.
Also just speeds up the process of colonization.
You’re not introducing something that plant sees as an enemy but rather seeks itself.
Thats my 2 cents.
Organically grown is a pretty loose term, just my interpretation :) I eat organic and grow with salts/organic. The salts are much easier to leach out but organic compounds add flavor

H

Highkev

If that was case outdoor plants would be in higher demand than indoor,I cant give outdoor shit away.
Trichs come down to genetics and temperature,only thing i ever seen to make a difference.still not buying the whole uv thing.cmh is supposed to have more uv than hps but I see no difference in trichs on the same clones on both different runs.
Also why do lower buds away from the lights always seem more frosty than the ones right up under the lights?
My top buds seem to have the most frost

H

Highkev

and plenty of them,buy the way in the 60s and 70s there were hps bulbs,you climbed about 40 ft in air and snatched them,rest assure with all the science and all the experience of growers,you will never replicate the sun,but in the end you will feel the sun,far as not being able to give outdoor weed away your full of grade a horse shit,and more likely some city boy,that straight up bull shit and words from a grower that just cant dig bugs in the garden,jess ive heard it all now.
growing weed is no difrent from trees or veggies,all in tecnic,stick with your own and roll on ,take the word of all these books in 10 years you be at a flea market trying to sell all the shit that was the next best thing,soil,water and wide open spaces get you all the bud you need,cause all these sales gimmicks are just lining someone pocket and you have the need to be the next biggest producer of product,aint hating,but while you do it,keep in mind someones baby is out there,maybe with problems and trying to cover those problems with a little weed,like high,goes on to the H if you dig,this i can say i never have sold to anyone and wont,i have a open mind and refuse to stray someone else mind in a diretion of the easy way,when in reality only thing easy is death ,i think im about done with this site anyway,always some idiot with same shit,lights ,nutrients,soil water,any thing for a shits giggle right mod.
Never say never

H

Highkev

So what is the best genetic pot seed possible

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Organically grown is a pretty loose term, just my interpretation :) I eat organic and grow with salts/organic. The salts are much easier to leach out but organic compounds add flavor

We all have interpretations of our own i guess. Its cool. The salts are much easier to over due too and with bacterial food web it is easy to stop the feeding process, you dont have to leach or flush. Just let it dry and bacteria will die and plant will not be able to eat much after that point.

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

So what is the best genetic pot seed possible
It's all dependant on why you want to grow.
Different strains do different things. It's all a matter of what you're smoking for and what you want it to do for you.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

The dark period is more about cold temps/crisper environment than some photosynthetic stress mumbo jumbo. And of course "nutes" in the plant going to the roots (someone said starches, is there a citation for that?)

If someone is getting higher thc %, how is that measured? Fresh cut full of water? I always thought it was more visual, same with uv curing. Really seems to make the trichs pop.

Cold temp is the flushing agent of organic. The microbes of the plant's inside-out digestive system aka rhizo, are put to sleep. A lot of indoor organic smells/tastes like it's medium and never cures out into candy, that's probably why, they don't stop uptake or harvest at night. The number one reason store bought herb tastes bad and doesn't smell right is the presence of nutes, I'm convinced. It doesn't just mask flavor/smell, it wipes it out. Same thing with organic I'd assume.

Organic doesn't have to be a loose term. Eating food is organic, microbes in your belly organ doing the work. IV bag and vitamins, analogous to hydroponic methodology, are inorganic, no microbial digestion required. And your burps smell funny. Hopefully hydroponic will be a passing trend, as it's industry is the source of so much bullshit. It took me a long time to realize why so many people are confused about curing. Because when you grow hydro, the best you can do is feed lightly and preserve the minimal secondary metabolites, the off-gassing terps from the grow,nothing new develops after harvest and symbiotic activity is at a minimum.

PS Whoever says flushing is a myth should go buy some bell peppers right now, out of season so they'll be hydroponic, and tell me they don't smell like a garden hose or an inflatable raft when you cut into one. And have a weird inner texture that squirts in your eye when you slice em. And tastes like robot turds.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The dark period is more about cold temps/crisper environment than some photosynthetic stress mumbo jumbo. And of course "nutes" in the plant going to the roots (someone said starches, is there a citation for that?)

If someone is getting higher thc %, how is that measured? Fresh cut full of water? I always thought it was more visual, same with uv curing. Really seems to make the trichs pop.

Cold temp is the flushing agent of organic. The microbes of the plant's inside-out digestive system aka rhizo, are put to sleep. A lot of indoor organic smells/tastes like it's medium and never cures out into candy, that's probably why, they don't stop uptake or harvest at night. The number one reason store bought herb tastes bad and doesn't smell right is the presence of nutes, I'm convinced. It doesn't just mask flavor/smell, it wipes it out. Same thing with organic I'd assume.

Organic doesn't have to be a loose term. Eating food is organic, microbes in your belly organ doing the work. IV bag and vitamins, analogous to hydroponic methodology, are inorganic, no microbial digestion required. And your burps smell funny. Hopefully hydroponic will be a passing trend, as it's industry is the source of so much bullshit. It took me a long time to realize why so many people are confused about curing. Because when you grow hydro, the best you can do is feed lightly and preserve the minimal secondary metabolites, the off-gassing terps from the grow,nothing new develops after harvest and symbiotic activity is at a minimum.

PS Whoever says flushing is a myth should go buy some bell peppers right now, out of season so they'll be hydroponic, and tell me they don't smell like a garden hose or an inflatable raft when you cut into one. And have a weird inner texture that squirts in your eye when you slice em. And tastes like robot turds.

Flushing is a myth. The peppers you buy are not always hydroponic and i fail to see how this whole pepper debate relates to the topic.

The myth of flushing is expecting to get a cleaner smoke because you ran x times of water thru your medium. The ions or compounds in the plant will not be released into the soil. You have to feed lightly or let the plant use up everything in your pot, if you’re doing organics. Thats the flush. When plant starts eating itself.

Cold temps stunt or hurt the microherd. That limits the ability of the plant to take up nutes. Thats not a real flush. You would need to keep those temps for sometime to let the plant eat itself still. Plus stressful for the plant.

About storing starches on roots. Well the plant stores starches in the roots for long term storage and simple sugars are used by leaves and fruits and flowers. You’re actually just trying to make the plant use those stored starches to keep itself alive so you don’t smoke it. With these incredibly high dosage feeds and co2 supplementations and crazy big lights we sure are feeding it to the max. So a long dark period is not bad to let it use up all that starch.

Also dark period is not about crisper environment “mumbo jumbo”. Its to stop starch synthesis. Which is a “photosynthetic stress”.

Top Bottom