A/c + Evap Cooler + 1500ppm Co2

• Thread starter Hobojoe00
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hobojoe00

So i understand most swamp coolers pull air from outside of the greenhouse and add cold humidity that cools the room , that air is blown out of the room and new air is pulled in. Now if we just put the swamp cooler in the middle of the room , the humidity level would be too high going into the swamp cooler and it would not be able to cool. What if there was a a/c inside the room , that would take the cold air from the swamp cooler and remove the humidity and cool it down a little more. Once the a/c spits the air back out the swamp cooler with 50 degree pool water running threw it will then cool it down another 5-10 degrees wile adding the humidity back into it. This would allow me to have co2 in the green house because the air will be recirculated. The reason i ask is because my greenhouse is around 120 degrees during the day and i cant use it until i can figure out how to lower the temps , i think with just a a/c it would be too much and id like to find a use for the 30,000 gallons of 50 degree pool water. I'm located in southern California so humidity is low and the swamp cooler will work if i run it venting the greenhouse but id like to find a way to recirculate it. Thanks guys , maybe ill stir up some good ideas with this topic. look forward to hearing ideas.

realeyes

realeyes

So i understand most swamp coolers pull air from outside of the greenhouse and add cold humidity that cools the room , that air is blown out of the room and new air is pulled in. Now if we just put the swamp cooler in the middle of the room , the humidity level would be too high going into the swamp cooler and it would not be able to cool. What if there was a a/c inside the room , that would take the cold air from the swamp cooler and remove the humidity and cool it down a little more. Once the a/c spits the air back out the swamp cooler with 50 degree pool water running threw it will then cool it down another 5-10 degrees wile adding the humidity back into it. This would allow me to have co2 in the green house because the air will be recirculated. The reason i ask is because my greenhouse is around 120 degrees during the day and i cant use it until i can figure out how to lower the temps , i think with just a a/c it would be too much and id like to find a use for the 30,000 gallons of 50 degree pool water. I'm located in southern California so humidity is low and the swamp cooler will work if i run it venting the greenhouse but id like to find a way to recirculate it. Thanks guys , maybe ill stir up some good ideas with this topic. look forward to hearing ideas.

once you hit 80 % reletive humidity your swamp cooler does nothing . a mister system would do better with lesss. look up greenhouse mister systems . some are pretty high tech . sealed greenhouses are being done but the key is the co2 so you CAN do 90* and 80% humidity with explosive growth .
a" wet wall" may serve better but that is based on SQ footage

H

Hobojoe00

once you hit 80 % reletive humidity your swamp cooler does nothing . a mister system would do better with lesss. look up greenhouse mister systems . some are pretty high tech . sealed greenhouses are being done but the key is the co2 so you CAN do 90* and 80% humidity with explosive growth .
a" wet wall" may serve better but that is based on SQ footage

Thanks I'll look into the mister systems tonight. I know the swamp cooler won't work if the rh is over 80 but I think a 5,000 btu window unit "smallest 1 made" would remove the humidity and cool the air a little more , then the air with lower rh goes back threw the swamp cooler and gets chilled again. I'm only at 600 square feet.

realeyes

realeyes

Thanks I'll look into the mister systems tonight. I know the swamp cooler won't work if the rh is over 80 but I think a 5,000 btu window unit "smallest 1 made" would remove the humidity and cool the air a little more , then the air with lower rh goes back threw the swamp cooler and gets chilled again. I'm only at 600 square feet.

it will get pricey as you are dehueying then humidifiing the same air ...lol

H

Hobojoe00

The question is , does it cost as much as a big a/c would. If its cheaper then , mission accomplished. You could cool a greenhouse with cold water and a small a/c. You also wouldn't need a humidifier. I might have to try it if no one has. I'll keep bumping this for a month and see what turns up.

M

MamaBear

It's been past a month but . . .
I have a swamp cooler and a heat pump in my greenhouse.
The swamp cooler can get the greenhouse down about 20° then it's maxed out because of the humidity. It's dry here so I NEED that humidity anyway. On really hot days, it's not enough so I made a heat pump.
I'm sure you've seen vids about how to tie copper water line in a spiral around the front of a fan. Small fountain pump runs water through it from a small bucket (I use a cheap Styrofoam cooler) and works like a condenser coil on an A/C.
But the fan only takes about 100 watts and the pump uses about 5, so for 105 watts, I get an extra 10-15° cooler with it. I keep gallon jugs (heavy plastic - like bleach bottles - don't use milk jugs) filled with water and in my freezer. Drop 1 of those in the bucket/cooler 1-2 times per day and you've got ice water running through your coil. Plug both fan and pump into a timer and you've got automated cooling real cheap!
I already had the fan, got all the parts for less than $50.
Here's a good video for a smaller one, mine is much bigger and took 25' of copper tubing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom