Adding A Glass Lens To Cobs - Beneficial?

• Thread starter Fangthane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fangthane

Fangthane

I kinda jumped into growing on a whim, with a pitifully small budget. Between my lighting, soil, nutes, tent, pots, seeds, etc; I have about $300 invested so far, give or take. By the standards of those of you who've been doing it for a while and know what you're doing, I'm sure you'd consider my stuff total shit, but it's the best I could do. In the future, I intend to upgrade to Optic LED lighting, but for now I'm hoping I can improve what I already have with some small mods.

I'm currently running a Morsen Max5 as my main light. It's a "1500 watt" setup with an actual draw of around 240 watts. I paid $77 shipped from Amazon and so far the plants seem to be doing well enough, so in my mind I got a decent deal. Just wondering if I can make what I have a bit better until I can afford an update.

Adding a glass lens to cobs   beneficial

My question: Would there be any upside to adding glass lenses and reflectors to it?

Lenses

Would I gain anything at all by putting them on? Would it potentially hurt anything?

B

Burned Haze

I mean no offense , but I would not add a lense. When I talked with a cob kit vender ( not naming) he said they tried the lenses on the cob’s and they actually make the cob less efficient and no reason for it. The scoped looking reflectors do make the Spectrum more concentrate instead of being more broad ( 12-16 inches)

I’ve been running some of my cons without reflector ( gender suggested ) and with it and I’m still not 100% sure , give me round or two to try.

Fangthane

Fangthane

I mean no offense
None taken. I'm here to learn. My thinking was that, since I have a 3.5x3.5 tent but I'm unlikely to ever have more than 4 or 5 plants going at a time, there may be some benefit to focusing the output a bit more directly below the setup. As far as I know, my plants don't seem to be suffering from any heat-related problems, but I do live in a generally hot/dry region and it definitely gets pretty warm in the tent. I thought maybe better focused light might allow me to raise the lighting up a good bit, thus keeping the plants a bit cooler.

sixstring

sixstring

reflectors and lenses have there place,it just depends on how you plan to run your setup.one plus to lenses is being able to spray foliar the plants without fear of getting a cob/led wet. but if you get that much spray on your lights you might be doing it wrong lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom