Advanced Lighting Shootout- New 500W Plasma, Plasma+LED, Blackdog LED..

• Thread starter GoClutch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gyreman

Gyreman

I have yet to see an LED perform up to the hype they are getting. The few that have produced some decent quality were using the same amount of power as other light sources at a much higher cost to purchase. Where is the benefit in that?
the savings in A/C costs and replacement bulbs would have to be enough to offset the higher cost. Some think that it can. I just haven't seen any credible unbiased studies done and everyone I've talked with says stay away - and we have some awesome people on the team here.
That said, the Black Dog I believe uses 5watt led's and it will be interesting to see the results here and see if there's something new under the sun for real. The established led makers mostly claim 5 watts is a "proven" waste and that the "ideal" diodes for growing are "proven" to be the 3 watt. Sure ....ya okay. I don't mean disrespect....but you know...hey...show me then. Pushing snake oil is endemic to human nature....goes back as far as the cave man days so far as I can tell... and the purveyors of the fantasies - the true believers - aren't so much being dishonest as they are being undisciplined. So "Yay science and math!!!" is what I say...even with all the limitations therewith...lol.... and yay for Clutch....playing a part in forwarding the cultural evolution of our species.... like for real...and aren't we all...ha ha..there's a head trip.... and okay...led's have a place somewhere for some growers for sure obviously...

Last edited:
indogro

indogro

Whats the status on this? I'm curious which light had the the best veg growth?

Coir

Coir

You should run an HP4S.

Crazy high price for untested technology. I just finished testing some LED lighting for a local company and while they performed quite well in the veg cycle, they failed miserably in flower. I had high hopes that they would actually work as advertised but the 300W of LED was simply not even close to a 600W HPS in terms of yield and quality. The test was run with everything being identical except for the light which was supposed to be a direct replacement for a 600W. Yield ended up less than 10% from the LED's compared to the HPS.
When I can see it with my own eyes, I will gladly witch but I have yet to see any LED actually live up to the hype the manufacturers give them.

Gyreman

Gyreman

Hmmmmm since August. I wonder if his test was shut down by threats from one of the manufacturers? Are such sided by side trials allowed in this forum? I can see where a manufacturer might complain about uncontrolled variables and unfair results and blah blah blah..... That said... it kinda sucks if that's what's happening here....

venial

venial

i think he fell off the earth they should have been done months ago id think

Desertboy

Desertboy

led's are cracking growing lights.....

For lettuces but if you want the plant to flower you're pretty fucked.

OctoMouse

OctoMouse

"As for the Chameleon plasma, I would suggest the "Rocket Plasma" ( http://www.rocketplasma.com/rocketspecs/ ) to replace it. The Rocket Plasma has a 3000k spectrum and is specifically made for growing plants.
The lowest color temperature I have seen from Gavita and Chameleon ( without the red leds) is 5600k I believe. Even Gavita doesn't suggest that their plasma lights be used as a stand alone flowering fixture.
Rocket Plasma just announced a 470 watt version of their fixture. You will only find photos of it on their Facebook or instagram page at the moment though. They haven't updated their website yet in regards to the 470 watt unit."

Chameleon Plasma is 97% PAR, specifically engineered to grow plants. 5500K CCT. 95 CRI.
The Chameleon and Gavita instruments themselves are very different. They are engineered in different ways, reflect light in different ways, and draw different amounts of power.
Chameleon Plasma also has a 500w Plasma with Red LED spectrum enhancers that have been tested on cannabis and produced 10-13% more assayable cannabinoids.

GroLightBoss

GroLightBoss

Yeah I would definitely suggest better fixtures than the Blackdog led and Chameleon 500 watt plasma. The BML horticulture Spydr fixture that was suggested by someone else is a good choice but. Only if you get them to make a custom spectrum that is predominantly white leds with some 630 and 660 nm (or a mix of both) red leds or just all white 2700k and 3000k leds thrown in to the mix. The red/blue spectrum that BML has as a "Grow-Max" ( ) spectrum is old news in the led world in my opinion. Most good led companies are using predominantly white led designs now.

As for the Chameleon plasma, I would suggest the "Rocket Plasma" ( http://www.rocketplasma.com/rocketspecs/ ) to replace it. The Rocket Plasma has a 3000k spectrum and is specifically made for growing plants. Topanga ( http://topangatech.com/products/ bulb spectrum is not shown on their website look at Rocket Plasma's website for spectrum ) supplies "Rocket Plasma" and Alphalite. The Chameleon plasma is just like the Gavita plasma lights that has been thoroughly tested by Gavita. Luxim ( http://www.luxim.com/products/grow-lighting ) supplies both Chameleon and Gavita with their plasma technology. The lowest color temperature I have seen from Gavita and Chameleon ( without the red leds) is 5600k I believe. Even Gavita doesn't suggest that their plasma lights be used as a stand alone flowering fixture.

"So in conclusion:
- We recommend the 01 version as most efficient to complement HPS light during the generative phase and suitable for short vegetative cycles
- The 02 version is also suitable for a combination with HPS, but has a better quality than the 01 for vegetative development, so it is best utilized in a pure vegetative environment or for sunlight simulations
- Use one Gavita Pro 300 LEP in combination with a maximum of 1200W HPS lighting for a better color spectrum which results in healthier plants, higher quality and a better yielding crop"
http://www.gavita-holland.com/helpdesk/download_attachment.php?kb_att=1

Rocket Plasma just announced a 470 watt version of their fixture. You will only find photos of it on their Facebook or instagram page at the moment though. They haven't updated their website yet in regards to the 470 watt unit.

Thanks for setting up a test like this. It is important that these types of tests are done so people can see what works.

Haven't seen the new Rocket yet. Have a 502 client using the standalone IUNU's in Seattle in veg right now and the structure + leaf position looks pretty good. Excited to see how he flowers with them.

Top Bottom