Advice For Co2 Terp Extraction?

• Thread starter krstphrrbn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

krstphrrbn

Hi everyone!

Hoping to get some tips on terpene extraction. We're running a 5L, 2000psi Apeks, and after trying multiple experiments, I'm struggling to find the right parameters for pulling terps at the beginning of each run.

I know, generally, you want lower pressure and temps, but anyone willing to share their parameters (temp, psi, time) for good terp runs?! :)

I know a lot of folks are reluctant to share, which has made it REALLY hard to learn about extraction.. so I'd really love any input you have! hoping to find a few folks interested in building a little collaborative community.
Thanks all!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Maybe @Graywolf will chime in. Even @EugeneOregon may be able to help as well.

S

SCH

From my experience, you want to be in the low pressure supercritical region. 30-35C 1,000-1500psi.

Better terpene extraction in cold liquid CO2 is just a marketing pitch. In the low temperature, liquid region CO2 behaves like a traditional liquid solvent and there is very little selectivity for light volatiles. This will extract terpenes and cannabinoids (slowly) with almost no chance of fractionating the extract.

Hope that helps!

A

Arty

Hi everyone!

Hoping to get some tips on terpene extraction. We're running a 5L, 2000psi Apeks, and after trying multiple experiments, I'm struggling to find the right parameters for pulling terps at the beginning of each run.

I know, generally, you want lower pressure and temps, but anyone willing to share their parameters (temp, psi, time) for good terp runs?! :)

I know a lot of folks are reluctant to share, which has made it REALLY hard to learn about extraction.. so I'd really love any input you have! hoping to find a few folks interested in building a little collaborative community.
Thanks all!

Hey!
I know how it is in the beginning but if you keep searching you will find the answer!
It was hard and almost seem disrespectful to ask such questions. I find it better to network and share. All machines seem to have different sweet spots in my opinion. personally I run a 20l critical solutions at sub critical 950/700/680 for and hour and then bump to super critical at 1100/800/680 for another hour, then start my run. Best thing is to try all different parameters and record your data.

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

Hey @2krstphrrbn, I have the same Apeks extraction machine and have got great HTSFE results from my research. The most important thing about extracting terpenes is having a low molecular density while processing. And the easiest thing guide you with this is a helpful tool I'll share with you: https://www.irc.wisc.edu/properties/ Usually I try ranging my molecular density around 43 lb/ft³ to 46 lb/ft³. If you go any higher you'll start to extract more of the less volatile oils like thc/v, fats, lipids and so on. Which ends up leaving the terpenes milky looking. The trick about this though is using the right orifice size and setting up your system up a bit differently. You're trying to collect the terpenes in the collection cup without them going past the first separation vessel and separating inside the system past the second one. I also usually I let it run for about an hour in a half to collect the terpenes. If you run longer you risk the terps getting milky.

Hope that helps!

Terps

Latest posts

Top Bottom